Big Dom

Accidentally bought on BCA live auction

Has anyone bought by accident on a BCA live auction? This happened to me totally by accident whilst trying to adjust the volume on my computer, it’s a car that’s 3 times more expensive than I’d normally purchase & make that I’ve never bought before. I’ve spoken to BCA & they have said I have to pay for the car or suspend my account...I’ve just tried to put a bid on a car tomorrow on line & it says I’m not registered to do so... What will happen when I’m bidding at the auction if I buy a car, give my account number then go to pay, will they let me have the car ? I’m a gold member & probably bought 50 in the last 12 months. Any advice would be so helpful, also information on any decent auctions  in the Chester, North Wales , Manchester areas.

12 minutes ago, Big Dom said:

Has anyone bought by accident on a BCA live auction? This happened to me totally by accident whilst trying to adjust the volume on my computer, it’s a car that’s 3 times more expensive than I’d normally purchase & make that I’ve never bought before. I’ve spoken to BCA & they have said I have to pay for the car or suspend my account...I’ve just tried to put a bid on a car tomorrow on line & it says I’m not registered to do so... What will happen when I’m bidding at the auction if I buy a car, give my account number then go to pay, will they let me have the car ? I’m a gold member & probably bought 50 in the last 12 months. Any advice would be so helpful, also information on any decent auctions  in the Chester, North Wales , Manchester areas.

You have a contract with the auction when you buy it so have no choice in my view a colleague of mine I was buying for did it once when viewing a car that was next up online at an auction i was attending and I asked what he thought of it in the end he did all right out it the car he accidentally bought though

suppose  you could try a sob story but as you said yourself they could suspend your account or ban you from buying from all Bca sites your account will be suspended online and physical auctions so your account would show suspended on the office computer  

someone else may know different but thats my take .

Edited by Casper

Hi Big Dom. I think you need to take some action to live up to your screen name.  

Look big, pay, then trade it or sell it on for a small loss if you have to-or better still, put all your energy into preparing and advertising it and make a profit - even maybe getting a decent swapper in you may not have otherwise had. A win, win from a lose.

What car is it btw?

If you’ve bought 50 cars, then getting the odd one wrong shouldn’t bother you. We all make mistakes intentional or not  

I guess you’ve otherwise got to ask yourself if you can live without a BCA account. Although ‘suspension’ doesn’t mean ‘expulsion’ no?

Edited by NOACROSS

Thing is it doesn't say how long they would suspend it . So could end up costing you if you lose out on others car etc .

I buy a lot online, and BCA always phone up to confirm the purchases, why I wonder is it for circumstances like this?

If it was a mistake surely you only had the one bid on it? This will go in your favour, their system is very clever and they will have every detail to hand. 

23 minutes ago, Stalker said:

I buy a lot online, and BCA always phone up to confirm the purchases, why I wonder is it for circumstances like this?

If it was a mistake surely you only had the one bid on it? This will go in your favour, their system is very clever and they will have every detail to hand. 

The phone up to confirm is a load of rubbish. I asked them once "whhat if the bid was made accidentally or my account hacked what would you do?"

They replied it would be down to you to prove you bidded accidentally or account got hacked.

I have been saying this all along bca have too many petty processes ie phone to confirm - when all these employees who do this daily could be doing something else. They even phone to confirm purchases in the hall. What is the point of this when they then put it on you to prove you didn't bid?? Are we supposed to get Bill Gates to help out with some IT tracing?

Let them suspend it and then re register at another branch. If you got someone else on your trade insurance then re register under their name.

Not surprised at some of the replies here. Too many treat bca like god. If they didn't then bca would behave.

Edited by TangoVictor32

Thanks all, it’s so frustrating. I use an Apple Mac & was only logging on to see what price a certain car was but when I entered the live auction the volume was on full, completely deafening, as I was trying to turn it down an on screen volume emblem came up which is what I clicked on to adjust the volume however this didn’t work so I continued with the buttons but the volume emblem was obviously over the bid button. I had no idea I’d placed a bid until I received the email with the invoice. I phoned up immediately & was told someone would investigate then I phoned again Monday & someone else said I have to pay or they’ll suspend my account. It’s a Skoda felic. I trade part time as I generally have mid week days off & would love to give my job up one day & be a full time dealer but it’s not currently sustainable enough. Each year I buy more with the dream being next year it may be possible.  

If I bid in a physical auction & give my account number at the rostrum surely they’ll let me buy the car once the hammers fallen or they’ll have to re enter it in the next sale? Something they could do with a dam Skoda.......?

1 minute ago, Big Dom said:

Thanks all, it’s so frustrating. I use an Apple Mac & was only logging on to see what price a certain car was but when I entered the live auction the volume was on full, completely deafening, as I was trying to turn it down an on screen volume emblem came up which is what I clicked on to adjust the volume however this didn’t work so I continued with the buttons but the volume emblem was obviously over the bid button. I had no idea I’d placed a bid until I received the email with the invoice. I phoned up immediately & was told someone would investigate then I phoned again Monday & someone else said I have to pay or they’ll suspend my account. It’s a Skoda felic. I trade part time as I generally have mid week days off & would love to give my job up one day & be a full time dealer but it’s not currently sustainable enough. Each year I buy more with the dream being next year it may be possible.  

If I bid in a physical auction & give my account number at the rostrum surely they’ll let me buy the car once the hammers fallen or they’ll have to re enter it in the next sale? Something they could do with a dam Skoda.......?

Yes they can re enter it... But if it makes less than what the hammer went for you.... Then you'll cough up difference...

