metcars

Diagnostics machine purchase

After a recent incident where my handy daily scanner was stolen im on the hunt for a replacement. I need something small enough to travel with me on my collection capers but be useful. I landed on an autel maxisys mp808. My problem is, where to buy one thats not a clone. Even the autel website itself looks sketchy?

I know it sounds sketchy but I’d use eBay. Choose a vendor who’s sold a load of them with good feedback and pay with Paypal and you get protection if anything goes wrong.

As a cheaper alternative have you looked at putting WOW on a tablet?

21 minutes ago, Mojo121 said:

I know it sounds sketchy but I’d use eBay. Choose a vendor who’s sold a load of them with good feedback and pay with Paypal and you get protection if anything goes wrong.

As a cheaper alternative have you looked at putting WOW on a tablet?

I've heard about wow, is there a link. What worries me about ebay is when you ask if its a genuine machine with uk warranty card they ignore you x

A real autel with a uk warranty is over the double the price of eBay though mine was well over a grand.

1 hour ago, metcars said:

I've heard about wow, is there a link. What worries me about ebay is when you ask if its a genuine machine with uk warranty card they ignore you x

I put a link below. I found out by watching demos of it on YouTube. A mechanic I use has it and he uses it more than his £3000 Snap on. Was a bit sceptical when I first saw the demos, then the price but after seeing him use it I’m going to get one.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F192949318786

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MarkTVS said:

A real autel with a uk warranty is over the double the price of eBay though mine was well over a grand.

where did you buy it from? 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, tradex said:

I've always got a mini Autel stuck to the back of one of my trade plates using Velcro, should of done it years ago. B)

I like the autel machines. Powerful enough to be useful and as a 7" tablet small enough to carry on collection capers. The WOW thing reminds me of my old Delphi which was not easily portable with a laptop etc

1 hour ago, metcars said:

where did you buy it from? 

Dingbro who are our local parts suppliers 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, metcars said:

After a recent incident where my handy daily scanner was stolen im on the hunt for a replacement. I need something small enough to travel with me on my collection capers but be useful. I landed on an autel maxisys mp808. My problem is, where to buy one thats not a clone. Even the autel website itself looks sketchy?

I'm currently in the market for something like this. How would I know if it's a clone?

17 minutes ago, 15Cars said:

I'm currently in the market for something like this. How would I know if it's a clone?

Research? 

5 minutes ago, metcars said:

Research? 

I'm not great at research, fella, clearly you're not either - otherwise you wouldn't have posted, right?

11 hours ago, metcars said:

I was in your situation last month, actually looking for one to check the VIN numbers and hidden faults. 
Looked for autel mp808 and then spoke with my mechanic and he suggested me to get WOW Wurth.

I just went on ebay, bought the SNOOPER adaptor for 35 pounds ( comes with WOW WURTH V5 0.0.08R2 CD and then I went on google and downloaded WOW WURTH V5 0.0.12 and installed it on my laptop. 

The process is very simple, just install the program and then use the generator to give you the credentials. (you find tutorials on youtube).

It's a great free tool, better then 7k SNAP-ON.

Good luck. 

PS: You also can find the Delphi 2016 and Autocom 2016 but WOW Wurth is a better one

2 hours ago, Marian TDM said:

I was in your situation last month, actually looking for one to check the VIN numbers and hidden faults. 
Looked for autel mp808 and then spoke with my mechanic and he suggested me to get WOW Wurth.

I just went on ebay, bought the SNOOPER adaptor for 35 pounds ( comes with WOW WURTH V5 0.0.08R2 CD and then I went on google and downloaded WOW WURTH V5 0.0.12 and installed it on my laptop. 

The process is very simple, just install the program and then use the generator to give you the credentials. (you find tutorials on youtube).

It's a great free tool, better then 7k SNAP-ON.

Good luck. 

PS: You also can find the Delphi 2016 and Autocom 2016 but WOW Wurth is a better one

Ive got a delphi kicking around somewhere already. The problem is having to use laptop defeats the object of a convenient scanner to carry in the train etc. fine if you only use it at home, but thats not what i need it for. Do you know what a collection caper is?

2 hours ago, 15Cars said:

I'm not great at research, fella, clearly you're not either - otherwise you wouldn't have posted, right?

You're probably right. 

Edited by metcars

1 hour ago, tradex said:

The process is very simple, just install the program and then use the generator to give you the credentials.

WTF does that mean? :blink:

I’ll stick with my £30 obd interrogator I bought about 10 years ago on fleabay as a ‘get you home’ code clearer. 

• Like 1

I've a sealey one paid about £80 for it seven years ago maybe it's payed for itself 10 times over been a great little machine it's a bit battered and bruised now but still works if you have the knack .. 

For a car dealer I cannot recommend my Snap On Ethos highly enough. Bought in 2013, updated through 2015 and has served me superbly for the £900 odd that I spent. Probably still worth £3-400. 

I also have a new Launch with a bluetooth connector and the old Snap On is still faster and some functions are much easier.

Obviously that's no good to anyone that also does repairs or coding.  

I can plug my Autel handheld Pro code reader in and read codes but stuff like live data etc are wasted on me.

• Like 1

It's interesting reading everyone's thoughts. I am specifically after a reasonable 'all makes all systems' portable machine to carry on the road, not a machine for use at home. My old 'cheapie' obd scanner got knicked, and as handy as it was, there's room for an upgrade?

I bought a Launch CRP429c and it's been everything that I need so far. Touch screen and resets 11 systems if needed.