A & S

AT Price Indicators

I wonder if the auction houses will adopt AT's pricing indicator as a guide instead of using CAP/Glasses retail?<_<

• Like 1

I am woundering if autotrader are afraid of getting left behind hence why they adopting these kind of price marker that some of the other competion use and are trying to stay relevant.

if they are some dominate why would they do this?

Another gripe is when something is shown as above average mileage, there is nothing to explain to the punter that the price indicator has taken this into account.

In my limited experience, AT has always been king for sales AFAIC but this month I've actually had more response from other sources for the first time ever. 

On 12/15/2019 at 11:14 AM, Lazz said:

I am woundering if autotrader are afraid of getting left behind hence why they adopting these kind of price marker that some of the other competion use and are trying to stay relevant.

if they are some dominate why would they do this?

A girl at AT pretty much said that to me that they were doing it to keep up with their competitors, I did point out that they keep telling us they are number one so why are you copying the more inferior sites. I also mentioned that these other sites charge a lot less than they do and are they going to be reducing their prices as well to keep up with the competition, I think the irony was lost on her.

On 12/15/2019 at 12:04 PM, 15Cars said:

Another gripe is when something is shown as above average mileage, there is nothing to explain to the punter that the price indicator has taken this into account.

In my limited experience, AT has always been king for sales AFAIC but this month I've actually had more response from other sources for the first time ever. 

Luckily I'm a buyer of low mileage so the majority of my cars are well below average mileage, but they seem to have their own system for judging average mileage as I have a 2014 Panda with 34k on the clock which I think is pretty reasonable but AT say it's 5,000 miles above average!! 

I agree with your last statement too, which is why I reduced my Autotrader bill and will just swap my cars around. The number of sales from AT haven't increased to correspond with their price increases over the last couple of years, but I'm getting more from Ebay now and Facebook is starting to increase. 

22 hours ago, J.T said:

Luckily I'm a buyer of low mileage so the majority of my cars are well below average mileage, but they seem to have their own system for judging average mileage as I have a 2014 Panda with 34k on the clock which I think is pretty reasonable but AT say it's 5,000 miles above average!! 

Ditto. I have a 4 year old (65 plate) Peug 208 with 39k. Autotrader are saying its 9000 above average mileage. ???

6 hours ago, Tony F said:

Ditto. I have a 4 year old (65 plate) Peug 208 with 39k. Autotrader are saying its 9000 above average mileage. ???

I don't get it I would say that's below average 10-12 k a year seems about average I would say and even that's low now most we seem to see now are doing around 15 k 

19 minutes ago, Casper said:

I don't get it I would say that's below average 10-12 k a year seems about average I would say and even that's low now most we seem to see now are doing around 15 k 

Autotrader base it soley on the same year/model/variant models as advertised on AT

• Thanks 1

I would say that these small cars often only do a few thousand per year which must pull avaerages right down.

1 hour ago, Mark101 said:

I would say that these small cars often only do a few thousand per year which must pull avaerages right down.

This. 

Your 'low mileage' based on 10/12k a year ain't that low compared to all the 5 year old ones with 7k on the clock some old biddy has been using.   

I always do terrible with really low mileage cars, always find they look expensive. Used to be a good market a while back but I suspect now making cars look good value at a price point is the way to go. Got to keep changing.

34 minutes ago, Rory RSC said:

I always do terrible with really low mileage cars, always find they look expensive. Used to be a good market a while back but I suspect now making cars look good value at a price point is the way to go. Got to keep changing.

I agree, Same here. Just the other day I was trying to buy a couple of 2012 cars, each with around 10k miles. They were so overpriced that I was thinking, I would rather pay a grand+ less and buy with 30-40k miles. Much easier to sell.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tony F said:

I agree, Same here. Just the other day I was trying to buy a couple of 2012 cars, each with around 10k miles. They were so overpriced that I was thinking, I would rather pay a grand+ less and buy with 30-40k miles. Much easier to sell.

Then there is the argument that the 40k miles car is no worst if not better than the 10k one that's been toddled around by the old biddy going to to the shops when my elderly father who doesn't drive now had a car and was doing 2.5 k miles a year it done the car more harm than it did good sitting about .. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rory RSC said:

This. 

Your 'low mileage' based on 10/12k a year ain't that low compared to all the 5 year old ones with 7k on the clock some old biddy has been using.   

I agree unless the mileage is stupidly standout low, like 3,000 miles on a 5 year old car (I sold one like that) but if it is 20k instead of 40k, I completely agree.

1 hour ago, Casper said:

Then there is the argument that the 40k miles car is no worst if not better than the 10k one that's been toddled around by the old biddy going to to the shops when my elderly father who doesn't drive now had a car and was doing 2.5 k miles a year it done the car more harm than it did good sitting about .. 

Again, I agree but we are selling cars and customers just see mileage. Give me a 100k motorway vs. a 50k town car (to own) any day but not to sell.

2 hours ago, Mark101 said:

I agree unless the mileage is stupidly standout low, like 3,000 miles on a 5 year old car (I sold one like that) but if it is 20k instead of 40k, I completely agree.

Again, I agree but we are selling cars and customers just see mileage. Give me a 100k motorway vs. a 50k town car (to own) any day but not to sell.

Your right about that Mark I agree with you there it's the old mileage myth thing isnt it customer thinks it falls apart after 50 k and its game over at over 100k but like you as my personal transport I'd rather have the 100 k mileage motorway cruiser than the 50k town car .. 

Edited by Casper