MattR

'whats the latest you're open till?'

Not my favourite question! But just had 2 calls in quick succession asking the same thing (first ones of the day). Especially as this evening I'm actually out with my Mrs, so finishing at 3 instead of 4.

Explained that I'm leaving at 3 today, come what may, as I'm out with the good lady. 'but I wanted to have a test drive!'. And you can, just get on your way now (only local) and thats fine. Lets see if that happens. 

5 minutes ago, tradex said:

If they turn up, it will 4:30 plus without so much as a courtesy call;)

they'll enjoy looking at it through the locked gates!

34 minutes ago, MattR said:

Not my favourite question! But just had 2 calls in quick succession asking the same thing (first ones of the day). Especially as this evening I'm actually out with my Mrs, so finishing at 3 instead of 4.

Explained that I'm leaving at 3 today, come what may, as I'm out with the good lady. 'but I wanted to have a test drive!'. And you can, just get on your way now (only local) and thats fine. Lets see if that happens. 

I point blank refuse to appoint anyone past 4pm, I just explain the them its far too intrusional on my family life, I like to sit down and have tea with my children, play with them, read to them etc. 

If they wish to purchase the car, they have to collect strictly by appointment between 7-4pm. 

We get that phone call a lot, what time are you open until..... reads as whats the latest we can show up

I'll stay open at midnight if it means selling a car. I've been bitten a few times though,  Once I opened up on a bank holiday Monday, the day we were going on holiday and Packing... Customer called to confirm they were coming, be there at 1... I have to go by 2 as i'm driving to Heathrow.... Yep we'll be there for 1..... never heard from em again! You can imagine the Mrs face when I rocked up at 2.15 with no order form.... still go to the airport in time

I try to stick to opening hours but flexible if arranged at least 24 hours before.

Sundays strictly appointment only, I'm not opening the gates for tyre kickers

and one of them just rang up (2.28PM). 'Hi I rang up earlier about the Mazda, google maps says we will be there in 29 minutes'

Me - 'sorry, as I said, I have to close at 3 today'. He sounded genuinely miffed. 

'Oh. But we want to have a look at it'

Me - ' I did explain earlier, i have a night out booked with my wife. And I'd rather disappoint you than her. I'm sure you understand.'

When are you next open? 

Monday.

Right, time to go and lock up before a tyre kicker gets in - I think the rain has washed away my enthusiasm today!

I packed up yesterday at 4pm in case someone turned up just before 5pm wanting to test drive something. 

I really need to start putting some effort in but the rain, dark and cold doesn’t fill me with enthusiasm. Rightly or wrongly, I always think someone will call back at a reasonable time if they are serious buyers.

41 minutes ago, Mat C said:

I'll stay open at midnight if it means selling a car.

They usually ask me "What time do you close?" and I say: WE DON'T CLOSE. All viewings are by appointment, which car do you want to BUY, how far do you have to travel and when do you want to come? Depending on the answers I will make the appointment for a time that suits us both, especially if they are travelling long distance, have no p/x and are pre-approved for my finance without the need for further docs. 

I,m really old school about closing , i will simply be here to sell a car , its that simple as far as I'm concerned , this week alone I've stayed open till 7pm and 8 pm to sell two cars , one on finance and one with a great px , sold the px two days later and made a good living from the three deals that wouldn't have taken place if I never stayed open  .

Even been here christmas day once , man rings when i was out in the woods with the dogs , I'm desperate for the GTI you have and I'm not a messer , got a Civic type R for Px too , arranged the time 50 mins later we met . GTI was a cracker , his Type R was a cracker and I went home after 30 mins with Debit card terminal full up and a nice type R which I sold in Jan .

Another rang me one Sunday at 2pm from 300 miles away in Scotland , when you open till ? 4pm I said , OH I want that Corsa VXR , we arranged for him to ring me when he was at junc 30 M1 , Rang at 9.50 pm and we met at 10.30 pm at the garage , he walked in went oh yea I'll take that , paid me and drove off , all in 20 mins . My thought was if he can drive from Scotland I will meet him . 

Some I will ask to deposit £200 before I agree but only if I get the slightest hesitation from them . But I've had some cracking deals early mornings at late nights , I live for the deal though , don't actually need the money really but the thought of missing that deal would kill me dead . 

How I was trained by dad years ago I think , He was the same :) bless him,:) bet he watches me now going go on lad get that deal in the bag 

• Like 1

Depends what makes you tick I suppose.

All I know is people mess you about and have no respect for the fact you also have a life to live.

Your business your choice. No right or wrong and whatever you do have no regrets!

I would be a lot more flexible if I didn't have 6 & 5 year old boys and a much younger wife. I'm 51 and wanna watch them grow, there's nothing more important than spending quality time with my family. That's why I work wisely and selfishly.

The idea I should change my family plans for some runt who just wants to "av a look" simply isn't going happen, especially when they haven't even bothered to read the advert, visited my website and watch the full video appraisal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David Horgan said:

I,m really old school about closing , i will simply be here to sell a car , its that simple as far as I'm concerned , this week alone I've stayed open till 7pm and 8 pm to sell two cars , one on finance and one with a great px , sold the px two days later and made a good living from the three deals that wouldn't have taken place if I never stayed open  .

