Ken

Rejecting Cars Post Sale

Well I've been told today, legally if we buy a car online and we go to fetch it and find the gearbox etc is knackered, you can reject it as long as it does not leave the site. As soon as it's off their site, it's your problem. I got told this by a former BCA employee. Anyone found this to be the case?

• Like 1

I don't buy plaything from Auctions ! BUT that's pure madness - if ALL the dealers stopped buying on line the system would collapse , surely you MUST have better guarantee's than just around the 'yard !' surely the idea of buying on line is to save people time, you get vehicle transported / collected and there's comeback when it arrives to your business ! 

So glad I don't play Russian roulette with the system !

• Like 1

This must only be for assured cars it will not be every car.

I feel recently certainly over the last 12 months a lot of the auctions are really trying to boost the online buying experience. Manheim assured cars now come with a 3 day guarantee for the parts their check covers. This includes you having taken the car away auction. 

The only thing I find off putting with some auctions assured schemes is the quality of the person conducting the check. They are not mechanics and the individual checking can be as qualified as 'Keiran' my valeter.

Over the next 12 Months I think SMA and BCA will improve their grading system and things are all going to be geared up towards enhancing the online buying experience as a whole. 

• Like 1

Buying from auction online is purely gambling. Very rarely is an accurate description given and unless you are collecting the car yourself and inspecting it thoroughly before leaving then its pot luck. I have had several delivered into me with obvious faults that were not put in the descriptions. The sales rep who appraises the car does not really care if the dual mass is knocking away but he will surely highlight a little scratch. 

Buy local where you can and check the car thoroughly before leaving site. If theres anything not as described you should refuse to take the car and a full refund given.

I buy a fair bit from BCA online and find them pretty fair if something's delivered other than described. I've sent cars back and had my money refunded without hesitation, cars arrived with spec missing and they'll offer a payment etc.

I'd love to buy local and most of my stock was up until 2-3 years ago but unfortunately nearly all my local franchise dealers have been acquired by big PLC who have auction only policies. Those that are left are having a field day with trade stock with buyers almost fighting over it,

Buying from auction online is purely gambling. Very rarely is an accurate description given and unless you are collecting the car yourself and inspecting it thoroughly before leaving then its pot luck. I have had several delivered into me with obvious faults that were not put in the descriptions. The sales rep who appraises the car does not really care if the dual mass is knocking away but he will surely highlight a little scratch. 

Buy local where you can and check the car thoroughly before leaving site. If theres anything not as described you should refuse to take the car and a full refund given.

Thanks Max, so it does seem to be the case then if it's crackered when you get it, that you can reject it if a major fault was not declared.

I bought a transit connect a few months ago from manheim sold to me with 120k warranted, got delivered with 130k tried to reject it was told no chance of rejecting it as the mileage discrepancy was less than 10% more. And these people get away with it and we get the bad name.

I find Manheim quite difficult to talk to if there's an issue. I purchased a Fiat 500 from Colchester online a few weeks ago and as soon as I'd won it I HPI'd it, turned out to be a CAT D - not listed, not mentioned by the auctioneer but they were adamant I was having the car. I wasted hours on the phone talking to them, waiting for them to review video etc eventually rang up my local centre and spoke to somebody I knew who agreed they were wrong and got it all cancelled for me but why did it have to turn into an argument and I'll never buy from Colchester again.

I find Manheim quite difficult to talk to if there's an issue. I purchased a Fiat 500 from Colchester online a few weeks ago and as soon as I'd won it I HPI'd it, turned out to be a CAT D - not listed, not mentioned by the auctioneer but they were adamant I was having the car. I wasted hours on the phone talking to them, waiting for them to review video etc eventually rang up my local centre and spoke to somebody I knew who agreed they were wrong and got it all cancelled for me but why did it have to turn into an argument and I'll never buy from Colchester again.

That is quite frightening. You would have thought under those circumstances they would have jumped through hoops for you.

I guess how you get treated depends on how much they value, or need, your custom.

Yeah it was a tea time sale and I can only think the lady I spoke to had had a long day but she was adamant it wasn't a legal responsibility for them to disclose it being written off and it was my car.

I only buy a few cars from Manheim a month so you're probably right that they didn't fell the need to help me.

I went yesterday to pick up vehicle from BCA Bridgewater and there was a dent in tailgate which wasn't on vehicle appraisal form. Although it could be seen on pictures to which I didn't pay proper attention... Ask them if I can refuse the car they said no as the assured thing only applies to mechanical not visual part of the car... Anyway I took it and went home. But that's lesson learnt now - if I want to buy online I will go and see it first day before... Or attend an auction...

Touch wood.. BCA have been pretty good. I bought a Corsa VXR online, grade 2. Once the car had arrived it was anything but, 3 rusted panels, loads of scracthes, dents, paint contamination, ripped seat cover etc... Couple of phone calls and they offered to contribute or refund. I had to send pictures to them, and was told it would only be refunded if the missed damage would render it a different grade. Sure enough the vehicle went back, and was then listed as a grade 4 (still missing the rusty bonnet lip and ripped seat)

I bought an assured Saab from manhiem, car arrived and the radio didnt work. Amplifier had broken, £800 for a new one. Rude women at bristol wouldnt have anything to do with it. Its only covered on whats on the assured, they dont check the radio, so its my tough luck and my problem. havent bought again from them

And let's face it, the Manheim Assured report covers very little. I only tend to buy from one Manheim branch now, and that's where one of the sales team will look around the car for me. It's not unusual for him to tell me to leave an 'assured' car alone.

The BCA online experience, whilst not perfect, is head and shoulders above Manheim IMO.