Sign in to follow this  
Barclaywoodmotorco

Auto trader leads

Hi Chaps

i seem to spend so much time responding to autotrader leads .

IS THIS AVAILABLE FOR SALE.

seems to be a total waist of time .

always write yes please call for info, and never get a reply.

is there any point.

regards 

Nic

I agree with you, It feels a  total waste of time......................  i mean serious  people would call right why wound`nt a serious person call you ????. It is however now a recognised way of comunicating its what people do its not what you want to hear but these mails need to be nurtured and developed into something, I have this also on the  "contact at once" messenger and text service as well as  car Guru, 90% of the time it is just a single one time message other 10% it becomes  something for real

I know it’s infuriating, but sadly there’s nothing you can do apart from reply politely and wait for the phone call. 

I find Autotrader enquiries are generally better quality than the likes of Ebay, Gumtree, Gurus etc. I always respond to everything that comes through, also the younger generation do everything by messaging it seems.

I agree but there will always be a genuine buyer within the time wasters.

Sold a car to a guy in his 80’s a few weeks back. All communication was done by AT email apart from during the viewing and hand over. Turns out he’d had an operation on his throat that had given him speech problems and was embarrassed about calling people now because he sounded drunk. 

On the viewing he told me he was amazed how many dealers he e-mail/text about cars that never bothered replying. Luckily I did, and got a sale from it so it’s always worth doing in my opinion.

Edited by Lakeside

I agree it can be a bit frustrating but work on the assumption it only takes miniutes to reply and just assume most of them come to nothing.

i do tend to find autotrader seems to generate more actual calls.

3 hours ago, Barclaywoodmotorco said:

Hi Chaps

is there any point.

regards 

Nic

Try a different response then, try a few different ways of responding and see if it helps. 

17 minutes ago, tradex said:

If I've said it once, I must of said it five times...

Customers call, but messers mail.

Customers use so many methods of contact these days that you can't really draw that line anymore. You can of course but you shouldn't. 

Some call, some leave a voicemail, some simply leave a DEPOSIT, some auto-apply for finance, some email, some text, some WhatsApp, some facebook, some DM on Twitter and Instagram and some (still!) just turn up! 

BE MORE OPEN MINDED ABOUT PEOPLE AND THEY WILL OPEN THEIR WALLETS.

• Like 1

One of our rivals does about 10% of their business without ever actually speaking with or meeting the customer.  

We try and have a quite phone chat before contract stage, more for security.  

Only last week I did an M4 via e-mail, a few extra pics, PX agreed, finance done, only met when he turned up and collected.  

The Car Gurus ones are the worst...ie : im interested in this car ??? they rarely call you back or view the car .  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tradex said:

"Customers call, but messers mail.*"

OK, I do see where you are coming from Nick. 2019 PC version, how about

Most proper buyers will call, but many messers may mail, txt, WhatsFacetube et al and, of that some, a small proportion may indeed purchase a horseless carriage using these forms of interaction.

NB:- This is a generalisation of current market condition experience, based wholly within the Norfolk and Northern Suffolk areas, at the time of writing. It should not and can not, be relied upon for other regions, nor should it be used a benchmark for any other business situations.

It is also the opinion only, of one motor vehicle vendor and in no way reflects other traders findings.

This statement may not be fit for purpose and, the writer makes no statement there of. Other summaries are available.

that should cover it;)

PS I have just sold a car to a guy in Asia via video:P

I’m with you on this although a fortnight ago I sold one via email & never met or spoke to them cos they arranged a collection haulier.

Tbh though, most emailers are simply fucking about whiling away their spare time. Many I don’t bother to answer (usually bottom dollar twats) & out of those I do answer I know I’m simply wasting my time on some semi-literate penniless imbecile but do so ‘just in case’ I’m wrong.

I do find that the majority of emails tend to end in nothing, but perhaps 1 in 20 will then follow through with a call or a visit so its worth replying to them. Looking at my DMS - Email as initial enquiry source has resulted in 9 sales so far this year. Not the best source of leads but I certainly wouldn't disregard any of them.

On 7/6/2019 at 6:57 AM, Barclaywoodmotorco said:

Hi Chaps

is there any point.

regards 

Nic

I'd say theres always a point. some will come back to you, many won't. I would be stunned if anyone on here can claim to have never, ever sold a car to someone where the enquiry started as an email. Although it seems rare for it to go all the way through without meeting them or talking to them, many deals do start as an email.

• Like 1

Just try and respond to them and get the ball rolling that way. Aim to convert the email leads into sales as best as you can and give it your best go. You won't win them all but the more you can get to turn up on the pitch the more will buy. Its just getting them through the door thats the key.

I have a contact at CarWow and apparently it takes 30 days to close a lead for them. I suppose you just need to work on keeping them warm and following up. Most of your leads won't covert though, it's just about making sure that the genuine ones are kept warm throughout their buying journey.

Car wow is new cars though and I suspect car wow users by their nature  do a lot of background research before making a purchase. 

Edited by CCC

Autotrader give average length of time to purchase a used vehicle at 6 weeks and over 12 hours looking!

12 hours ago, stockedup! said:

Autotrader give average length of time to purchase a used vehicle at 6 weeks and over 12 hours looking!

Some spend 12 months & more looking. One fella I know of, the biggest messer on the earth, about 3.5 years ago asked me my p/x price for his bottle green 2003 Picasso. He’s still driving it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BHM said:

Some spend 12 months & more looking. One fella I know of, the biggest messer on the earth, about 3.5 years ago asked me my p/x price for his bottle green 2003 Picasso. He’s still driving it.

The man has an appreciating classic on his hands :) 

5 hours ago, stockedup! said:
  5 hours ago, BHM said:

5 hours ago, stockedup! said:

The man has an appreciating classic on his hands :) 

Its now worth £250 instead of £200.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tony F said:

Has scrap gone up again? 

On ‎15‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 0:15 PM, Tony F said:

Down to you Tony :)

7 minutes ago, stockedup! said:

Down to you Tony :)

Cheaper than a skip!