Sign in to follow this  
Grantlfc81

v62 and car tax

evening gents. just tried to tax a car with a v62 at the post, never had a problem before however... mot'd the car this morning as it had expired, I went to tax the car this afternoon but couldn't.....  when I came back to office the mot had not updated.  I thought it updated instantly on the system.

the question I am asking is, can a car be taxed with no MOT, I think the answer is no but cannot find any info on google.  which is why im assuming the tax was denied on their computer

Edited by Grantlfc81

Just now, Blenheim Car Sales said:

No definitely not able to tax electronically or at a post office with no MOT

Thank you for this. The lady at dvla said the reason I couldn’t tax it was because it hadn’t gone into trade! I reckon she wanted me off the phone at all costs as it was 5:30!

If there's less than I think 2days left on mot then you cant tax 

Edited by jason doyle motor sales
®

1 hour ago, Grantlfc81 said:

evening gents. just tried to tax a car with a v62 at the post, never had a problem before however... mot'd the car this morning as it had expired, I went to tax the car this afternoon but couldn't.....  when I came back to office the mot had not updated.  I thought it updated instantly on the system.

the question I am asking is, can a car be taxed with no MOT, I think the answer is no but cannot find any info on google.  which is why im assuming the tax was denied on their computer

A bit unusual as the mot instantly goes on the data base as what I found

Edited by Tony911

1 hour ago, Tony911 said:

A bit unusual as the mot instantly goes on the data base as what I found

short answer no, or well, not always,i tested a customers car, and told him he could go tax it 2pm, still had 2 days mot left, p.o. refused, sent him back up at 4 and they taxed it, and this was with his renewal notice, not a log book or a application for the aforesaid, i think it comes down to how busy dvsa is regarding updating, and you can not tax a car with only 2 days test left.

On 8/22/2019 at 10:04 PM, have a word with the wife said:

short answer no, or well, not always,i tested a customers car, and told him he could go tax it 2pm, still had 2 days mot left, p.o. refused, sent him back up at 4 and they taxed it, and this was with his renewal notice, not a log book or a application for the aforesaid, i think it comes down to how busy dvsa is regarding updating, and you can not tax a car with only 2 days test left.

From my experience you can tax a car if the MOT is valid for the month you are taxing it into. So for example if you want to tax a car on the 1st of Sept. ,the MOT can expire on the 2nd of Sept and no issues.

22 minutes ago, MAP said:

From my experience you can tax a car if the MOT is valid for the month you are taxing it into. So for example if you want to tax a car on the 1st of Sept. ,the MOT can expire on the 2nd of Sept and no issues.

That makes sense.