NacMan

When do you expect it to pick up?

When do you expect it to pick up and sales start running smoothly? September has been absolutely shite. 

if we are quiet its our fault, We chose the stock paid what we paid and did the  pics and put the add up online, Its our fault for thinking we are master of our own destiny when clearly we are not.

Suck it up and stop moaning, There are others out there who are having record months, 

• Like 2

Done three today , two lined up for

13 minutes ago, NacMan said:

When do you expect it to pick up and sales start running smoothly? September has been absolutely shite. 

Done three today all left the building , one gone out from yesterday and two lined up to view tomorrow with deposits . 

Turned an offer down on a little Auto  with only 4,000 miles on clock , £6k on screen and the lunatic rings me four times today then offers £5k :o You have my number he says  so think about it , " thought about pal NO :D" cheek of them ," oh and I don't ring back so don't sit near the phone waiting for a call " 

If your not busy Nacman its your fault , nothing to do with the economy , brexit , or any other lame excuse , Rule number one of business Nacman is blame yourself 

• Like 1

I think we all have or ups and downs As some say there having record months others say there quiet some say neither busy or quiet I guess its swings and rounds about . Some one may want a car you have and you could sell it ten times over and others at an another time may have cars like that 

At times everyone you speak to is not massively busy with sales other times they can't get the stock for love nor money and everyone is fighting over bca and mainheim grade 3s 

My advice hang on in there nacman it's tough at the top ... as a good friend and mechanic used to say to me who I worked under at the time he was workshop manager  but is sadly no longer with us and had his life cut short by cancer 

He would say to me every morning it's tough at top kid .. 

to which my reply was always 

it's worst at the bottom 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Casper said:

I think we all have or ups and downs As some say there having record months others say there quiet some say neither busy or quiet I guess its swings and rounds about . Some one may want a car you have and you could sell it ten times over and others at an another time may have cars like that 

At times everyone you speak to is not massively busy with sales other times they can't get the stock for love nor money and everyone is fighting over bca and mainheim grade 3s 

My advice hang on in there nacman it's tough at the top ... as a good friend and mechanic used to say to me who I worked under at the time he was workshop manager  but is sadly no longer with us and had his life cut short by cancer 

He would say to me every morning it's tough at top kid .. 

to which my reply was always 

it's worst at the bottom 

It indeed is tough at the top will have to change some things on the adverts I suppose :) 

1 hour ago, sellect2 said:

As soon as Brexit is done.....

Never then :) :lol:

50 minutes ago, David Horgan said:

Done three today all left the building , one gone out from yesterday and two lined up to view tomorrow with deposits . 

Turned an offer down on a little Auto  with only 4,000 miles on clock , £6k on screen and the lunatic rings me four times today then offers £5k :o You have my number he says  so think about it , " thought about pal NO :D" cheek of them ," oh and I don't ring back so don't sit near the phone waiting for a call " 

If your not busy Nacman its your fault , nothing to do with the economy , brexit , or any other lame excuse , Rule number one of business Nacman is blame yourself 

Suppose ill change some pictures, description etcs 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, David Horgan said:

That makes me giggle too David, they walk in, insult you, then offer their number for you to ring them. I always take their number and say I'll give you a call if I change my mind, they obviously don't realise that piece of paper is hitting the bottom of my bin before they are more than 5 yards from my office door. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, J.T said:

That makes me giggle too David, they walk in, insult you, then offer their number for you to ring them. I always take their number and say I'll give you a call if I change my mind, they obviously don't realise that piece of paper is hitting the bottom of my bin before they are more than 5 yards from my office door. 

I never offer them a glimmer of hope if the bid in stupid enough then i spell it out no point me taking your number as it will never happen. 

Otherwise they go away living in hope, often when i say thanks but no thanks they sit in the car mull it over and come back in sensible mode.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NacMan said:

Suppose ill change some pictures, description etcs 

That's the spirit pal , your starting the journey of blaming your self by making Changes .

But there's NO suppose , take it from me and lots of others on here , its not easy but we made changes along the way , no sitting on your bum waiting for the phone to annoy you . make that phone ring , the power is your fingers ;)

3 hours ago, NacMan said:

The job can be fickle but there is ALWAYS business getting done!

I had a terrible last 2 weeks in August(3 cars as opposed to 8 to 10 in the 2 weeks), took that time to video everything, rephoto and write better descriptions.

I am on 15 for September with the same stock

There is no logic to our sales, normal stuff is dead but high end 4x4 have been good, 2 BMW X5 sold to Ireland over the weekend plus deposits on 2 RR Sports plus 3 other 4x4 done last week.

Could also sell at least 5 more PHEV RRS’s if we could get them for June’s money but at BCA now going for more than we were retailing them for.

17 hours ago, David Horgan said:

Your never mega quiet David. Same like us.

22 cars for September so far  - Trades dead, jobs on its arse. 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Rory RSC said:

Your never mega quiet David. Same like us.

22 cars for September so far  - Trades dead, jobs on its arse. 

15 hours ago, David Horgan said:

That's the spirit pal , your starting the journey of blaming your self by making Changes .

But there's NO suppose , take it from me and lots of others on here , its not easy but we made changes along the way , no sitting on your bum waiting for the phone to annoy you . make that phone ring , the power is your fingers ;)

Out of interest how many cars do you both stock to be turning around these numbers ?

