Funny Farm

Stolen Credit Card to Purchase car over Phone

In every walk of life there is somebody trying to have you over.  

A couple of years back we got offered a cloned car offered in PX.  One of our sales staff dealt with the guy but you know when a deal just feels to easy?  No real questions about our car, no negotiation on PX value, small balance in cash.  Without sounding big headed I think a fair number of people would have fallen for it as paperwork all looked good, reg and chassis checked etc.

Only giveaway was something on the HPI spec check as the car had a few optional extras listed including a Sunroof however the car offered did not.  A quick call to the local BMW dealer confirmed it should have a sunroof so we discreetly did some more checks but the guy got nervous and made his excuses and left.  

We reported it but I don’t think it ever went anywhere.

2 hours ago, David Horgan said:

If you took £7,750 over the phone you will lose the lot if its a stolen card . 

If he paid chip and pin on the card at your premises your safe . Its what the pin number is for , shows customer contact . 

its that simple really .

Only take the amount of money on the phone that you are prepared to lose was what I was always told . 

had two old dears once try and buy a Megane R26 once and wanted to pay on the phone , i took the details of the card but didn't take the money and reported it , it was a stolen card in the end . 

I feel for you if you do lose the £7,750 and the car of course , 

David, even if people pay chip and pin it isn't 100%, if it turns out to be a cloned card/fraudulent transaction you may lose your money!

5 hours ago, C B said:

Do the deal with Peter Orr.

deliver the car personally, could be the same guy. Kick the fuck out of him and call the police.

I find in these instances it's best to just let the police handle it.

Thay are much more experienced in kicking the fuck out of people!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, David Horgan said:

£50  is all I will take on the phone Casper . just shows commitment from customer, Come and see it and then leave the other £450 on Chip & Pin  is my rule . 

Best way I'd say maybe £100-£150 but no more 

The other reason for not taking card payments in full over the phone is it becomes distance selling, and has a whole new set of rules. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, C B said:

I did say to ring them after? :lol:

I don’t that’ll be an issue in this case do you? :D

:lol::lol: Definitely no warranty comebacks with this one.

This is exactly why we prefer cash

People think cash = dodgy business or money laundering or tax evasion

20 years ago only very few people had cards. Cheques were a long process and cash was acceptable 

But nowadays it's a crime to use cash?

More crime that can be committed with electronic payment methods 

You could just walk around town with a sumup card reader connected to your phone and do £30 contactless payments by touching your reader to someones back pocket or handbag

Someone can easily clone a card and walk into any of your premises insert it enter the pin and walk off... Not like you ask to see their card and run it under a bank's card checking machine...

29 minutes ago, TangoVictor32 said:

This is exactly why we prefer cash

I remember having some cash taken by a police officer. The amount that was presented as evidence was significantly lower than the amount actually taken. Couldnt really complain about it to anyone at the time. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, C B said:

I don’t think that’ll be an issue in this case do you? :D

Haha I know, I was just saying it's another reason for not taking payments over the phone. 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, J.T said:

Haha I know, I was just saying it's another reason for not taking payments over the phone. 

:lol:

Some good news, Police have seized the BMW. We are now awaiting the car to be returned. Unfortunately the car has been sold on to another unsuspecting purchaser who I assume paid in cash by the roadside. 

Massive relief, I just hope this doesn't go into a new issue with the person who purchased the car, who is also an innocent victim. 

1 hour ago, Funny Farm said:

Some good news, Police have seized the BMW. We are now awaiting the car to be returned. Unfortunately the car has been sold on to another unsuspecting purchaser who I assume paid in cash by the roadside. 

Massive relief, I just hope this doesn't go into a new issue with the person who purchased the car, who is also an innocent victim. 

Maybe they will buy it from you  

3 hours ago, Funny Farm said:

That's fantastic news Funny, glad you've at least got the car back. I'm still intrigued about the first car he bought from you though, and why that wasn't a fraudulent transaction too. Did you do any digging yourself, if that was me I'd have been straight round to his address and knocking on his door.  

8 hours ago, Funny Farm said:

could this be dean  MARK talbot ?

are you claiming through your insurance for the stolen car ?

has the identity been swapped on the car ?

you need to find out sharpish how much this "innocent purchaser" paid for the car, because if he claims he paid well below book , then a judge will assume he knew the car was "hot" and return the car to you.

if he claims he paid the going rate then you maybe in for a struggle.

i would, if the insurance is not involved, engage a solicitor straightaway to fight your corner , all the best.

