Grantlfc81

Auctions are empty....

1 hour ago, CCC said:

Those of us old enough to remember the recessions of the 80's and 90's will know why.

We've not had a "real" recession for 30 yrs or so, where we see large scale unemployment and significant drops in housing values.

The idea of being unemployed for 2-3 yrs can be enough to scare you into not trading up your car, especially if you've just paid off the last one and are looking at making a fresh £200-£400 per month commitment on the new one.

We bought our first house in the early 90's and viewed lots of repos (our place was a part exchange property probably sold at 25% off what the last owner had paid for it). If we see the same again, people will be losing 10's or 100's of Thousands. Not a few.

Markets work on confidence, and Brexit is ripping that out of the economy fast, and no-deal would accelerate it.

On the upside, a few property bargains will come about, classic 911's might go down to sensible money and zombie businesses (as Thomas Cook were technically) will leave the market reducing competition and increasing margins.

Fingers crossed on the 911s!

This is a great post. I think if politicians understood what you do more clearly then they would be more careful about what they say and focus more on being positive!

The Consumer marketplace runs on confidence. Take it away or reduce it and there will be a drop. Brexit isnt helping. the last financial issue 10 years ago hasnt been properly sorted out yet, however most on here have done well in that time. Dont panic (yet). I think its DH who says if its quiet, look at what you're doing first. Because you are the only one who can change it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, MattR said:

The Consumer marketplace runs on confidence. Take it away or reduce it and there will be a drop. Brexit isnt helping. the last financial issue 10 years ago hasnt been properly sorted out yet, however most on here have done well in that time. Dont panic (yet). I think its DH who says if its quiet, look at what you're doing first. Because you are the only one who can change it. 

This is why I like hearing about traders who are doing well (not the liars). Because if others are doing well, it means it's still in our hands.

That aside though, I wish I had a plan B, because I'm honestly quite scared. If a recession hits now, my life won't get off the ground before I'm 40.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, tradegirl said:

This is why I like hearing about traders who are doing well (not the liars). Because if others are doing well, it means it's still in our hands.

That aside though, I wish I had a plan B, because I'm honestly quite scared. If a recession hits now, my life won't get off the ground before I'm 40.

TG, Honestly, whats the worst that can happen? I dont know you're personal circumstances, But there's plenty of people out there who've gone bust and picked themselves up and gone again. Not yet 40? plenty of time for it to go right, go wrong, go right again. Recessions happen every decade or so. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, tradegirl said:

Keep you chin up Get a plan b have a back up plan would be my advice TG take one day at time if bills are being paid etc don't worry yes a lot of people will  be and are honestly busy and. Others quiet as Ive mentioned before there doesn't seem .to be a happy medium its either busy or we think its quiet when in reality its ticking over There is a guy near us thinks himself bit of a sort of jack the lad billy big boy par time car dealer who is always selling a 10 a week we use the same mot tester and he was telling me said guy was in scarily worried about how quiet he his .

all the best and good luck .. 

Edited by Casper

18 minutes ago, tradegirl said:

Time to make a plan B TG if your that worried. If you honestly say you have done all you can with your adverts and there all being presented perfectly. What else can we do to earn some money in the meantime.

We are quiet at the moment aswell but we also have a bunch of crap stock i want to move. But there is no point in me selling it cheap to buy more when i cant buy anything.

• Like 1

There is a news report on yahoo news saying that the effects of a no deal Brexit will affect new car sales all over Europe ..   so if this is the case it would I guess affect the used market in some way .. as if new cars are not sold there is no pxs for auctions etc

even in my neighbourhood  ive noticed people keeping cars for 5 or 6 years now were before the same people were faithfully changing them at 2.5 to 3 years  

14 hours ago, Frankieola said:

My local Vauxhall dealer has done a grand total of 11 new cars this month!! 

They're having it away. Our local Peugeot dealer had 3 on the board halfway through the month.

19 hours ago, Stephen said:

Cazoo have done deal with bca. So can see them getting the pick of cars before they go to auction 

Ca who?

10 minutes ago, Casper said:

https://www.cazoo.co.uk/

this Nacman 

I don't get it though how can they get first dibs when finance company's and p/x vehicles are going in to try and get the highest bid?

19 hours ago, Stephen said:

Cazoo have done deal with bca. So can see them getting the pick of cars before they go to auction 

Not possible, people putting there cars in want the highest bid from an auction?

"The UK-based startup’s mission is to make buying a used car no different to buying any other product online – allowing consumers to select from thousands of cars online and have them delivered to their door in as little as 48 hours."

Hahaha distance selling, what could possibly go wrong? 

Free car hire for 2 weeks anyone? :lol:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NacMan said:

I don't get it though how can they get first dibs when finance company's and p/x vehicles are going in to try and get the highest bid?

Not possible, people putting there cars in want the highest bid from an auction?