14 minutes ago, JA Trader said:

Out of interest how many cars do you both stock to be turning around these numbers ?

We have 45/50 max probably been hovering around 40ish for sale the past couple of months at any given time.

11 minutes ago, Rory RSC said:

We have 45/50 max probably been hovering around 40ish for sale the past couple of months at any given time.

Good to see that the big sites are moving there cars with the correct advertising. I take it based on your average sales you look to move around 30 cars a month ?

Just now, JA Trader said:

Good to see that the big sites are moving there cars with the correct advertising. I take it based on your average sales you look to move around 30 cars a month ?

No - 40+ Minimum.

Very efficient in terms of prep and having cars ready to go. Few obstacles in front of buyers. Desirable stock. Work fucking hard. I certainly spend more time in the business than anyone else I know. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Rory RSC said:

No - 40+ Minimum.

Very efficient in terms of prep and having cars ready to go. Few obstacles in front of buyers. Desirable stock. Work fucking hard. I certainly spend more time in the business than anyone else I know. 

Sorry to go off topic on this one but thats very good numbers and a hell of an aim for me basically restocking yourself every month. Do you work alone or have a staff as well ? If your buy yourself i can see why you put so many hours in. Sorry for prying just trying to educate myself a little

I'm not much of a football fan anymore, but there's a big disparity between the teams at the top and the teams at the bottom.  Some over perform for the size of the club and budget and some under perform (I had to suffer watching The Bournemouth Everton game on telly with a mate on Sunday).

Rory has staff, works v hard and has some heavy bits and is def up the league table & deservedly so for his effort, risk and exposure to get where he is.

I've always had the cars MOT'd, serviced and Pdi'd once they've sold, because- well this is the way it's always been over the years.  I realise that things change and you need to adapt or die, so I've learnt many lessons over the past year or too, from the likes of Rory and others on here, including that I maybe need to have them 'ready to go' due to todays 'I want it now' society.  

43 minutes ago, JA Trader said:

Sorry to go off topic on this one but thats very good numbers and a hell of an aim for me basically restocking yourself every month. Do you work alone or have a staff as well ? If your buy yourself i can see why you put so many hours in. Sorry for prying just trying to educate myself a little

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

I've always had the cars MOT'd, serviced and Pdi'd once they've sold

99% of the time, I do this myself. I have also started doing this on minor cosmetic prep (wheels, very light scuffs).

I explain to the customer (if they complain).

Yes Sir, the wheels need a refurb but I have left them to allow the customer to choose the colour.

We always MOT after POS so that you get a brand new FULL MOT.

This has a few benefits.

1) Helps cash flow

2) Sometimes people do not care about a scuffed rim (if it is minor)

3) I sometimes use a refurb instead of discount or I will say, "I will knock off £200 if you accept the wheel condition for example." In which case, I haven't actually given any discount.

MOT's are always done, no room to negotiate on that point.

Edited by Mark101
  • Like 1

From the experience of working for many dealers over a lot of years, (pdr and glass repair) I find it is the guys who do not prep properly before the customer see's the car is also the one to go quietest first and for longer if things do go slow. Before anyone jumps on me that is from my experience and could well be different to others.

20 minutes ago, Screenman said:

From the experience of working for many dealers over a lot of years, (pdr and glass repair) I find it is the guys who do not prep properly before the customer see's the car is also the one to go quietest first and for longer if things do go slow. Before anyone jumps on me that is from my experience and could well be different to others.

There is no reason whatsoever in 2019 not to have cars ready to go. People want to pay and drive off. 

They won't tell you they will just buy elsewhere.

• Like 1

I call it open gates, dirty car gate shut, scuffed alloys gate shut, dents gate shut, damaged screen gate shut, you want as many gates open as possible for when that customer turns up so that there is a nice clear path for them to walk through.

41 minutes ago, Screenman said:

Who would have expected a screen and pdr guy to suggest such a thing :lol:

Ok, real example:

VW Passat £7k 1 previous, 70k with FSH (VW), grade 2 to 3 overall (my opinion not Auction). Needed a valet, 4 wheels, MOT and Service.

Valet done

MOT done

Service done

Wheels left.

Sold in 3 days to a guy who had been looking for months? at £6,800 but accepting the £200 discount towards a wheel refurb.

Now, I agree - I would love to have everything prepped to leave within 5 minutes but whenever I have done this (and you can call it Sod's Law) - the vehicle has sat around for 2 or 3 months and thus required a re-MOT. Also, I have lost count of the amount of times I have "got away" with not refurbing wheels and sold within a month at full asking price.

All that said and in total contradiction to my own statement (for my own pride) - I would love to have all my stock 100% ready, makes the sale much easier and I know 100% what my SIV is.

I get told on most occassions that my premises, stock and attitude is amoungst the best around these parts. Of course, they could be blowing smoke up my arse but then again, it could be true.

My current experience is the phone not ringing, not losing customers through a lack of prep.

I had stopped using any other platform than car gurus for the last few months wanted to give them a proper try before i agreed to sign up for a package. Few leads a couple of sales but nothing amazing. Threw some of my stock that falls into the "uncertain Category" on ebay classifieds yesterday and 3 phone calls the same day to look at stuff this weekend......

Maybe its not quite im just not trying hard enough.