BMWbimmers

Buyer wanting to return a vehicle?

Hi lads I was wondering if someone could help me out with this one. 

I sold a performance car in October as a motor trader to a private individual, it was a damaged repaired Cat S, the buyer took out an independent inspection by a dealership and was happy to commence with the sale, the car sold for half it’s retail value ( if it wasn’t recorded) and I’ve just got a call today saying that the sill has a dent in it and he wants a full refund. 

I was  wondering I stand with this as an inspection was taken out, the car was sold for half it’s value and the buyer was happy to go through with the sale. 

Its a 2019 car with just under 2000 miles at the time if that’s any use 

to add to this I wasn’t aware there was this damAge present on the vehicle 

I would just dig my heels in and refuse especially if buyer has had an inspection done. I would chance my arm at getting a copy of the customers inspection report too.

I agree with Mark and I am soft as shit. Mind you that must have been a whack to CAT S a 19 plater with no miles - you’re braver than me.

Nothing's gone wrong with the car though. He and his inspector just didn't use their eyes properly.

It's taken him a month and a half to notice. I'm not quite sure what his case/reasoning is.

If you weren't aware there was a dent, there's also a good chance that he whacked it into the kerb.

Edited by tradegirl

Surely if its clearly stated on the pdi and invoice and signed that it was cat s and had been inspected by the buyer and inspected by an independent   then he has no grounds for a refund  

Just now, trade vet said:

How was it described on the sales invoice ?

Beat me to it  but agree if it is described on there he has no grounds knowing what he/she bought in the first place    

What sort of sill damage are you talking about. Is this something he could done to the car in his possession? 

He carried out an inspection pre purchase? I’d have that plastered all over the paperwork.

It’s as good as sold as seen if so!

i love it when they inspect them and then still buy.

Edited by justlooking

1 hour ago, MarkTVS said:

I would just dig my heels in and refuse especially if buyer has had an inspection done. I would chance my arm at getting a copy of the customers inspection report too.

Currently just waiting for his report and then I can see exactly what he’s saying is wrong with the car 

1 hour ago, Mark101 said:

I agree with Mark and I am soft as shit. Mind you that must have been a whack to CAT S a 19 plater with no miles - you’re braver than me.

It looked like light damage, only a ding on the passenger quarter to categorise it as a cat S 

28 minutes ago, tradegirl said:

Nothing's gone wrong with the car though. He and his inspector just didn't use their eyes properly.

It's taken him a month and a half to notice. I'm not quite sure what his case/reasoning is.

If you weren't aware there was a dent, there's also a good chance that he whacked it into the kerb.

The car had a full clean health check from mangoletsi in knutsford before it left me, 

fellas taken it to a garage because the wheels crab when cold when full locked, but that’s normal in this car.. having 4 of these cars previously and dealer confirming that it’s normal too so definitely no fault on that end 

garage advised him there’s a dent on the inner sill

29 minutes ago, trade vet said:

How was it described on the sales invoice ?

“Sold as cat S, no warranty damaged repaired inspection carried out”

12 minutes ago, JDM1983 said:

What sort of sill damage are you talking about. Is this something he could done to the car in his possession? 

He’s saying there’s a dent on the inner sill

1 minute ago, justlooking said:

He carried out an inspection pre purchase? I’d have that plastered all over the paperwork.

It’s as good as sold as seen if so!

i love it when they inspect them and then still buy.

Yup stated on the invoice that it was inspected by a dealership, surely they should be liable if they’ve missed something out?

I’m hoping you listed the dent on the Pdi if you did one.

if you did a Pdi and the dents not listed, you can prove it wasn’t there at purchase. Winner

Sill has a dent in it and wants a full refund, what are wrong with these people!

If he missed it prior to sale then it’s his responsibility for not checking the car properly.

stinks of buyers remorse.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BMWbimmers said:

It looked like light damage, only a ding on the passenger quarter to categorise it as a cat S 

Did you buy it damaged or repaired? That wouldn't make it a Cat S. Not a 2019 car.

As far I can tell this is not a valid reason to reject a car- whether cat s or not. Plus  it’s over 30 days. 
Would be a big no from me,  and I’m the same as Mark 101, anything for an easy life....

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, tradegirl said:

Did you buy it damaged or repaired? That wouldn't make it a Cat S. Not a 2019 car.

They would probably class the quarter as a structural part . 

1 hour ago, have a word with the wife said:

From what i am reading, being a cat s in this circumstance is actually a help not a hindrance !

I would agree .

Someone has bought a car they cannot really afford so they have had to buy a whacker. They have taken delivery of the car and the reality of owning one doesn't live up to the pedestal that the car has been placed on in his dreams - the thrill has now gone.

Never meet your heroes springs to mind.

What Beemer was it (I am guessing M4 Coupe)

I have recently had exactly the same. Discounted a CAT D Kia Venga from Retail £9500 to £6500. The lady a week later wanted the whole car resprayed at a cost of £8500.

knowing how this would play out, we referred her to Lawgistic's who put her right. Anything cosmetic is sold as seen. If you've sold it as a Cat S and the new owner accepts that, then it is his/her responsibility to repair any necessary issues associated with the accident. However you would still be responsible for any mechanical issues not raised at time of sale.   

