Del Boy

Opening line... ‘best price?’

What kind of success rate are you guys having when the opening line (over the phone) is ‘hi, what’s the best price on this car?’

I’ve had it loads recently and they’ve been nothing but time wasters 

20 minutes ago, Del Boy said:

What kind of success rate are you guys having when the opening line (over the phone) is ‘hi, what’s the best price on this car?’

We just repeat the advertised price or up it be £500:and tell them that's the best price lol 

• Like 1

Tell them its £1000 more than the advertised price then dont say a word

My best price or your best price? 

Then play it by ear from there...

Even the “best price” brigade has to buy from somewhere so I will always give it a try. 

This line has come over with the Eastern European’s. It’s not an English style of negotiation and I fucking hate it, it’s such a blank way of doing a deal. No personality, no charm, just show me the money. 

• Like 1

I thought Best price was more asian / arabic expression where haggling is part of life.

LAST price is definitely Eastern European. 

Last price is definitely Nigerian, only they use that term. Best price is for every other clown out there that wastes our time 

27 minutes ago, Scooby who said:

Last price is definitely Nigerian, only they use that term. Best price is for every other clown out there that wastes our time 

Had Nigerians turn up at my house......... Demanding I take PayPal! 

Edited by Dealer

11 hours ago, Del Boy said:

Fuck all.

Don’t waste your time negotiating because whatever you say over the phone isn’t good enough for these type of people & they always want it for less - most don’t have anything approaching sensible money anyway. Even if you allowed them to rape you most of these bottom dollar twats would then want to rape your Mrs/partner/lover (delete as appropriate :lol:).

Depending on how the punter sounds & how direct I feel the need to be, my response is a variation on this;

That’s the price, It’s freshly MOTed, described correctly, xxxx service history & honestly videoed. If that price isn’t good enough there’s plenty of rubbish out there with 3 months MOT, knackered tyres & brakes. I’m doing the job right, if you want to buy shit to transport your family then go & do so.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Del Boy said:

0% - Put it this way, I don't put any pressure on our guys if they don't answer these queries.  I prefer to not deal with them as they are more often than not wanting something for nothing.  Wheels done cause 1 has a slight scratch, a panel sprayed because there is 1 stone chip on it, 2 years warranty upgrade for free, etc.  They are usually on site for about 2 hours, taking up a salesman time and more often than not mine as they haggle for more.  Someone else can deal with that.  

Edited by Earunder

13 hours ago, Del Boy said:

You say, “when you are here, and you’ve seen the car, and I am happy to sell you the car, we can discuss the price”

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Del Boy said:

I rarely seem to get this type of enquiry anymore these  past few years. But I wouldn't mind one or 2 just to have a bit of fun.

Ask the enquiry how much they want to pay for it, wait for their offer and I then just say I will think about it, and have a chat with the wife etc, and get back to you, then promptly disconnect the call without any further conversation! Sometimes they even call back saying the line went dead. One chap even called back about 5 times once asking if I had spoken to my wife yet. Poor bloke, he just didn't get it. 

But seriously though, I may have dealt with only just 1 or 2 customers over the years whos opening line has been 'whats your best/last price'. I mean, Nick is correct above saying that they have to buy a car somewhere, but is it really worth speaking at length to 50 odd enquiries explaining the benefits of buying from you, which may result in 1 deal? I don't have the will or the time for this type of customer so my conclusion is fuck them off as they will all ultimately buy a car from a like minded source with a burner phone. 

15 hours ago, Del Boy said:

that you are happy to discuss the price in person when they have looked at the car with you. If they arent prepared to come and look, there really is no point in going any further.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, metcars said:

Have any of you guys had to deal with 'travellers?'

Only at gunpoint when they tried to move on to my old mans farm!

20 minutes ago, CRW said:

Only at gunpoint when they tried to move on to my old mans farm!

they don't buy off us, they like new white Q7's etc

Makes you wonder how they’ll function in what is soon becoming a cashless society? 

5 hours ago, MattR said:

that you are happy to discuss the price in person when they have looked at the car with you. If they arent prepared to come and look, there really is no point in going any further.

That's a good one and common response . I've heard it before with negotiations and had actually forgot till now I might use that .. 

Just had what sounded like one of Nigeria’s finest on the phone; “What is your best price?”

He sounded wounded when I said he just wanted cheap rubbish so he should go & buy it. He reckons he doesn’t want cheap! He reckons he’s a serious buyer, although he hadn’t bothered reading the advert, didn’t know it was a decent model, historied up & decent miles. All this cnut sees is the bottom line but as he said, he doesn’t want cheap.

I’m ashamed to say I wasted 4 minutes of my life trying to educate this thick head, making him open up the internet advert & read it back to me :lol:. He’s letting me know..........

1 hour ago, BHM said:

Just had what sounded like one of Nigeria’s finest on the phone; “What is your best price?”

He sounded wounded when I said he just wanted cheap rubbish so he should go & buy it. He reckons he doesn’t want cheap! He reckons he’s a serious buyer, although he hadn’t bothered reading the advert, didn’t know it was a decent model, historied up & decent miles. All this cnut sees is the bottom line but as he said, he doesn’t want cheap.

I’m ashamed to say I wasted 4 minutes of my life trying to educate this thick head, making him open up the internet advert & read it back to me :lol:. He’s letting me know..........

That’s the last time you’ll ever hear that mans voice lol. 

On 1/7/2020 at 11:03 PM, Nick M.K. said:

I thought Best price was more asian / arabic expression where haggling is part of life.

LAST price is definitely Eastern European. 

Correct, as usual.

Best price is a middle eastern thing. Down the souk bartering for turnips. 

It's irritating and similarly to the clap, it's not going anywhere.

• Like 1

I’ve used the following quite a few times in the past I these foreign non buyers. 

Mr Customer.... if you were in the market place for a parachute would you be looking for the cheapest ? No you wouldn’t, you’d be wanting to buy from the most reputable source with the best reputation, the best quality, the best prepared, the best folded to ensure you have a safe landing, it’s exactly the same when buying a car. Your priorities are wrong if all you are looking for is CHEAP.... if you buy CHEAP you pay twice....

As all my cars are “buy it now” via a nominal fully refundable deposit upfront, only pay balance when happy, nowadays  it’s very rare I get asked. 

If someone does politely ask “is there anything I can do” then I’ll usually will give them £50 worth of fuel, they’re usually very grateful for the gesture. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, EPV said:

Correct, as usual.

Best price is a middle eastern thing. Down the souk bartering for turnips. 

It's irritating and similarly to the clap, it's not going anywhere.

It’s interesting when you watch tv programmes about Chinese markets and even those vendors can get irritated by this? It’s a wonder they sell anything when they have to spend 30mins haggling over a £10 t-shirt?