Casper

Number plate replacement removal and refit

One of Todays job was changing some number plates on a car was actually me that fitted the

previous ones but the guy wanted some fancy 3d ones  when I fitted the previous set I used both green double sided tape and some plastic poly top screws which is my usual way some times replace the tape for foams pads or use screwcaps etc depends whats kicking about the place but normally used two methods of fitting and I like this method on my stuff 

Got the front off fairly easy but getting the rear off was a struggle one off the hardest one I've had and I've changed a few sets in my time eventually got it with a hairdryer and gentle pry what do you guys use to remove the stuck on ones ..seen some suggest dental floss etc on other forums 

on refitting  I used some foam number plate pads from a caravan accessory shop that seem to have done the job only used them as was passing when needing some usual get rolls of tape from the factor but always open to suggestions what do you guys recommend for sticking them on or you think your better to screw on I've seen people even use velcro pads 

I used a hair dryer and some glue and tar remover to remove the sticky residue any other ideas  .

hope you all having a good busy weekend and thank you 

Edited by Casper

I prefer to screw them on tbh as ive seen number plates on the forecourt in the past especially in the winter where the double sided tape has given up. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tom said:

I prefer to screw them on tbh as ive seen number plates on the forecourt in the past especially in the winter where the double sided tape has given up. 

Thanks for the reply Tom I normally do a combination of both as I find it helps the plate stay flat as I've seen them bevel out slightly over time so the tape or pads prevent this and then I stick some screws in  just got me thinking today what the best way was when the guy I was fitting them for said he would prefer no screws as it looks much nicer was what he said but as you say and I also agree the screws add to security both from general driving and not fear of frost etc getting to the tape and guess it makes theft harder though I've not really heard much of that in my area . 

22 minutes ago, Contracts said:

We use the tape and fixings from Wurth, not the cheapest but never fails.

for what its wurth the rep came to me many years ago and i looked through his cattologgy and ordered a box of bolts i needed,the bolts were like £6 and the delivery was like £10 never used them again as i now use ebay or screwfix

this is how companies go because competition moves the goalposts

i remember when a bic biro was a fortune in the shops that sold them then a company called staples opened and you could buy the same pens in bulk for pennies

then ebay came along

frightening really

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Contracts said:

We use the tape and fixings from Wurth, not the cheapest but never fails.

Thanks will have a look at Wurth . All the best 

3 minutes ago, David Ayers said:

Self tapers with a black cap drilled through the letters/numbers. So black on black.

THIS

• Like 1

Thanks to you all for suggestions..  Hope you all had a good weekend ..

Use some double sided tape from Home Bargains comes in a pack of 2 rolls for a £1

Dont think cheap is tat... Its very strong and you can use plenty and plates never come off.

Some excellent cheap mats at Home Bargains too for a fiver

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TangoVictor32 said:

Use some double sided tape from Home Bargains comes in a pack of 2 rolls for a £1

Dont think cheap is tat... Its very strong and you can use plenty and plates never come off.

Thanks for the reply and advice funny you should mention Home bargains . Sometimes I pick up there cleaning products to mix in  with the more expensive stuff in my valeting box and buy the little hanging air fresheners from there too there only 0.29 each and the fruity smelling isnt to overpowering like some of the more expensive ones I've used will pick up some tape and a set or 2 of mats next time im in never go wrong to have about the place all the best 

Edited by Casper
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Casper said:

Thanks for the reply and advice funny you should mention Home bargains . Sometimes I pick up there cleaning products to mix in  with the more expensive stuff in my valeting box and buy the little hanging air fresheners from there too there only 0.29 each and the fruity smelling isnt to overpowering like some of the more expensive ones I've used will pick up some tape and a set or 2 of mats next time im in never go wrong to have about the place all the best 

i buy all the chrome surround number plate covers they have in stock

these always lift up a dull eurobox

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TangoVictor32 said:

Tango just when you said don't think cheap is tat it got me thinking to how many identical products not always motor trade related that I've seen in home bargains poundland etc only to see them at twice the price in supermarkets online etc 

3 hours ago, jason doyle motor sales said:

i buy all the chrome surround number plate covers they have in stock

these always lift up a dull eurobox

Good idea . 

I used to buy Astonish upholstery spray from the 99p shop for the car seats. It was actually very good.

33 minutes ago, tradegirl said:

I used to buy Astonish upholstery spray from the 99p shop for the car seats. It was actually very good.

Some of there stuff is really good i use it on old pxs for a quick spruce up or family cars or my daily driver and mix and match on the newer stuff with autoglym autosmart and a few others nielsen etc did a valet for a neighbour the other on a 12 year old car he was impressed with the way it came up i owed him a favour for some work he did for me and wouldn't take payment 

On 22/07/2019 at 2:53 PM, Casper said:

Tango just when you said don't think cheap is tat it got me thinking to how many identical products not always motor trade related that I've seen in home bargains poundland etc only to see them at twice the price in supermarkets online etc 

Good idea . 

Exactly.

Especially the drinks.

Read a business story on Aldi and Lidl once and why they're cheap.... Its because they stock less variety of the same item so they buy one variety in bigger bulks and sell it cheaper.

Eg heinz beans they dont stock and they got a cheaper version I believe. If you go to Tesco or Asda you got 10 different brands of beans and people always buy the expensive ones....so if you only got one brand people will just buy them 

• Like 1