4 hours ago, J.T said:

That's fantastic news Funny, glad you've at least got the car back. 

He hasn't.

7 hours ago, Casper said:

Maybe they will buy it from you  

what, and pay twice ?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Funny Farm said:

Oh my god that must be some relief, get some professional advice maybe even from the car dealer club lawyers

27 minutes ago, have a word with the wife said:

could this be dean  MARK talbot ?

are you claiming through your insurance for the stolen car ?

has the identity been swapped on the car ?

you need to find out sharpish how much this "innocent purchaser" paid for the car, because if he claims he paid well below book , then a judge will assume he knew the car was "hot" and return the car to you.

if he claims he paid the going rate then you maybe in for a struggle.

i would, if the insurance is not involved, engage a solicitor straightaway to fight your corner , all the best.

He hasn't.

what, and pay twice ?

Was sort of half joking about them buying it  but i guess it depends on the outcome and if the second buyer did checks with hpi sites etc who sometimes these companys offer guarantees and compensation I'm led to believe i don't suppose many people would buy a car nowadays with £7000  in a briefcase which is worrying and wouldn't have thought the done thing would ring alarm bells and surely the police should be asking questions anyway i know the limits are about £8800 but still would be asking why not bank transfer etc at the very least

not this  particular car but sometimes you see cars like this been used in crimes etc  badly damaged or lightly damaged but enough with body shop repair costs etc they could amount to needing 5000 grand in repairs in no time making it a write off although this doesn't seem likely   

you make a lot of good points 

is the original purchaser claiming he bought in in good faith  but the same guy who bought it in the first place  

if the car has been cloned there would be repair costs so is and would the insurance need to be involved 

and as you said best with some sort of legal advice 

keep us all posted 

good luck 

9 hours ago, Funny Farm said:

Another loser in the chain - last one on the chain usually loses out unless the culprit is caught

38 minutes ago, TangoVictor32 said:

Another loser in the chain - last one on the chain usually loses out unless the culprit is caught

Yes lets hope there caught 

Thanks Guys,

The Police have granted us permission to collect the car from Birmingham tomorrow. Very relieved and will never take another payment by phone.. Lesson Learnt. The person who bought the car paid for it by cash £3000 under what we were selling it for.. He met the guy outside the station, Police had no sympathy for him as he didn't even HPI it.

If anyone gets a call from a Dean Talbot or Peter Orr, both have fake driving licences in these names. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Funny Farm said:

Thanks Guys,

The Police have granted us permission to collect the car from Birmingham tomorrow. Very relieved and will never take another payment by phone.. Lesson Learnt. The person who bought the car paid for it by cash £3000 under what we were selling it for.. He met the guy outside the station, Police had no sympathy for him as he didn't even HPI it.

If anyone gets a call from a Dean Talbot or Peter Orr, both have fake driving licences in these names. 

Glad it's sorted and car is ok 

21 hours ago, TangoVictor32 said:

What about the v5? Did you send it off? Or did he create a false one?

I got 1 key back and no paperwork (including service history). Luckily we had copies of all paperwork so at least we can use the V5 numbers online.

3 hours ago, Funny Farm said:

I got 1 key back and no paperwork (including service history). Luckily we had copies of all paperwork so at least we can use the V5 numbers online.

It will cause dvla Mix up and numbers will be unuseable if you already did an online application for new keeper?

I started this post last year regarding a Dean Talbot who stole 4 cars from us via credit card fraud. Well out of the blue yesterday I had the very same "Man" (Scum) phone me. He was stressed out that I had posted him all over the internet.. I assume the reason for the call was that the Police have now caught up with him?!. Luckily for me I got all 4 cars returned, but I firmly advised the People that purchased the cars from him work with the Police to try and catch him. 

Yesterday "Dean Talbot" was saying to me, I'm glad I put you out of business. Then he started literally crying (weirdly). When he got his composure he went on to call me names, whilst I was getting the satisfaction that he's been found!!.

Well long story short.. My business is fine, I got all the cars back and sold on.. And I hope this idiot is going to Prison!!! 

• Like 1