NacMan

When do you expect it to pick up?

1 minute ago, tradegirl said:

@Mark101 do you re-MOT after 3 months?

Yes, pretty much. I certainly don't sell anything unless "we" have MOT'd it. I am happy to let a car go with 10.5 months+ providing "we" MOT'd it.

9 Months MOT is a bit shitty on a £10-25K car though.

22 hours ago, JA Trader said:

Out of interest how many cars do you both stock to be turning around these numbers ?

Only have room for 30 advertised on AT and 25 on car guru .

We stock 20 /30 on sale , and 5 always being prepped to replace , we do sell cars that don't get to the advert stage too, like  this week so far we have sold 5 to previous customers and two walk ins , those cars never hit the online airwaves  

Its a continuous circle 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mark101 said:

Yes, pretty much. I certainly don't sell anything unless "we" have MOT'd it. I am happy to let a car go with 10.5 months+ providing "we" MOT'd it.

Yeah we always do a new MOT on cars regardless of how long they have left.

And yeah I imagine on that price bracket, 12 months is a must

5 minutes ago, tradegirl said:

Been very quiet on here lately TG business booming i hope ?

22 minutes ago, tradegirl said:

It's good practice I do it own my cars by a local garage put 12 months on everything 

3 hours ago, Mark101 said:

My friends who owns two dealerships and mot station a few hours away from me which is why I use the local one  does this I bought a Land Rover with 11 months test by a garage local to the previous owner for him one day he couldn't make the auction and put a full 12 months on it regardless as part of his pdi 

Forget all the "up your game" online coach stuff going on here the fact remains: it is quiet at the moment.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mojo121 said:

Forget all the "up your game" online coach stuff going on here the fact remains: it is quiet at the moment.

I don't think it just the motortrade either . Ticking away but not run out out the door .

From what you hear down the pub or around town . I know a joiner drinks in or local on a Friday a good one got all his work word of mouth no facebook internet website or anything for over 10 years was booked for months in advance a fortnight ago was the first time he had to advertise his business in the paper looking for work .

Edited by Casper

24 minutes ago, Mojo121 said:

Everyone I speak to....

MOT station = immediate availability

Wheel Centre = 50% of usual input

Mrs (Main Dealer) = bored (and she never gets time to be bored)

Bodyshop employing 20 Full Timers = 12 repairs month to date

Me = Phone has only rang once today on a car (cheap PX shitter)

Am I worried? Not really, been looking to buy some shares and take advantage of a downturn.

It will come back.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mark101 said:

I wish i could get into my Mot station he is booking nearly a week in advance now. Luckily i have the first two spaces with him every Saturday but i asked for more this week and he laughed at me

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

Everyone I speak to....

Wheel Centre = 50% of usual input

Mrs (Main Dealer) = bored (and she never gets time to be bored)

Bodyshop employing 20 Full Timers = 12 repairs month to date

Me = Phone has only rang once today on a car (cheap PX shitter)

Am I worried? Not really, been looking to buy some shares and take advantage of a downturn.

It will come back.

I agree Mark as long as your ticking over .. 

7 minutes ago, Grantlfc81 said:

We are incredibly busy..... we are in central essex

I guess It's like I said in an earlier post grant it swings and roundabounds some will be quiet and some will be busy like yourself 

Always good to hear the people n here doing well all the best hope it continues .. 

7 minutes ago, JA Trader said:

I wish i could get into my Mot station he is booking nearly a week in advance now. Luckily i have the first two spaces with him every Saturday but i asked for more this week and he laughed at me

There's an mot station like that here problem is there is only one mot tester and mechanic really it has the capacity for two he's one of the better mechanics I know the old guy that owns it had a few strokes and other health problems nice old fellow the garage is attached to a petrol station shop I've never understood why in his mid 70s he doesn't slow down a bit lease out the workshop mot station and keep the petrol station shop for a bit of income .for him and his wife 

Edited by Casper

Mark101, just speaking from experience. 

2 tins of beans on a shelf one dented and one not, which one are you going to buy, most would buy the undented one even if there was a price difference. Of course there is an exception to that rule, but I would rather appeal to the majority than the minority.

Nice cars sell to nice people.

2 minutes ago, Screenman said:

Mark101, just speaking from experience. 

2 tins of beans on a shelf one dented and one not, which one are you going to buy, most would buy the undented one even if there was a price difference. Of course there is an exception to that rule, but I would rather appeal to the majority than the minority.

Nice cars sell to nice people.

You're right of course.

10 minutes ago, Casper said:

There's an mot station like that here problem is there only one mot tester and mechanic as the old guy that owns it had a few strokes etc Its to attached to a petrol station shop I've never understood why in his mid 70s he doesn't slow down a bit lease out the workshop mot station and keep the petrol station shop for a bit of income .. 

Similar to my place Son has taken over from dad and has one mechanic who can also test when its busy. Dad still walks around kicking the odd tyre.

