JDM1983

Odd mileage history

Looking at a car coming up at auction next week, 2007, 59k, and the only MOT history for it is from Jan 2019. MotorCheck all comes back clear, no mileage discrepancy, not an import. First owner owned from new until March 2019, current keeper from then and already getting rid of it. Seems odd, unless 1st keeper hard sorn it from 3yrs old until 2019. Any thoughts?

Ex police cars or taxis don't always show up on mot history so watch it not undeclared ex private hire which wouldn't show on motor check 

does seem odd unless its maybe been someone gave up driving or passed away maybe son put it back  on the road again but has other car and no use for it something like that maybe  

good luck 

Thanks Casper, I hadn’t thought of ex police or private hire.  It’s low mileage and fact it’s a Clip Sport 197 I think it probably not that. Maybe an innocent reason like you say. 

33 minutes ago, JDM1983 said:

Thanks Casper, I hadn’t thought of ex police or private hire.  It’s low mileage and fact it’s a Clip Sport 197 I think it probably not that. Maybe an innocent reason like you say. 

Good for future reference . I've seen taxis not show up on mot history and then appear at auction with suspected lower mileage seen one of an auction site declared due to ecu reading but evrything else checked out  

another one was maybe money issues recent family man couldn't afford to keep two cars on the road but didn't want to part with his weekend car on the hope he would use it some time 

keep us posted 

Edited by Casper

3 minutes ago, mike101 said:

Private plate swaps can mess up the MOT history too. 

Thanks Mike, according to MotorCheck no plate changes either 

6 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

Or been abroad for a few years

I never thought of that but sounds like a good option 

I guess thats doesn't always show up on hpi 

Out of interest does the export marker remain if its exported then brought back to this country .

Edited by Casper

26 minutes ago, Casper said:

I never thought of that but sounds like a good option 

I guess thats doesn't always show up on hpi 

Out of interest does the export marker remain if its exported then brought back to this country .

There is no export marker when you take your UK car to your holiday home abroad for a couple of years. You can SORN the car but most people keep taxing them. There is no easy way to tell if a car has been abroad other than headlamp stickers :-)

The export marker is only for permanent export. 

39 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

Or been abroad for a few years

Could be this, has 10 stamps in the book so one would assume it’s been used somehow

29 minutes ago, Blenheim Car Sales said:

there is a race series for Clio Sport 197  you realise no mot for track cars

:o hadn’t thought of that, could be. It’s a grade 3, so prob a bit nice for an ex track car...cue the comments about BCA grading quality :D

27 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

There is no export marker when you take your UK car to your holiday home abroad for a couple of years. You can SORN the car but most people keep taxing them. There is no easy way to tell if a car has been abroad other than headlamp stickers :-)

The export marker is only for permanent export. 

Thanks Nick 

You got me thinking now .  i get what your saying  my friend did that with a discovery to his dads holiday home and then sold it at his uk van site about 3 years later and as you say when you think about it  like you have explained it thats what could have happened with the clio and possible and most likely did .

Im thinking though say someone decided to move for what they thought was  good taking there car with them had a cousin do it and move back to the uk when his wife took ill so effectively you think when going the car is tobe exported for good but something changes say personal circumstances and you want to bring the car back   

How would this happen with the car having the paper work filled in to be exported would its then just be like an import when brought into this country like many others even though it was previously a uk car just a thought

Edited by Casper

I have the same car on my radar as well. Cant figure it out 10 services 8 main dealer so its being used and serviced somewhere and the 8 main dealer suggests its somewhere with a Renault garage.

Maybe been used in one of the channel islands with not MOT needed since new ???

39 minutes ago, JA Trader said:

I have the same car on my radar as well. Cant figure it out 10 services 8 main dealer so its being used and serviced somewhere and the 8 main dealer suggests its somewhere with a Renault garage.

Maybe been used in one of the channel islands with not MOT needed since new ???

That's another possibility I guess .

1 minute ago, Casper said:

That's another possibility I guess .

