stockedup!

What's the biggest blow......

Blowing 5 grand....Something different.(sorry a bit long winded )Long ago when everyone paid by cheque.The bank calls and says we are way overdrawn.I reply that it was not possible as we had paid in X number of cheques in the last few days.The guy says you need to pay in £x in the next 24 hours or we will return ( bounce ) your cheques as unpaid.So to remedy the problem I reluctantly agreed to trade a Merc if they paid pronto by bank draft.This meant blowing £5k which was big money back then.So I present the draft and the cashier says ‘ you should have just transferred money over from your personal account ‘ ( which usually only had £700 in it ) so that made no sense.It turned out that we had been mistakingly using a new style personal account paying in book for company bankings which the bank did not notice either.As the company name and our name is totally different ,I complained for compensation.The bank complaints procedure took a couple of months and the result was that we would not get any compensation because we were ‘ contributory negligent  ‘ by using the wrong paying in book........You had to sell a lot to net £5k back then,so it was a big blow and I could not buy the Merc back as it had been quickly traded on.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, trade vet said:

Blowing 5 grand....Something different.(sorry a bit long winded )Long ago when everyone paid by cheque.The bank calls and says we are way overdrawn.I reply that it was not possible as we had paid in X number of cheques in the last few days.The guy says you need to pay in £x in the next 24 hours or we will return ( bounce ) your cheques as unpaid.So to remedy the problem I reluctantly agreed to trade a Merc if they paid pronto by bank draft.This meant blowing £5k which was big money back then.So I present the draft and the cashier says ‘ you should have just transferred money over from your personal account ‘ ( which usually only had £700 in it ) so that made no sense.It turned out that we had been mistakingly using a new style personal account paying in book for company bankings which the bank did not notice either.As the company name and our name is totally different ,I complained for compensation.The bank complaints procedure took a couple of months and the result was that we would not get any compensation because we were ‘ contributory negligent  ‘ by using the wrong paying in book........You had to sell a lot to net £5k back then,so it was a big blow and I could not buy the Merc back as it had been quickly traded on.

Bet you felt let down by the bank and kicked yourself for a while afterwards . We have all been in situations when we do just that . 

£3300 loss on an accident damaged Focus Ecoboost. Engine was shot, traded it in to WBAC, unsure how sound the engine was in the end :ph34r:

£3200 loss on a Jeep after repairing it for 4 years. So that was essentially tens of 1000s lost if you think how many times we could have rolled the money over.

• Like 1

Won what I thought was a cheap 17 seat Minibus online at BCA only to find it had all the seats taken out.  My mistake for not reading the appraisal.

• Like 1

Just had to put a brand new engine + clutch + dmf + freshly serviced turbo's in to a 180 biturbo Transporter.

Not sure there is much change from £4k. 

There is some serious losses on this thread , Giving me heart palpitations reading this :o

Christ almighty if I lost some of these figures I would never recover my sanity . 

I lost a £5 note 2nd August 1984 , it fell out of my pocket when i was riding back from the bike shop after collecting my new Yamaha FJ 1100 and that fiver still haunts me to this day :angry:.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, David Horgan said:

There is some serious losses on this thread , Giving me heart palpitations reading this :o

Christ almighty if I lost some of these figures I would never recover my sanity . 

I lost a £5 note 2nd August 1984 , it fell out of my pocket when i was riding back from the bike shop after collecting my new Yamaha FJ 1100 and that fiver still haunts me to this day :angry:.

I dropped 2 twenty's in a petrol station forecourt one day was going to tax a car  and the £40 still haunts me dropped a fiver on day at the mot station too.

i put lotto hot picks on for years didn't put on over the years and they came up lost about 3k or just under but you don't miss what you never had ..  

47 minutes ago, David Horgan said:

You must have lost on some. No ones been in this job for a few years and not lost out. Its not possible. 

Ive had a few big hits. Q7 that came in as a part ex. Sold it. Some twat bought it and did about 3000 miles in 2 weeks. Engine completely knackered. Had to give a full refund, rebuilt an engine it was still not right.Gearbox ended up needing replacing. Ended up bodging it up and ebay selling it. Lost at least £4k. 

