j4ck100

How long on average does each car take you to sell?

I know it's a hard question but I am genuinely interested what you guys stock turnover is ?

what would you say on average inventory days is per vehicle ?

Average is 40-50 days for me some cars sell really quickly and others stick much longer but as long as it sells it doesn't matter.

• Like 1

Average is 40-50 days for me some cars sell really quickly and others stick much longer but as long as it sells it doesn't matter.

Thanks for your response!

I agree if it sells in the end then all is well but I asked @jimreidvehicle for a CAP report on a TT that I am struggling with and the CAP+ estimated forward valuations are FRIGHTENING that is to say they are estimating this car will be losing £500 + Per month in value every month it sits in stock.... It's probably excasserbated by the fact that it's a convertible and values drop heading into winter but i'd have thought after 3 years it would hold it's value better!

Jack

Well with all these cheap lease deals about at the moment, its bound to have a knock on effect. But who's going to buy them at the end of the term if the 2nd hand market is stuttering? Floored business model to try and sell more new cars......... Can see some big losses!

Edited by Ken

Jack, I do think that it's best to get too tied up in average days of selling as they are exactly that..... average ! which means you could have a wee car that sells the first day it comes in and makes £700 profit , but the big chunky £40k 4x4 you have could take 91 days to sell and make you £3000 profit, the average days to sell is then 45 days! Horses for courses, always best to try and spread your stock , age, miles and price  this way you don't have all your eggs in one basket, as we all know one weeks you can't get rid of |Mini's the next week there is a queue of 10 folk looking for one! Profitability is key and turnover is part of it, try and aim to turn 3/4's of your stock at least once a month if you can!

The CAP book plus 3 months is normally quite accurate!

Jim   

• Like 3

We had the same thing with the tt roadster we had in stock, very little interest, 3 people viewed it and it was the third person who actually purchased it. We dropped the price by 1k and it took just over 30 days to sell. It was odd in that it had just had new discs and pads all round, new cam belt and water pump fitted at Audi, full Audi history and 2 new continental tyres .... It drove really well too. 

I remember you saying @Steve92.

Bet yours was TFSI too which i think would be a faster shifter as they are quite a bit cheaper on the used market and they only do 7mpg worse than the 2.0 TDI that I have.

22 days online so far and not a call/text/ "will u acept 3 grand thx kev!" Never actually had such a poor response from anything and because quite a bit of my capital is tied up in this thing I'm starting to worry especially as winter is rapidly approaching and values will go down the pan. Can't afford to hold on to it until spring at all.

Ours was the tfsi (so much better than the tdi) having said that we have a White tdi coupe in stock and while its having a few more calls its still not sold. TT's certainly the coupe diesels usually sell well in white. I don't think it's the engine putting people off, I collected an A5 on Sunday, 2.0tfsi Quattro auto and it sold on Monday and we have 2 others that would have wanted it.

• Like 1

There's a dealer down the road from me here in Switzerland who seems to sit on stock forever.  I moved to my current apartment in April 2014, and they had this car then.  It's still there, so 17 months and counting!

http://www.autoscout24.ch/de/d/renault-wind-kleinwagen-2011-occasion?vehid=2292253

It's a long way from what I'd call 'desirable' and not typical Volvo dealer stock, but I'd expect them to have just got rid by now!  Chatting to the salesman there back in October he said all the stock is owned outright, 100+ cars and the site is freehold too, the amount of capital there makes my eyes water

Here it is on Google Street View, a mere 11 months ago

Volvo1_zps6pvi4awz.png