You got it for £7k

Next weeks auction it goes £5700 then you're paying £1300 !

3 minutes ago, TangoVictor32 said:

The phone up to confirm is a load of rubbish. I asked them once "whhat if the bid was made accidentally or my account hacked what would you do?"

They replied it would be down to you to prove you bidded accidentally or account got hacked.

I have been saying this all along bca have too many petty processes ie phone to confirm - when all these employees who do this daily could be doing something else. They even phone to confirm purchases in the hall. What is the point of this when they then put it on you to prove you didn't bid?? Are we supposed to get Bill Gates to help out with some IT tracing?

Let them suspend it and then re register at another branch. If you got someone else on your trade insurance then re register under their name.

Not surprised at some of the replies here. Too many treat bca like god. If they didn't then bca would behave.

I could re register in the wife’s name but then your back to square one with buyers fees for the first 11 cars.....

Just now, Big Dom said:

I could re register in the wife’s name but then your back to square one with buyers fees for the first 11 cars.....

No... Ring up Newcastle theyre more friendly they will put you on a gold for 3 months trial... 

I can't believe what I'm reading here. I feel for the OP, I really do. But ffs, man up. You bid, you bought it, now pay up. Learn from it and move on.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tom said:

My cat bought one last week...

308 feline?

Try and negotiate,start by offering them £500 to re enter it.It is going to cost you either way,worse things will happen if you decide to stick around in this job.

19 minutes ago, TangoVictor32 said:

No... Ring up Newcastle theyre more friendly they will put you on a gold for 3 months trial... 

All the scottish branches do that now too think its pretty standard 

27 minutes ago, Big Dom said:

Most pop you onto gold card straight away now if you speak to them I've known 3 people do it 

13 hours ago, TangoVictor32 said:

I went straight onto gold with Walsall. Our Rep is decent chap aswell.

In Regards to the OP. When i first started out i bought 3 cars all in a row by accident from a different auction site. Placed a bid on the app won the car put it back in my pocket and gone about my day hasnt closed the app down and carried on bidding. Later that day 3 more notifications of cars i won. Luckily all cheap shit boxes sold them on Facebook at a loss just to get rid.

Pay the bill if you need the BCA account.

Edited by JA Trader

It may seem tough but if BCA rolled over every time some said "it was an accident, my kid got hold of my phone, my phone froze or whatever" can you imagine how many people would try and back out as the car isn't what they hoped or they simply changed their mind as a better car was coming through later on.

I have nearly done it when my mouse was hovering over the bid button, so I just moved it well out of the way.

1 minute ago, Mark101 said:

a better car was coming through later on.

On that note, one of my frustrations; I generally try and buy 3 cars at any time and have a list of suspects around 10 times that many (i.e. a list of 30 to achieve 3).

The ones I "really" want tend to be further down the running order, so I often underbid on the first ones (unless they come at my cheeky bid) in the hope of winning the ones I really want. I have lost count of the number of times I have chickened out of another bid on the slightly less desirable stock becuase a better car is coming and ended up with neither (because everyone was chasing the same car).

36 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

On that note, one of my frustrations; I generally try and buy 3 cars at any time and have a list of suspects around 10 times that many (i.e. a list of 30 to achieve 3).

The ones I "really" want tend to be further down the running order, so I often underbid on the first ones (unless they come at my cheeky bid) in the hope of winning the ones I really want. I have lost count of the number of times I have chickened out of another bid on the slightly less desirable stock becuase a better car is coming and ended up with neither (because everyone was chasing the same car).

Doing this to myself right now 3 cars this morning all fairly presentable and nice stock went through well under cap but there is one in around 50 lots that is just a little nicer. Watch it go way over cap and the first 3 where cheap.

40 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

It may seem tough but if BCA rolled over every time some said "it was an accident, my kid got hold of my phone, my phone froze or whatever" can you imagine how many people would try and back out as the car isn't what they hoped or they simply changed their mind as a better car was coming through later on.

But accidents do happen. They happen in every other aspect of life and IT.

Lets say you was away from your pc and the screen locked you press ctrl alt delete and log in and you're on the bid screen and mouse is on a green button and you click it.

We cant live in perfect world and step ever so carefully Because its BCA. Accidents do happen

Its ok.for auctioneers to bounce bids all day but one genuine mistake is discounted. 

There should be a cut off point ie like when op rang up immediately so this chucks your "car didnt turn out to be as expected" out of the window. 

Like i said it's pointless paying people to ring up and confirm bids then.... If they got people with free time doing this then if people back out or its accidental offer it to the under bidder. 

4 minutes ago, TangoVictor32 said:

But accidents do happen. They happen in every other aspect of life and IT.

Lets say you was away from your pc and the screen locked you press ctrl alt delete and log in and you're on the bid screen and mouse is on a green button and you click it.

Exactly this happened to us a few months ago, I asked someone to check the laptop to see how many lots away Enfield was from the car we wanted, I'd left the cursor in the middle of the screen, accidentally over the bid button, one slight movement of the trackpad and a click to wake the laptop up and we were highest bidder on a dog of an Audi tdi estate in ukcgr! Reserve met it was a tense few seconds until thankfully someone out bid us! The car was about the polar opposite to what we normally stock!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, JA Trader said:

Doing this to myself right now 3 cars this morning all fairly presentable and nice stock went through well under cap but there is one in around 50 lots that is just a little nicer. Watch it go way over cap and the first 3 where cheap.

Suprise Suprise went 700 over cap FFS....... Im going the pub.