Kieran

Looking to Become a Motor Trader

40 minutes ago, trade vet said:

He certainly does.£900 for minting an A3,that is where you want to be Kieran

Same guy has a Golf GTI for next week too , wants inside leather  and outside paint work on that one , plus Cam belt and service . Daren't say whats that going to cost him 

Hi Kieran,

I would agree with the guys that say just stick to what you are doing now and enjoy earning a few quid selling the odd car. I don't mean to sound so negative but it's not as easy as everyone thinks it is going full time.

1 minute ago, Arfur Dealy said:

No offence intended at all David / detailers, but I am confused..... why would anyone spend £900 on cleaning a car ? I really can't get my head around "detailing" surely its just an Americanism for a good quality valet ?

Sure is a posh valet Aufur  , but it does entail a very thorough two stage paint cleaning process, three machine polishes using different pads and polishes  and a wax or nano sealant to enhance the gloss and durability of the paint , does look excellent when done properly, not a mar line , hologram , scratch or anything else left in the finish , feels smooth and repels water like nothing on earth  and the reflections are astonishingly clear . 

I have a black XFR and people do look twice at the finish its totally flat without a mark in it and the shine amazing ,  in sun light its reflection shows multiple colours that don't look Black , I did take that car to the 9th degree though even polished the door shut paint work and it was wet flatted before we took to it with the polishers , three of us did that one in 20 hours after it was chemically cleaned , clay bar and tar removed . 

These two jobs have come from the cars parked on the front and the guy asked what made them shine so well . I said £2,000 and it went from there really 

No offence taken either :D pal 

12 minutes ago, David Horgan said:

Same guy has a Golf GTI for next week too , wants inside leather  and outside paint work on that one , plus Cam belt and service . Daren't say whats that going to cost him 

Off topic.We have been to LA several times and occasionally go to a mini retail park in Malibu.My wife goes to the shops and I go and watch the detailers at The Malibu Car Wash off the car park.( check them out ).Its a great business but I don’t think you could replicate it somehow in Tyne and Wear.

21 minutes ago, David Horgan said:

Sure is a posh valet Aufur  , but it does entail a very thorough two stage paint cleaning process, three machine polishes using different pads and polishes  and a wax or nano sealant to enhance the gloss and durability of the paint , does look excellent when done properly, not a mar line , hologram , scratch or anything else left in the finish , feels smooth and repels water like nothing on earth  and the reflections are astonishingly clear . 

I have a black XFR and people do look twice at the finish its totally flat without a mark in it and the shine amazing ,  in sun light its reflection shows multiple colours that don't look Black , I did take that car to the 9th degree though even polished the door shut paint work and it was wet flatted before we took to it with the polishers , three of us did that one in 20 hours after it was chemically cleaned , clay bar and tar removed . 

These two jobs have come from the cars parked on the front and the guy asked what made them shine so well . I said £2,000 and it went from there really 

I started off as a valeter on a 30 car pitch..... I was on £1.25 an hour £50 a week, the owner used to charge £50 for a full valet and I would machine polish when necessary, first compound, the T-Cut, then a polish and a buff as needed. I would wash all the cars twice a week and leather them off every single morning, it was hard work... I suppose its all to a different level now with different polishes... 

Big respect to what you do :)

Edited by Arfur Dealy
  • Like 1

I too started as a valeter which is why I get so frustrated when one does a shit job for me.

Back in the day, we were steam cleaning dash boards and interiors with a pressure washer. Wouldn’t dare now. But why do valeters look confused when asking them to clean a roof lining. 

• Like 1

When I was a kid,I used to wash and leather off the stock every morning before 10.I can still remember my record which was 28 cars in an hour.To do that the wind speed and the temperature had to be right and you needed a good large wash leather !

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

I too started as a valeter which is why I get so frustrated when one does a shit job for me.

Back in the day, we were steam cleaning dash boards and interiors with a pressure washer. Wouldn’t dare now. But why do valeters look confused when asking them to clean a roof lining. 

As you so Mark I did a bit of valeting too it's not as easy as it looks and I respect a valeter who can do the job right .. inc the head lining 

Just now, Casper said:

As you so Mark I did a bit of valeting too it's not as easy as it looks and I respect a valeter who can do the job right .. inc the head lining 

As with any cleaning it simple, start from the top and work down.....

