tradegirl

Appealing Cat B?

1 hour ago, Casper said:

Haha seen it last week 420 i bmw in the middle of a puddle with the lady driver turning it over funny thing is the old diesel vectra px i was driving at the time ploughed through it no probs 

Some places are prone for for flooding. 

And if you're not local to that area you might ruin your motor. Even worse if the driver is inexperienced

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TangoVictor32 said:

Some places are prone for for flooding. 

And if you're not local to that area you might ruin your motor. Even worse if the driver is inexperienced

Yes luckily I'm a regular on that road its on the way home from my work place she must have hit it at speed 

12 hours ago, Del Boy said:

Correct. Cat A and B cannot be put back on the road. 
However the parts from cat b can be re-used 

Thats it exactly 

Edited by Casper

If you've got a breaker licence to buy it a 2018 Bmw with no body damage would be a great breaker

Some cat b's used to make it to the road but after the categories changed so did the chance to get them on the road

One rule I use after many years, don't try to make sense of why a car has a certain category as in some cases it just doesn't make sense

Edited by ModernBagsofRubbish

13 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Don't even look at it... Its a non-starter.

Was that an intentional pun?

14 hours ago, Lakeside said:

Flood damaged cars are nearly always Cat B. It’s due to the fact water seaps in everywhere and may not cause issues until months down the line when corrosion starts in ecu’s etc. It’s not worth the hassle and come backs for insurance companies.

Ok now I understand. We've bought a lot of flood damaged cars were the engine has locked up, but never any other issues.

In this one the engine runs (I don't know how well) and no other lights on the dash. But down the line maybe things start packing up, as you say.

To be clear, I'm not going to buy it. I can't anyway as I don't have the licence.

I was just wondering if going through certain channels could change the category. Clearly not.

TG in the time to focus on this or look into this *** Could ***you have done something more useful towards your own business that you can actually influence directly, make a difference on and make money from?  I suspect yes. Keep it on the right track, particularly with the business separation you can get your momentum going November / December hit 2020 running.

For what its worth salvage stuff takes ages to get sorted most of the time its great as a sideline or project for a painter but as a scaleable business its not quite the right thing. You like the gym / healthy lifestyle iirc and for that to work its important to eat the right stuff little and often - apply some of these principles to business by making profit little and often ( or big) and its lets the odd cheat day ( loss / fuck up etc) gobuy without a blip. Too many cheat days and we know what happens.

Flood Damage above 10 inches above the door line will always be cat B. In my copart days i would never touch a flood damaged car it isn't worth the issues down the line

If its salt water then it only has to be the height of the sills and its for parts only.

8 minutes ago, Rory RSC said:

TG in the time to focus on this or look into this *** Could ***you have done something more useful 

I was thinking exactly the same

8 minutes ago, Rory RSC said:

its important to eat the right stuff little and often

See I'm far from perfect; I eat the wrong stuff, lots and constantly.

6 hours ago, tradegirl said:

Was that an intentional pun?

I’m not clever :lol:

23 minutes ago, tradex said:

I thought the engine did run? 

;)..... 

Cat B’s can’t go back in the road, no point even thinking about it......

2 hours ago, tradex said:

They can Simon and many do after all, this Cat business is only a gentlemans agreement that not all insurance companies sign up to, its messy n grey though and selling this gear will also be, but... 

.....the big question is why would TG wish to get involved in the light of all the previous dramas she has had?

Lights n Moths comes to mind;)

I’m not sure if that is correct.A Cat B bodyshell should be crushed however the parts can be resold. 
https://www.gov.uk/scrapped-and-written-off-vehicles/insurance-writeoffs

I agree, TG shouldn’t even be contemplating getting involved, leave it to the breakers. 

5 hours ago, tradex said:

No 'legal reason' why a Cat B can't go back on road, getting insurance cover is difficult. B)

This comes up quite a few times and Cat Bs do occasionally go thru BCA auctions, being written off and passing tickets years before.

I've personally seen a Maverick and a Golf Git go thru Peterborough and a Lexus and S Class thru Paddock Wood. 

But we do agree, trying retail even regular scrapped gear can be a drama attracting proper grade A twats, so Cat B must be for Olympic Gold medal winners:lol:

PS I've seen an old Clio that had been written off 3 times go thru Peterborough last year:blink:.....with all that new paint it was actually quite tidy:lol:

Remember Mark TVs said the same thing about a Range Rover so it does happen occasionally but I wouldn't get involved 

Edited by Casper

13 hours ago, tradegirl said:

Ok now I understand. We've bought a lot of flood damaged cars were the engine has locked up, but never any other issues.

To be clear, I'm not going to buy it. I can't anyway as I don't have the licence.

General observation, quite frightening really !

1 minute ago, Casper said:

Remember Mark said the same thing about a Range Rover 

As i said on that thread anyone applying for a v5 after oct 2016 for a cat a or b will not get one, any vehicle out there ie, this range rover, the v5 was applied for before 2016 :)

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, have a word with the wife said:

As i said on that thread anyone applying for a v5 after oct 2016 for a cat a or b will not get one, any vehicle out there ie, this range rover, the v5 was applied for before 2016 :)

Aw right thanks for clearing that up .and I do get that  I'll be honest I only scanned through whilst doing other things Although all I really was saying was I'm sure over the years many cat bs have been put back on the road maybe not in recent years but as tradex said they will be many on the road I remember reading an article years ago about them trying hard to stop loop holes etc so guess it working which I guess isn't a bad thing really .. 

Edited by Casper

11 minutes ago, have a word with the wife said:

What exactly do you mean? If I had licence what would be frightening about buying a Cat B car to break? Where exactly is the issue in someone doing exactly what they are licensed to do?