A dent can happen at any time. Maybe before it was bought, maybe after. Has he gone too fast over a speed hump? Run over something like those left over bits of tyre you sometimes see on the motorway? His mechanic mate not put it on a ramp properly? the list is endless. No rejection in my book.

19 hours ago, justlooking said:

I’m hoping you listed the dent on the Pdi if you did one.

if you did a Pdi and the dents not listed, you can prove it wasn’t there at purchase. Winner

Only thing regarding the damage was on the invoice for repairs 

19 hours ago, trade vet said:

Sounds OK,except did the customer sign your invoice.

Yes customer signed the invoice

18 hours ago, James01 said:

Sill has a dent in it and wants a full refund, what are wrong with these people!

If he missed it prior to sale then it’s his responsibility for not checking the car properly.

stinks of buyers remorse.

Thinks it costing him to much to run lol

18 hours ago, tradegirl said:

I brought it damaged as a cat S registered in January 2019

14 hours ago, have a word with the wife said:

From what i am reading, being a cat s in this circumstance is actually a help not a hindrance !

Car was sold for half it’s retail value so that should help to an extent hopefully 

6 hours ago, tradex said:

That's what I was thinking! 

If it had small dent in rear quarter it wouldn't be CAT S being so nearly new and with such low miles? Flood damaged?

But then again how would it receive a dented inner sill....but that could mean in the cabin, or underneath? 

To the OP, did you repair yourself or purchase after being repaired? 

Buyers remorse here....although at 50% of retail why moan. But surely it would've made far more than 50% retail when sold off as scrap....all very puzzling?

It was repaired by my mate who repairs all my cars for me, never had a problem before! 

I lost all the pictures on my phone so couldn’t produce any pre repair pictures, made it very hard to sell!

5 hours ago, Mark101 said:

Someone has bought a car they cannot really afford so they have had to buy a whacker. They have taken delivery of the car and the reality of owning one doesn't live up to the pedestal that the car has been placed on in his dreams - the thrill has now gone.

Never meet your heroes springs to mind.

What Beemer was it (I am guessing M4 Coupe)

Alfa Romeo 2.9 Giulia Quadrifoglio Nring

4 hours ago, Funny Farm said:

I have recently had exactly the same. Discounted a CAT D Kia Venga from Retail £9500 to £6500. The lady a week later wanted the whole car resprayed at a cost of £8500.

knowing how this would play out, we referred her to Lawgistic's who put her right. Anything cosmetic is sold as seen. If you've sold it as a Cat S and the new owner accepts that, then it is his/her responsibility to repair any necessary issues associated with the accident. However you would still be responsible for any mechanical issues not raised at time of sale.   

No mechanical issues except for the crabbing at the wheels which is normal when cold 

He’s only complaining about the dent which, if it was there at the time of repairing, would have 100% be repaired. I don’t cut corners just for reasons like this

2 hours ago, MattR said:

A dent can happen at any time. Maybe before it was bought, maybe after. Has he gone too fast over a speed hump? Run over something like those left over bits of tyre you sometimes see on the motorway? His mechanic mate not put it on a ramp properly? the list is endless. No rejection in my book.

It was inspected by mangoletsi knutsford so it was a  thorough check 

I wouldn't be too bothered, mangoletsi are the oldest (50 years) alfa dealer in the u.k, that should surely carry some weight regards an inspection, and he decided to proceed with purchase after the car was inspected, and it sounds like he got a very cheap car, £55k new?

strange how it was written off at that age for a damaged quarter panel, are these aluminium/ honeycomb /bonded? maybe aluminium structure damage? or maybe it was nicked and payed out on, then found later with light damage?

If it were me i would have another look at it, then if happy with what i see tell him to jog on.

Let me get this right...... this remorseful buyer wants to reject after paying to have it professionally independently inspected by Alfa themselves ? He also wants to do this even though its past 30 days just because hes just noticed a dent ? 

Is this a wind up ????

8 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Let me get this right...... this remorseful buyer wants to reject after paying to have it professionally independently inspected by Alfa themselves ? He also wants to do this even though its past 30 days just because hes just noticed a dent ? 

Is this a wind up ????

I'm still trying to get my head around them writing off a £55k car for having a ding on the passenger quarter, and then also classing it as a category S meaning structural damage. Maybe his definition of a ding is different to mine?

5 minutes ago, J.T said:

I'm still trying to get my head around them writing off a £55k car for having a ding on the passenger quarter, and then also classing it as a category S meaning structural damage. Maybe his definition of a ding is different to mine?

I may be wrong and someone in the know can correct me and-also im unsure why they would write it off with the value but with the new category doesn't it just mean that cat s the damage is on a part which forms the car  Structure and cat n doesn't like bolt on doors wings etc and not really value related 

Edited by Casper