i have a clio here came in at £400

needed

a throttle body as it goes into limp over 3000 revs

a wheel as on these cars these alloys are made of chocolate

a front road spring,its the law these break by the way

a £70 mates rates paint job on the offside rear quarter

an mot to prove due diligence

oh and both anti roll bar drop linky things as the rubbers had deteriated

then i get an ex customer in who thinks i can sell it to her for £800,i cant and wont

now lets try something simple like a mondeo diesel:lol:

why do i do this job? well it were this, the going darn pit ,or going up chimleys see

• Like 1

There's two schools of thought with this. I'm of the view that warranty firms give you a perceived credibility and self warranty is open to perceived abuse of the consumer's rights.

Others might say you end up paying twice (and sometimes you will).

I've been talking to some poor lass on Facebook that just (on the face of it) got shafted by her dealer on a car she's had 6 weeks. The temptation to do this when cashflow is tight (it always is) can be too much for some.

There's two schools of thought with this. I'm of the view that warranty firms give you a perceived credibility and self warranty is open to perceived abuse of the consumer's rights.

Others might say you end up paying twice (and sometimes you will).

I've been talking to some poor lass on Facebook that just (on the face of it) got shafted by her dealer on a car she's had 6 weeks. The temptation to do this when cashflow is tight (it always is) can be too much for some.

how did she get shafted ?

• Like 1

She bought an 06 plate Zafira auto with 21k on the clock.The gearbox has gone. He's offering £300 and she pays the rest. He's self-warranted so I can see what's happening but I don't have the whole story.

After 6 weeks, with the car unusable he needs to be fixing this.

(Disclaimer: I know customers lie. Especially on Facebook selling pages when They're slagging dealers. She said she'd paid £5k for this, which seems a tad unlikely)

Edited by Rosemotors

yes, i think i'll go with WARRANTYWISE to start and Bollingtons as my broker.

Found a cheap website designer and now just need to buy a fairly good camera I guess !!  

Thanks for all your advice so far and hope business is good. BTW if anyone is in the READING area then I would be looking for a good garage to take px and trade vehicles from to sell on. cheers guys..... 

What are you doing for a website?  with car sales you need one that feeds from somewhere ie autotrader or else you have to add each car manually which is a complete PITA.  

Basic autotrader Razor site might be a good start.

Simon, I have been doing this job for nearly 2 years, I previously had no experience in selling cars, I started buying a couple of cars on gumtree and selling on from home with £2000 worth of stock, (I did have traders insurance and just told the customers that I was short on stock and the auction was too expensive for me, which was true, nobody seemed bothered) 2 years on ive got a car pitch that holds around 20 cars with a stock valuation of £30000.

What I'm saying is if I can do it anyone can if they have the desire and passion, I didn't even know the difference between a clutch slipping and a gearbox grinding! I didn't have a clue what a smart repair was, but you learn as you go along and then once you start to get the swing of it you've got to pay vat, that was the killer for me but its motivated even me more. I know some people are worn down by this industry and I fully understand, I sold 5 cars last week and all of the buggers have come back for warranty work! That's the biggest stress for me, when your sat at home just getting cosy at 8pm and some nutter who bought a car 2 months ago is screaming at you because the clutch has gone and they want you to sort a tow truck NOW!!!

Please give it a go, you only regret the things you don't do and if you want a really good PDF file that got me started from an experienced car dealer just put your email address on the thread and I'll send it over.

Also I'd recommend reading a book napoleon hill called think and grow rich, it really helps me through the tough times and there's a lot!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Please give it a go, you only regret the things you don't do and if you want a really good PDF file that got me started from an experienced car dealer just put your email address on the thread and I'll send it over.

Also I'd recommend reading a book napoleon hill called think and grow rich, it really helps me through the tough times and there's a lot!!!!!!!

can I have this PDF as well please? :) info@rjmagpie.co.uk

Would be great if you could send me the pdf too! you should have charged for it David!

walshie1975@outlook.com

No probs chaps I will send the PDF tonight! Just putting the little one to bed

Can I have it too ? :P

uglcars@gmail.com

Hi

can I please also have a copy. My email addy is mike12345.uk@gmail.com

thx

Mike

What is it Umesh?.... vat? warranties? profit?....... Im still learning, although Im pretty sure Ill be still saying the same thing in 10 years time being in this game, ha!!!

• Like 1

Thanks for the PDF David.

Is the author still in the business? I couldn't find anything after a quick search on google.

Hi all, I’m doing a university project on “How the government can increase the use of Electric Vehicles in the UK” and I would like input from as many car users in the UK on a survey I have created. It has 10 questions and only takes about 2-3 minutes. Please help me doing it J

Here is the link: https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/PH95C7H

Thanks a lot,
Mads
p.s. If the admins think this constitutes as spam or it is in the wrong section please feel free to remove or delete this thread.

done, but I'm not sure what the aim of the survey is. Have you looked on speak ev ? The main issue is range, it needs to average 150 miles comfortably for me to consider given the range drops significantly in cold weather, the other issue is charging infrastructure.