I DIDN'T say if I had a licence, I would buy a Cat B car and try and put it on the road. I DIDN'T say I would buy a Cat B car without a waste licence and fumble my way to try and get it on the road.

I barely even looked at the damn thing. I was just enquiring whether anyone knew if categories could be overturned, since j found it odd that a £20k car with barely a scratch on it, would be written off as a Cat B.

I don't know where you get frightening from that, and what exactly you are implying. 

1 hour ago, tradegirl said:

What exactly do you mean? If I had licence what would be frightening about buying a Cat B car to break? Where exactly is the issue in someone doing exactly what they are licensed to do?

I DIDN'T say if I had a licence, I would buy a Cat B car and try and put it on the road. I DIDN'T say I would buy a Cat B car without a waste licence and fumble my way to try and get it on the road.

I barely even looked at the damn thing. I was just enquiring whether anyone knew if categories could be overturned, since j found it odd that a £20k car with barely a scratch on it, would be written off as a Cat B.

I don't know where you get frightening from that, and what exactly you are implying. 

There is no issue in buying a cat b to break, that's what b means =  "break only"

It has not been inferred that you,  quote = "would buy a Cat B car without a waste licence and fumble my way to try and get it on the road".

the frightening thing is twofold, one, that you find, it odd that a flood damaged flooded pre accident value £20k car with barely a scratch on it, would be written off as a Cat B.

and two, as below =

15 hours ago, tradegirl said:

5 hours ago, have a word with the wife said:

There is no issue in buying a cat b to break, that's what b means =  "break only"

It has not been inferred that you,  quote = "would buy a Cat B car without a waste licence and fumble my way to try and get it on the road".

the frightening thing is twofold, one, that you find, it odd that a flood damaged flooded pre accident value £20k car with barely a scratch on it, would be written off as a Cat B.

and two, as below =

I find it odd when cars that are smashed beyond comprehension and of lesser value are either Cat N or S, and a £20k car with a water damaged engine and a bone dry interior, is a Cat B. It is simply nothing I have come across before.

Is your point 2 is what exactly? That I've bought and repaired cars with a water damaged engine? Are non runners immoral purchases?

• Like 1

Tradegirl you recently make posts about bizarre problems you are having, how terrible your months are, and how you have struggled.

then you go to buy this.  This is a face palm moment. 

Stay well clear

10 hours ago, Grantlfc81 said:

Tradegirl you recently make posts about bizarre problems you are having, how terrible your months are, and how you have struggled.

then you go to buy this.  This is a face palm moment. 

Stay well clear

Grant, I wasn't going to buy it! This was literally just an enquiry, I spent 5 minutes on this, and then the rest of the time I've been explaining that I'm not planning to buy it.

I saw a 20k car, thought "that's odd that it's a Cat B with so little damage. Hmm..I wonder Cat Bs can be overturned?"

Posted in here, and everything thinks I'm spending time on this car, or that I'm stupid enough to buy it, or that I'm calling Aviva or something to look into it. Please people, give me some credit that I'm not a complete and utter moron.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tradegirl said:

Grant, I wasn't going to buy it! This was literally just an enquiry, I spent 5 minutes on this, and then the rest of the time I've been explaining that I'm not planning to buy it.

I saw a 20k car, thought "that's odd that it's a Cat B with so little damage. Hmm..I wonder Cat Bs can be overturned?"

Posted in here, and everything thinks I'm spending time on this car, or that I'm stupid enough to buy it, or that I'm calling Aviva or something to look into it. Please people, give me some credit that I'm not a complete and utter moron.

Knew what you meant , people just jump in with out reading things properly .

2 hours ago, tradegirl said:

I get you you looked at it and the thought just popped into your head i know now it cant be done but i have a good reg on a an old vintage tractor thts been in the family years and one day had a thought i wonder if there is any way to transfers that which i came to conclusion there isn't

your certainly not a complete and utter moron having a thought and asking about it if you don't ask the question you will never get the answer .  

4 hours ago, tradegirl said:

For what its worth, there are a few characters on this forum that are on my complete and utter moron list. You aren't one of them or even close to making it.   

I will say again despite what you know, what you have learned or think you know I would recommend       selling non categorised cars, aiming for an easy life, fast turn around and the ability to build up your profile and reputation. 

• Like 1

I've always thought if you put the odd cat c/d/n whatever it's called now on your site, even one tbh, you risk getting all your stock tarred with a similar brush.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jack Regan said:

Knew what you meant , people just jump in with out reading things properly .

DISCLAIMER..... Please don't attempt to read my post / advert, just cherry pick certain parts of it and then make huge assumptions about me..... :lol: 

You are not a moron TG, you've got balls. 

Edited by Arfur Dealy

Slightly off the original topic but one of our runner cars is a Cat B from 2018.  Citroen C1 Airscape, was lightly shunted in the back but recovered with the soft top left open.  Sod’s law, outside during a weekend of rain, insurers paid out and put on register as Cat B but we bought it back for £450.  

As we are the only keeper and did not pass the V5 we can keep driving it but will never be able to sell it for road use again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Contracts said:

Slightly off the original topic but one of our runner cars is a Cat B from 2018.  Citroen C1 Airscape, was lightly shunted in the back but recovered with the soft top left open.  Sod’s law, outside during a weekend of rain, insurers paid out and put on register as Cat B but we bought it back for £450.  

As we are the only keeper and did not pass the V5 we can keep driving it but will never be able to sell it for road use again.

And there will be many more on the road ... as a previous poster said many from pre 2016 

Edited by Casper

20 hours ago, Contracts said:

Interesting, and your insurance are happy to cover it or do they think you've parted it out? What about VED/MOT?