29 minutes ago, Mojo121 said:

This made me chuckle.  :lol:  

I don't see the huge difference in this period (Aug-Sep) from the last many years I've been doing this.  It's the period we're in.  

I mentioned before some may do extremely well as it will be the right car, the right price at the right time for the right buyer.  We all have moments like that, it's a tremendous feeling.

The only thing I've noticed that is different, is the amount of good quality stock available at the moment.  That i turn has driven the prices up tremendously as we've all seen and the fact that there are some new "BIG" players in the used car market so they are no longer entering stock through the AH and are in turn reselling their own P/ex's as well as buying stock from the AH themselves. 

It will all settle down and it will all pick up, there is no need for a major panick or conspiracy theory about Brexit and the likes, it's just the way business goes.  Take the Highs with the Lows.

Of course in your spare time review prices, review pictures, review articles, adverts, etc...  In my eyes, "Those that run a business and have spare time are not running a business correctly".

Just my 2 cents

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Earunder said:

I don't see the huge difference in this period (Aug-Sep) from the last many years I've been doing this.  It's the period we're in.  

I mentioned before some may do extremely well as it will be the right car, the right price at the right time for the right buyer.  We all have moments like that, it's a tremendous feeling.

The only thing I've noticed that is different, is the amount of good quality stock available at the moment.  That i turn has driven the prices up tremendously as we've all seen and the fact that there are some new "BIG" players in the used car market so they are no longer entering stock through the AH and are in turn reselling their own P/ex's as well as buying stock from the AH themselves. 

It will all settle down and it will all pick up, there is no need for a major panick or conspiracy theory about Brexit and the likes, it's just the way business goes.  Take the Highs with the Lows.

Of course in your spare time review prices, review pictures, review articles, adverts, etc...  In my eyes, "Those that run a business and have spare time are not running a business correctly".

Just my 2 cents

Completely agree......

I'd give you a like if i could... :lol:

Edited by Ocsltd

20 minutes ago, Earunder said:

Just my 2 cents

A lot of valid points there And I agree though a lot of the guys I've worked for over the years now have managers running the business whilst they get rewards from it holidays to Spain etc 6 times a year or still have there car sales but went in a different direction and set up other companies doing different stuff like renting houses out etc don't get me wrong they do deserve it having being fully hands on for years . Still hands on but being rewarded for there hard work how 

Another thing to bear in mind is some people will now be saving for Christmas at this time of year and making there old car do them with those on monthly pay only got 3 or 4 wages left . 

I've seen a mad rush in late January earlier February before 

12 minutes ago, Casper said:

A lot of valid points there And I agree though a lot of the guys I've worked for over the years now have managers running the business whilst they get rewards from it holidays to Spain etc 6 times a year or still have there car sales but went in a different direction and set up other companies doing different stuff like renting houses out etc don't get me wrong they do deserve it having being fully hands on for years . Still hands on but being rewarded for there hard work how 

Another thing to bear in mind is some people will now be saving for Christmas at this time of year and making there old car do them with those on monthly pay only got 3 or 4 wages left . 

Hopefully your right! however Brexit does kick in very soon so it might just go tits up.

43 minutes ago, Ocsltd said:

Completely agree......

I'd give you a like if i could... :lol:

Haha B)

18 minutes ago, Casper said:

Yup, but just as a heads up take advantage of promotions such as Buy Now - Start Paying in 6 months, should help you squeeze an extra few over the line each month running upto Dec :D

29 minutes ago, Earunder said:

Haha B)

Yup, but just as a heads up take advantage of promotions such as Buy Now - Start Paying in 6 months, should help you squeeze an extra few over the line each month running upto Dec :D

:) 

Checked last year's performance earlier and September picks up this weekend coming. Polish your turds fellas, it's going to be a flyer.

42 minutes ago, Mojo121 said:

Checked last year's performance earlier and September picks up this weekend coming. Polish your turds fellas, it's going to be a flyer.

:D You may have just cheered me up haha. Hopefully your right!

How much are we talking of a pickup? and how did they align for the past few weeks?

I must be doing something right then as customers are literally throwing money at me, I offered this guy £100 for his part exchange yesterday and he said would I tax the Fiesta he was buying for 6 months instead. So I said yes, and it turned out the tax was only £79.75. So now I'm £20.25 up on the deal! :D

20 hours ago, JA Trader said:

Been very quiet on here lately TG business booming i hope ?

Hardly. Dead as a dodo.

Only 8 advertised, so I can't really judge the market with my stock numbers. Although not all are on AutoTrader.

It's really quiet barely any phone calls, but then we sold 3 cars Weds-Weds £5k-£7k.

Granted, 1 was our mechanic's car, but I still count it as a sale.

Feels like I'm sitting around a lot, and just dropped the price on 2 cars, even though the one is already priced low and is mint.