Peter Dim

Written off car MOT

Hi, bought one written off car with a wing and door dents. Wing and door are replaced with other not new ones.

The car has valid MOT but do I need to MOT again after the written off repair. Car is with cosmetic dents only category N

Thanks guys

No the current mot is still valid as far as I'm aware you can also now print out a copy of it once you have the v5 on the gov mot history website 

10 hours ago, Peter Dim said:

Hi, bought one written off car with a wing and door dents. Wing and door are replaced with other not new ones.

The car has valid MOT but do I need to MOT again after the written off repair. Car is with cosmetic dents only category N

Thanks guys

New mot would make new owner buy with confidence 

• Like 1

We always MOT every car, regardless. But especially written off cars. New MOT always works in your favour.

I would say better to fresh mot it as well come sale time from a piece of mind point of view and also to give yourself reassurance but for test drives etc the current mot Would still.be valid 

Edited by Casper

I can’t believe the DVSA have not thought to invalidate MOTs following insurance loss. 

You’d think it was common sense. 

Always always do a new Mot on a write off car to confirm that repairs have been carried out to a high enough standard and that the car is STILL roadworthy. There is no point to save the £30odd test fee. 

Edited by Nick M.K.
  • Like 2

Take note MrV - this is an insight into the mindset of write-off customers!! :lol:

39 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

I can’t believe the DVSA have not thought to invalidate MOTs following insurance loss. 

You’d think it was common sense. 

Always always do a new Mot on a write off car to confirm that repairs have been carried out to a high enough standard and that the car is STILL roadworthy. There is no point to save the £30odd test fee. 

You're right nick just don't understand vosa sometimes. Even if it's minor damage but been written off as a category d surely if the headlight is damaged it must be repaired to be road legal what if the aim of the light if pointing towards the stars and not the road

• Like 1

I also agree with nick its crazy how a car with major damage can be repaired to any standard and the the current mot used with no test etc on safety aspects of the repair .

I'm far from being an expert on these things but doesn't CAT S require fresh MOT before the V5 is re-issued? Why not extend that to all write offs regardless, can't see how it would hurt. Especially bearing in mind the amount of guys that are doing the whole youtube "Copart rebuild" thing. And from what I've seen there are varying levels of competency; some guys should be banned from owning a set of spanner!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, met said:

I'm far from being an expert on these things but doesn't CAT S require fresh MOT before the V5 is re-issued? Why not extend that to all write offs regardless, can't see how it would hurt. Especially bearing in mind the amount of guys that are doing the whole youtube "Copart rebuild" thing. And from what I've seen there are varying levels of competency; some guys should be banned from owning a set of spanner!

I think some insurance companies insist on a new mot vosa don't automatically remove them  I've checked cat n and s cars on mot history and status site and both still show current mot I worked with a guy years ago who did write offs in a garage and a remember. a mondeo and a 106 having the log book notes section having the words this vehicle has been reassembled from the use of spares parts think they were cat c back in 1999   Ive never tried to apply for log book as I've never personally bothered with write offs though I've thought about a few projects from copart that looked cheap for personal use . Hopefully some one will have applied for log book for cat s be interesting to know the answer .

Love what you said about the spanners i actually know qualifed mechanics and panel beaters like that and spray painters who think there professionals  and can tell there work a mile of  thats been the hardest part for me over the years finding decent mechanics etc 

One of the hardest parts over the years has been finding decent trades man mechanics etc at times I wish i did more training 20 years ago so I could be more hands on rather than just doing the buying and selling 

Edited by Casper

And as you said it unfortunate but i guess they never will . 

On 18/07/2019 at 11:35 AM, met said:

No. Applying for the V5 is the same as Cat N. Although if its a cat S you don't have to pay the £25 fee. 

Edited by NoMargin
  • Like 1

The buyers insurance will only be valid if it’s had an mot since being catted. Trades fine.  It’s insurance not government related