Even been here christmas day once , man rings when i was out in the woods with the dogs , I'm desperate for the GTI you have and I'm not a messer , got a Civic type R for Px too , arranged the time 50 mins later we met . GTI was a cracker , his Type R was a cracker and I went home after 30 mins with Debit card terminal full up and a nice type R which I sold in Jan .

Another rang me one Sunday at 2pm from 300 miles away in Scotland , when you open till ? 4pm I said , OH I want that Corsa VXR , we arranged for him to ring me when he was at junc 30 M1 , Rang at 9.50 pm and we met at 10.30 pm at the garage , he walked in went oh yea I'll take that , paid me and drove off , all in 20 mins . My thought was if he can drive from Scotland I will meet him . 

Some I will ask to deposit £200 before I agree but only if I get the slightest hesitation from them . But I've had some cracking deals early mornings at late nights , I live for the deal though , don't actually need the money really but the thought of missing that deal would kill me dead . 

How I was trained by dad years ago I think , He was the same :) bless him,:) bet he watches me now going go on lad get that deal in the bag 

I like this david if it means getting a sale Id always be flexible from a reliable source or some one who sounds like one of leaves a deposit  ..and you can never have enough money david my friend laughed at me the other day when i said id have to do something even if i won the Euro millions  Just to keep busy 

Edited by Casper

1 hour ago, Mojo121 said:

All I know is people mess you about and have no respect for the fact you also have a life to live.

+1.

I’m flexible time-wise if I think there’s a sale to be had (Mon-Sat) but not with local test pilots - they can fit in with my plans. Tbh distance punters are what I prefer, it’s locals phoning for a look who “can’t make it for a day or two” that aren’t really serious anyway - they can fuck off.

• Like 2

When I worked from home, doorstepper - I would entertain almost anytime but now I have a 40 minute drive each way to the unit plus a drinking hobby, I am far stricter with my times.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

I would be a lot more flexible if I didn't have 6 & 5 year old boys and a much younger wife. I'm 51 and wanna watch them grow, there's nothing more important than spending quality time with my family. That's why I work wisely and selfishly.

The idea I should change my family plans for some runt who just wants to "av a look" simply isn't going happen, especially when they haven't even bothered to read the advert, visited my website and watch the full video appraisal.

I also agree with this too i think as bhm says you have to know if someone is serious like the guy who travelled to see David.

really you need a happy medium and a life too 

Family is important to i like to try and spend time with my ageing parents mum is fairly fit and healthy in her seventies but as people get older you never how long for but dad on the other hand in his late 70s has various medical conditions had a couple of heart attacks copd and now diagnosed with Alzheimer's and vascular dementia so ive not been as busy as i used to be through choice to help look after him and keep him at the family home  as long as possibly hopefully to see his life out there   ..

Edited by Casper

I used to take them at anytime but now I don’t deal with the sales personally the other guys aren’t too fond of staying late unless there getting paid more for it.

• Like 1

We're strictly 9am - 5pm. Won't do Sundays under any circumstances or appoint after 5pm. Occasionally go in a bit early for a handover but that's it. Probably costs a couple of deals a month but so be it.

1 minute ago, tradex said:

Bloody hell, someone who says "I'm not a messer" and actually isn't.....a rare bird that. 

So so true, 99.9999999% of the time “I’m not a messer” means exactly the opposite. 

I used to do Sundays 11 til 3 and at 2.45 you always got people ‘ en mass ‘ coming in and we would just ignore them as we were pulling the stock in.Some would ask for a run in something and we would say sorry they are out of time and they would often take the huff.I would then often make it worse by questioning where they had been since 11.,nice Sunday lunch ,look around B&Q then here etc.Some of them would understand.One guy however would come in with his wife every Sunday for a run out in something and we let him because he was a loyal customer.

31 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

When I worked from home, doorstepper - I would entertain almost anytime but now I have a 40 minute drive each way to the unit plus a drinking hobby, I am far stricter with my times.

It’s been two years since I’ve had my unit now, I’m still a doorstepper at heart, that won’t change. I just have somewhere to store and meet my customers :)

40 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

When I worked from home, doorstepper - I would entertain almost anytime

This. Trouble I’m having at this time of year though is people phone, but don’t want to come weekdays after work cos it’s dark. Which means it’s predominantly weekends, and those that can’t wait are going elsewhere

I can’t see how working from the door dictates your working hours. Surely one of the pluses of self-employment is choosing one’s own hours?

53 minutes ago, JDM1983 said:

This. Trouble I’m having at this time of year though is people phone, but don’t want to come weekdays after work cos it’s dark. Which means it’s predominantly weekends, and those that can’t wait are going elsewhere

How you work is your business, customers need managing though. Tell them to leave work a couple of hours early, if they want the car they will work around you.

If you are happy to be flexible, then no problem. 

1 hour ago, BHM said:

I can’t see how working from the door dictates your working hours. Surely one of the pluses of self-employment is choosing one’s own hours?

Prior to the unit: Meant all stock was at home. If someone called, no problem. Yes, I am on the outside of a few G&T’s but answering the door and unlocking a car would be no issue. Since moving to the unit, I cannot get in my car and drive anywhere because a) I don’t want to and b) it would be illegal as I am over the limit.