MarkTVS

Prep costs?

41 minutes ago, tradex said:

Yeah, but you can't keep them all and I had grand out of it.

Was replaced by a either a metallic black Lancia Integrale, or a Shovelnose Stingray or maybe '73 Montego MX 350 ci, long time ago now and I can't rememeber what did yesterday at the moment:D.

:):lol:

Hmmm prices prices !

£25 mot? Do they fail on everything? Seen one garage in Glasgow other week doing mot for £19.95 the heck is he making?

Anyways MOT i get for £40

Same as Mark for labour but at £40ish

Dont even ask about bodywork - going rate is £100 a panel but they are slow or shit at it and moan like hell!

Valet is £10 to £25 - "brother brother" just does the lot for a small price "for you"

4 hours ago, TangoVictor32 said:

Hmmm prices prices !

£25 mot? Do they fail on everything? Seen one garage in Glasgow other week doing mot for £19.95 the heck is he making?

Anyways MOT i get for £40

Same as Mark for labour but at £40ish

Dont even ask about bodywork - going rate is £100 a panel but they are slow or shit at it and moan like hell!

Valet is £10 to £25 - "brother brother" just does the lot for a small price "for you"

Mines is £25 free retest .... i guess there just in general cheaper up here  its hard or unusual to find anyone charging full price though there is a few i know .   

Edited by Casper

16 hours ago, tradex said:

I had a '79 403ci (6.6 litre) Trans Am T Top in Turquoise and gold decals with all the options and some. Burts was (were!) a '76 with later '77 front ends screwed on as Pontiac hadn't introduced the model year '77 at that point. An exec' at Pontiac told Burt he could have a free T/A if the film did well, obviously as we know now it did and T/A sales went thru the roof. Sadly Burt never got his T/A, the execitive had retired by then. Interesting history behind the film if you get 5 mins.

...I read that one of the original promotional cars - not in the film, that just sat outside cinemas or in shopping malls - sold for over $500,000 a few years back.

They weren't dog slow even if the BHP was low at 220 bhp, they were all torque. 130mph plus top end and 6.5 plus secs 0-60 for the manuals, add another second for the slush box, not too bad even today for a bloody great lump of iron. Mine had the WS6 Handling Pack which meant it was so f**king stiff, if it rode over a coin at 60 mph you'd loose a filling :D. It's a shame Scots123435456788Dave isn't on here too often now as he was into yank tanks back in the day too.

I sold mine for 4K in early 2000's with but a 'for sale' sign in the window, the same afternoon from outside my house to, an undertaker of all people who looked more pale than most corpses I've seen. Last time I saw it for sale it was up for £25k few years back:(

fdbdefe285292265d5211429f3ac1dd8.jpg

I love the look of these old Pontiacs, although prefer the look of a few years earlier. Tbh I’ve always fancied a ‘74 with the ‘new’ front & small back window but I’ve never quite had the balls to delve deeper, tbh I’m just a sad, pathetic ’Nearly Man’ when it comes to yank cars.

I also imagine now they’re all full of welding wire & filler and I’d feel apprehensive driving one of my ‘heroes’ only to find it drove like a heap of shit. I recall about 6/7 years ago, when prices were half-sensible, I tried a 348 & a Mondial T. I’d summarise them as absolute piles of shit that rode & handled like they had concrete tyres, felt like a badly assembled kit car & had the sort of performance a decent hot hatch delivers. I now drive a £100 scrapper taken in p/x.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BHM said:

I love the look of these old Pontiacs, although prefer the look of a few years earlier. Tbh I’ve always fancied a ‘74 with the ‘new’ front & small back window but I’ve never quite had the balls to delve deeper, tbh I’m just a sad, pathetic ’Nearly Man’ when it comes to yank cars.

I also imagine now they’re all full of welding wire & filler and I’d feel apprehensive driving one of my ‘heroes’ only to find it drove like a heap of shit. I recall about 6/7 years ago, when prices were half-sensible, I tried a 348 & a Mondial T. I’d summarise them as absolute piles of shit that rode & handled like they had concrete tyres, felt like a badly assembled kit car & had the sort of performance a decent hot hatch delivers. I now drive a £100 scrapper taken in p/x.

Got to Love a 100 pound px/scrapper 

• Like 1

£30 + vat per wheel for refurb

£29.95 MOT

Labour £35/£40 on mechanicals

Smart man is usually £60-80 per corner or whatever, few buffs or touch ins generally £20-£30

Mini valet £12

Full valet or big 7 seater around £40 if seats terrible

Dent man £25 per car

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SC Derby said:

Dent man £25 per car

Ours is £25 a panel...location, location, location!

(we're gonna really struggle to hit those AT price markers looking at what some of you boys pay for work)

• Like 1

A cheap dentman is often not a good idea, a good dentman will save you money. You want a guy that will take on the big stuff as well as the small, the cheaper guys tend to pick and choose a lot more and you will likely get a lot more cannot does off of a cheap guy. 

Edited by Screenman

On 11/3/2019 at 9:09 AM, MarkTVS said:

Wheel refurb full car (powdercoated) giving them the car £200 inc vat

Diamond cut refurb giving them the car £360 inc vat

On 11/3/2019 at 9:56 AM, Casper said:

wheels £200-£240 

diamond cut wheels from memory think the last set was £385 an associate organised that so cant be more precise  .sorry. 

Our diamond cut wheels cost us the same as Powdercoating (£200), done by 2 different local companies.. 

Obviously we do all of our own mechanical and valeting with the exception of MOT's

• Like 1

Not that I know of, I am the only one I know of that has got a history as a car dealer, which sadly for me makes me sympathetic of the problems you guys have.

What I think is a good idea is when your current dentman says no, then ask another one if the only other alternative is a bodyshop,  I know of many guys who if the dent will take longer than 10 minutes are not interested in it, why should they be as we have plenty out there to go at. Myself I enjoy the challenge and do not need to earn as much as some of the other guys and I certainly do not want all the rushing around any more. Being semi retired is fun, I hope you all get to try it.

• Like 1

Its much better to do in house. We've saved around 78% on prep costs bringing everything in house.

• Like 1

I doubt there is much saving at all when bringing work in-house. Factor wages, consumables, insurances etc etc etc etc. The main advantage is time saved but 78% hmmmmmm, didn't know Harrods did valeting.

10 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

I doubt there is much saving at all when bringing work in-house. Factor wages, consumables, insurances etc etc etc etc. The main advantage is time saved but 78% hmmmmmm, didn't know Harrods did valeting.

You do save a lot of money when prepping in house. I don't know about 78%. Our own workshop was the best thing we did instead of having to pay any external labour costs.  

You are right though the efficiency it leads to is where you really make the money. Cars back and out the door quicker.

• Like 1