Just now, Arfur Dealy said:

As with any cleaning it simple, start from the top and work down.....

Agree but as Mark said many don't . And actually call themselves professionals 

I would stick to your current business direction & if you want to earn extra money, get training in paintless dent removal this can be good money & fits nicely with your current business

Dent man can earn £200 quid a day

Get known in the trade as a place to go for a solution to a problem & the customers will flood in.

If you do a bit of buying & selling plus detailing you might end up being known as a jack of all trades.

and if you really want to do some cars, keep it as a now & then thing so you still get some fun out of it 

Thanks

Charlie

• Like 1

14 hours ago, trade vet said:

Off topic.We have been to LA several times and occasionally go to a mini retail park in Malibu.My wife goes to the shops and I go and watch the detailers at The Malibu Car Wash off the car park.( check them out ).Its a great business but I don’t think you could replicate it somehow in Tyne and Wear.

Need a few customers who are well into their cars to make it pay , LA is a detailing Capital ,the UK doesn't even see the difference just a duh that's shiny :lol: , its not just Tyne and Wear , I certainly wouldn't like to try earning a living detailing cars in the UK , But I do like doing it and seeing the paint change . 

25 minutes ago, David Horgan said:

Need a few customers who are well into their cars to make it pay , LA is a detailing Capital ,the UK doesn't even see the difference just a duh that's shiny :lol: , its not just Tyne and Wear , I certainly wouldn't like to try earning a living detailing cars in the UK , But I do like doing it and seeing the paint change . 

I gave my valet the Nissan Leaf to do; By far the grubbiest, most poorly cosmetically maintained car I have ever had in stock (all that saving the planet must mean they avoid soap).

He has made the inside look almost new and the paintwork (despite one stubborn touched in scratch) is unrecognisable.

2 Days more or less but worth it.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

I gave my valet the Nissan Leaf to do; By far the grubbiest, most poorly cosmetically maintained car I have ever had in stock (all that saving the planet must mean they avoid soap).

He has made the inside look almost new and the paintwork (despite one stubborn touched in scratch) is unrecognisable.

That's it mark isn't it a proper valet takes time not just a quick rush over .. like some do 

2 hours ago, Mark101 said:

Difference from someone who knows their job and the many who haven't a clue , turned the car into a sale car and added lots of value to your mark up we hope :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BHM said:

Who the fuck pays £900 to clean a car?

His name is Ian and he is not only having his 66 plate  A3 Quattro done but his wifes 14 plate Golf as well . So its £900 twice :ph34r: 

8 hours ago, David Horgan said:

I like instant results............. silicone spray....... :ph34r:

On 10/24/2019 at 11:49 AM, justlooking said:

Hi Kieran,

Great opening post, quite refreshing considering some of the recent one post wonders that have sought advice and disappered in to the night.

This. And for that reason, for what it's worth I'll be offering some advice when I have more time.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sparky said:

This. And for that reason, for what it's worth I'll be offering some advice when I have more time.

1 hour ago, David Horgan said:

His name is Ian and he is not only having his 66 plate  A3 Quattro done but his wifes 14 plate Golf as well . So its £900 twice :ph34r: 

And there’s the answer. Didn’t even need to ask, a VAG car owner - quelle surprise :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Arfur Dealy said:

I like instant results............. silicone spray....... :ph34r:

And satin black for the carpets.......

On 10/24/2019 at 6:51 PM, David Horgan said:

One day when I actually own a car of my own, I will bring it to you to do all that to it. You sound so passionate, and the "no hologram" got me. I hate holograms with a passion.

People who truly love what they do and are good at it, gets my rocks off lol

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, sparky said:

It's nice to see someone introduce themself properly isn't it ... my advice would be check everything over make sure its mechanically sound put a 12 month mot on everything don't sell anything you wouldn't drive yourself of put your family in and there no such thing as over prep .... and always do a proper pdi 

1 hour ago, tradegirl said:

One day when I actually own a car of my own, I will bring it to you to do all that to it. You sound so passionate, and the "no hologram" got me. I hate holograms with a passion.

People who truly love what they do and are good at it, gets my rocks off lol

one for you trade girl lol :lol:

Edited by Casper