Very tempted to buy it to satisfy my own curiosity. Would have to be cheap though ....

15 hours ago, JDM1983 said:

Looking at a car coming up at auction next week, 2007, 59k, and the only MOT history for it is from Jan 2019. MotorCheck all comes back clear, no mileage discrepancy, not an import. First owner owned from new until March 2019, current keeper from then and already getting rid of it. Seems odd, unless 1st keeper hard sorn it from 3yrs old until 2019. Any thoughts?

I'd be thinking of it this way - If you are checking the MOT history and cant work out whats going on, what will the clio 197 nerd be thinking? He'll be thinking 'thats dodgy' and looking at the next one on AT instead.

yes i think the  average person would trust the VOSA mot history for the milage far more than they trust a  service book...................  anyone can fill a service  book not everyone can log on to complete a VOSA mot year after year, Might be  a genuine story and reason just unsure if its worth the hassle, My experience is customers to know about and search MOT history on a  lot of my cars

My thinking here is hoping all the people looking at the car are thinking the same thing and it goes nice and cheap.

Ill have £10 it still makes £200 over the cap :D:P:D

Edited by JA Trader

2 hours ago, MattR said:

I'd be thinking of it this way - If you are checking the MOT history and cant work out whats going on, what will the clio 197 nerd be thinking? He'll be thinking 'thats dodgy' and looking at the next one on AT instead.

1 hour ago, Blenheim Car Sales said:

yes i think the  average person would trust the VOSA mot history for the milage far more than they trust a  service book...................  anyone can fill a service  book not everyone can log on to complete a VOSA mot year after year, Might be  a genuine story and reason just unsure if its worth the hassle, My experience is customers to know about and search MOT history on a  lot of my cars

1 hour ago, JA Trader said:

My thinking here is hoping all the people looking at the car are thinking the same thing and it goes nice and cheap.

No doubt it will  do silly money 

but as others have said if we cant work it out it will put the customers off as blemheim says they will be thinking anyone can stamp a book . And as matt r says if customer cant find the mot history they will think there is something strange going on 

For future reference but not in this particular car  as it has main dealer stamps though bear in mind we i have all heard stories about stamps being bought on ebay etc but if a car has any sort off stamp in the book it will be marked as history even if the book only has serviced by joe bloggs with no address or phone number service carried out by genuine parts a car badge etc  at some auctions more so the independents they mark it as history but we have no way to verify this .. 

I know a some of auctions list or used to list the actually services and dealer name but others don't and others have stopped with new data protection laws . 

Just something that might help some one out that was all 

I bought one it just said on its last stamp serviced by George second name mechanic  .on the auction catalogue it just said 8 stamps 2 main dealer I never actually thought to check the online description as was just something that happened to be at a sale i was attending  

it was a cheapish older  crv so didn't really matter or have much affect as was a £2995 car for the dealer I appraised for a the time 

but would have hated it to happen on a range rover sport or something . 

Edited by Casper

1 hour ago, JA Trader said:

Judging by everything else going through this morning it will, tried a couple of bits I’m interested in but can’t get near the prices some people are able to pay at the moment. 

It’s either been parked up for years, abroad or an ex-police undercover car - they buy all sorts of ‘oddballs’ that Billy the drug dealer wouldn’t think is a police car.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BHM said:

It’s either been parked up for years, abroad or an ex-police undercover car - they buy all sorts of ‘oddballs’ that Billy the drug dealer wouldn’t think is a police car.

Your right BHM I've seen them use a focus st up here seen a black one kicking about its a nice one to has the nice darker wheels etc 

well I guess they use undercover as seen it parked in  in the two car driveway next to the standard beat car 308 at the local plod station so guess was an undercover car.

Edited by Casper

I buy quite a few cars from Isle Of Man, no MOT,s there but neither do they show up as imported,,,, number of clever cnuts i had on old 944 i sold last year telling me must be fcuked because not mot,d for 10 yrs