Game of averages, win far more than we lose. 

29 minutes ago, Rory RSC said:

You must have lost on some. No ones been in this job for a few years and not lost out. Its not possible. 

Ive had a few big hits. Q7 that came in as a part ex. Sold it. Some twat bought it and did about 3000 miles in 2 weeks. Engine completely knackered. Had to give a full refund, rebuilt an engine it was still not right.Gearbox ended up needing replacing. Ended up bodging it up and ebay selling it. Lost at least £4k. 

Game of averages, win far more than we lose. 

I agree Rory, it happens. I honestly don't know of anyone who hasn't taken a fair old hit one way or another doing the job to some degree.

22 hours ago, JA Trader said:

Sold a cooper s to a good mate over the weekend. He has just rang me to say oil light flashing and its overheating. Oil light flashing so likely blocked pick up pipe if im lucky no engine damage but then if its overheating it might be new engine time anyway :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Someone was looking out for me yesterday. New oil pressure switch fixed the oil light.

The temperature light coming on was my own fault i had been changing some stuff on the car and put the wrong speedo back in it. So the temp light coming on was him turning the cruise control on .................

Before i get agro for changing the clocks there was a damaged element on the old one and the mileage isn't stored in the clocks on these cars its stored in the centre Nav unit. All fixed and back on his way.

1 hour ago, JA Trader said:

Before i get agro for changing the clocks there was a damaged element on the old one and the mileage isn't stored in the clocks on these cars its stored in the centre Nav unit. All fixed and back on his way.

“The clocks are out Sir, how many miles would you like?” :lol:

37 minutes ago, BHM said:

“The clocks are out Sir, how many miles would you like?” :lol:

:P:P:P 80k on this case or was it 70k :D:D:D

• Haha 1

I blew £1500 fixing a £3995 Zafira a few years back. It was one of those where I wish I never started but your in so deep you have to keep going.

It ended up fixed and the patient customer was happy in the end

14 minutes ago, AAM90 said:

I blew £1500 fixing a £3995 Zafira a few years back. It was one of those where I wish I never started but your in so deep you have to keep going.

It ended up fixed and the patient customer was happy in the end

Nice to know Im not the only one .

I've just blown £2,500 on a Fiat Panda, started off driving it back from the auctions in my 2014, 26,000 mile car and thinking oh ffs this needs a clutch in it at that mileage! Not the end of the world I thought as it was fairly behind book, until my workshop rings. 

It has also taken out the dual mass flywheel, still not the end of the world I thought. That's the good news they say, the bad news is where the shaft enters the gearbox it's bored the hole out  in the gearbox bell housing. 

Unsurprisingly there aren't any secondhand gear boxes available for a Panda 4x4 Twin Air 6 speed manual, so I had to buy a housing from Fiat which only come in solid 18k gold.  

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, J.T said:

I've just blown £2,500 on a Fiat Panda, started off driving it back from the auctions in my 2014, 26,000 mile car and thinking oh ffs this needs a clutch in it at that mileage! Not the end of the world I thought as it was fairly behind book, until my workshop rings. 

It has also taken out the dual mass flywheel, still not the end of the world I thought. That's the good news they say, the bad news is where the shaft enters the gearbox it's bored the hole out  in the gearbox bell housing. 

Unsurprisingly there aren't any secondhand gear boxes available for a Panda 4x4 Twin Air 6 speed manual, so I had to buy a housing from Fiat which only come in solid 18k gold.  

Another reason I don’t like the 500 which appear to self destruct around 50k.

Hope you wash your face with it mate.

I know they aren't used much anymore, but just be aware a bank draft is a cheque written by a bank that takes exactly the same amount of time to clear as a normal cheque.

• Like 1

My cheques generally clear overnight now. Banks are starting to scan cheques and email (all automatically) to the issuing bank. 

Cheques out and cheques in, max 48 hours for me - Santander.