Yeah that’s them they have 60 mil to start up and ran by bloke who started Zoopla before selling amongst other businesses. Already have vans being made to deliver vehicles covered and apparently they could have fun raised ten times this amount, with ease. Also offering 7 day return free if you don’t like car 

Surely if a new car gets returned even after 7 days that would add an owner / devalue it hugely 

6 minutes ago, SC Derby said:

Surely if a new car gets returned even after 7 days that would add an owner / devalue it hugely 

I had this debate that adding an owner depreciates the value some of the guys didn't agree some did:unsure:

2 minutes ago, NacMan said:

I had this debate that adding an owner depreciates the value some of the guys didn't agree some did:unsure:

Of course it does and massively so on brand new

23 minutes ago, SC Derby said:

14 minutes ago, SC Derby said:

Of course it does and massively so on brand new

16 minutes ago, NacMan said:

It depends on the cars as sc derby said would devalue a brand new car  as after 7 days and a owner its then effectively a used car but on a 6 year old ford- vauxhall car etc wouldn't so much .especially not so as its a run of the mill car but i would think it would  maybe have an effect on a prestige low mileage 1 owner example

Edited by Casper

2 hours ago, Stephen said:

Yeah that’s them they have 60 mil to start up and ran by bloke who started Zoopla before selling amongst other businesses. Already have vans being made to deliver vehicles covered and apparently they could have fun raised ten times this amount, with ease. Also offering 7 day return free if you don’t like car 

Working with a startup at present and with a brother who works in corporate finance I’ve learnt there are a lot of rich investors out there with money to chuck at unproven ideas. Track history of success is the best way to access these people so his record at Zoopla will be a key part. Someone elsewhere reminded me this was a similar business model to CarLand about a decade ago. Though times have changed.

TradeGirl, have you considered getting another job alongside? When I started my last business I ran it on its own for the first year, then got a 3 day per week job for the next 3 years. Did many a 70 hour week over that period but kept the wolf from the door and enabled me to reinvest business profits into growth when the business needed it. 

On 9/23/2019 at 8:44 PM, SC Derby said:

You can infact reverse a new car registration. I’m not sure how long you get though.

12 minutes ago, Grantlfc81 said:

You can infact reverse a new car registration. I’m not sure how long you get though.

I do get what you say it's the first I've heard of it though but I don't doubt you at all under certain circumstances  like say maybe the car has never been used but registered etc 

but surely these cars would be registered taxed v5 in someone's name and done an average of 300 -500 miles in a week in some cases 

In saying  that buying in bulk say maybe 25 ford focus will get the list price down a good bit 

I know it works with lease company's I remember speaking to the previous owner of an ex.lease car we bought and what he paid over the time he had it and the purchase price was over 5k short of dealer list price and 3k short of car wows price I thought to me self maybe up in price but the previous owner said he had looked at buying and they were much the same at Time of registration 

On 9/23/2019 at 6:43 PM, J.T said:

"The UK-based startup’s mission is to make buying a used car no different to buying any other product online – allowing consumers to select from thousands of cars online and have them delivered to their door in as little as 48 hours."

Free car hire for 2 weeks anyone? :lol:

LOL

18 hours ago, Casper said:

I do get what you say it's the first I've heard of it though but I don't doubt you at all under certain circumstances  like say maybe the car has never been used but registered etc 

but surely these cars would be registered taxed v5 in someone's name and done an average of 300 -500 miles in a week in some cases 

In saying  that buying in bulk say maybe 25 ford focus will get the list price down a good bit 

I know it works with lease company's I remember speaking to the previous owner of an ex.lease car we bought and what he paid over the time he had it and the purchase price was over 5k short of dealer list price and 3k short of car wows price I thought to me self maybe up in price but the previous owner said he had looked at buying and they were much the same at Time of registration 

It doesn’t work like that with ford. 

Ford dealers need to achieve so many new registered cars to achieve a bonus from ford.  This is why fords will pre register bundles of ford Ka’s and then sell them for £5995 (cost) to hit there new reg bonus.

Well it was like this when I was there.  

Regarding mileage and retraction of a registered keeper, I remember fords did it after a customer had it for 400 miles however ive known cars to have 400 miles as pre delivery miles.

I doubt you would get away with much more than that anyway.

Went to Aston Barclay again today and the prices were absolutely off the scale.

a 53 plate golf gti which capped at £850 went for £2900.  Eye watering.

Virtually anything decent achieving £500-£800 above book and the lower end stuff In Terrible condition.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Grantlfc81 said:

It doesn’t work like that with ford. 

Ford dealers need to achieve so many new registered cars to achieve a bonus from ford.  This is why fords will pre register bundles of ford Ka’s and then sell them for £5995 (cost) to hit there new reg bonus.

Well it was like this when I was there.  

Regarding mileage and retraction of a registered keeper, I remember fords did it after a customer had it for 400 miles however ive known cars to have 400 miles as pre delivery miles.

I doubt you would get away with much more than that anyway.

Went to Aston Barclay again today and the prices were absolutely off the scale.

a 53 plate golf gti which capped at £850 went for £2900.  Eye watering.

Virtually anything decent achieving £500-£800 above book and the lower end stuff In Terrible condition.

Thanks Grant very interesting info . Every day is a school day you learn something new every day as my old boy says 

Ive also know cars/ vans being bought in bulk though remember a previous employer buying a number of transits and Astra vans and got them below retail price though with various new car buying sites this is probably more achievable nowadays anyway ive a neighbour bought a new Mercedes and was saying he saved a lot through a company called drive the deal .. 

and yes anything decent makes silly money . 

Edited by Casper

On 9/23/2019 at 6:43 PM, J.T said:

There is going to be some serious money lost selling used cars this way isn't there , they have zero idea about what will be involved in prep , servicing , cleaning standards , MOT advisories , then as you point out , distance selling , soon as people get into the fact they can send it back its a free car isn't it , enough time for a holiday trip , park it at the airport and send it back .