Arfur Dealy

July, how’s it going

Tap turned back on, 11 now for the month, but no appointments or any sign of anything else just yet.

Ticking over pretty nicely. No records being broken, but much better than the previous two months. 

Likewise, we are ticking over with our nearly new but traders seem reluctant to take on px’s

Good steady month with 8 so far, the cheaper stock is doing really well. Some really nice bargain PX's as well, I luvs the bangers, easy money .........  :D

We are up to 15 now and a finance proposal online at 1:37 am this morning - I always wake up in the morning to 2-3 leads.... lol although this one does not sound like it’s going to be prime haha

Managed to get 3 out of prep and listed last week. So up to 4 listed.

Could have sold the one but tried to squeeze more out of the deal. Was supposed to have a viewing today on another, but he hasn't called to confirm.

Bit disappointing, but I know/hope something will shift soon. They're all higher than usual price bracket, so I can't wait to roll the money over.

3 hours ago, tradegirl said:

Managed to get 3 out of prep and listed last week. So up to 4 listed.

Could have sold the one but tried to squeeze more out of the deal. Was supposed to have a viewing today on another, but he hasn't called to confirm.

Bit disappointing, but I know/hope something will shift soon. They're all higher than usual price bracket, so I can't wait to roll the money over.

you mentioned 1 on sale 6 in prep? could i ask what your buying criteria is? just curious if you like to buy prep cars on price or just being unlucky at the moment..

10 minutes ago, awc1000 said:

you mentioned 1 on sale 6 in prep? could i ask what your buying criteria is? just curious if you like to buy prep cars on price or just being unlucky at the moment..

2 were in the bodyshop, got those out and listed.
5 were in/awaiting mechanics, got 1 out and listed.

I knew they all needed prep, but all mechanics/bodyshops have been dragging their feet more than usual (1 bodyshop had no electricity for a week :rolleyes:). For the most part they have healthy profit margins, so at least that's something!

phone call this aft from a "we have a few more to look at" viewing this morning .

"hello, you've still got that car that we viewed this morning i hope,  be in at 9 monday with a depo, do not sell it " :P

And this is a guy who has bought from me before, you try telling them, do they listen ? no :)

I had an old boy come in and look at  a Ford B Max and said he was dissapointed it didnt have 7 seats. :huh: 

i put up all my prices and the sales are coming in

weird but there you go

punters obviously want to get rid of their lolly before our great new leader leads us to the better land:lol::)

1 minute ago, jason doyle motor sales said:

i put up all my prices and the sales are coming in

weird but there you go

punters obviously want to get rid of their lolly before our great new leader leads us to the better land:lol::)

Have you seen that scene in the Three Amigos where they're in the desert, and two of them are dying of thirst, and Chevy Chase just glugs down water, spilling it everywhere while the others look on in thirsty disbelief?

That's how I feel right now reading that haha. That's good news though!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, tradegirl said:

Have you seen that scene in the Three Amigos where they're in the desert, and two of them are dying of thirst, and Chevy Chase just glugs down water, spilling it everywhere while the others look on in thirsty disbelief?

That's how I feel right now reading that haha. That's good news though!

:D:) I like how you put it I guess we all have our good and bad times at this game and up and downs but were still here doing it so we must be doing something right .i guess you will be busy when others are quiet  and vice versa 

Edited by Casper
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Casper said:

:D:) I like how you put it I guess we all have our good and bad times at this game and up and downs but were still here doing it so we must be doing something right .i guess you will be busy when others are quiet  and vice versa 

Casper, it seemed like a fitting example haha. Funnily enough this isn't a bad time. Touch wood and thank God, for the first time in a while we have a few popular cars with a good profit. A couple of months ago it was dire straits with just crap. So I'm at least confident the cars are right, now it's just a waiting game.

But definitely this job has its ups and downs!

• Like 1

After a completely dead month, just sold two in two days, could have sold them both three times in the end. Full ticket price, both good meaty deals to.

Unless it picks up in the next 5 days, then this will officially be our quietest month...ever!

31 minutes ago, Tony F said:

Unless it picks up in the next 5 days, then this will officially be our quietest month...ever!

Same apart from a couple of Decembers 

It's months like this where I wonder if this job is sustainable for me, if I'll ever get a unit, of I'll ever buy a house, or if I should just get a plan B and work towards something else.

Then there are those who are doing well, and I wonder not me?

9 minutes ago, tradegirl said:

It's months like this where I wonder if this job is sustainable for me, if I'll ever get a unit, of I'll ever buy a house, or if I should just get a plan B and work towards something else.

Ticking over here. 17 so far, but every deal has been like pulling teeth.  Much better than June though.   TV would be saying ‘even the liars are quiet’ 

There’s always a few bucking the trend, and good on them. I think exposure and location are very important.

We used to sell lots of later and luxury stuff and couldn’t sell a small car for toffee unless auto and cheap. This year, selling anything heavy is nigh on impossible, especially locally (have sold a few out of the area) but small cars under four grand are selling. Small autos remain great news but finding them with a margin is tricky.

As mentioned on another thread, it seems people are only buying out of necessity. Maybe that’ll change if the new government do have some balls and vision, or even some humility. I’m not holding my breath.   

It’s really tough business and it’s only sustainable if you have a load of dough you’ve squirrelled away in the good times. Whether or not it lasts you long enough to pay for the bad times is another question. That and having minimal overheads.

I’d give up my site tomorrow if someone wanted to pay me to move out. Trouble is, ‘key money’ isn’t really a thing anymore - or at least, it’s hard to get. Same with selling the ‘goodwill’.

Too many people in the game nowadays, and if you’re in the cheap, price-is-important world then it’s too cutthroat. Only hope is to sell things with an edge or that are unusual. The skill’s in the buying I’m afraid. 

It’s always good to have a plan B and be ‘antifragile’ but finding another string to your bow is tricky. 

If I was starting over again (I wouldn’t), it’d be just a part time thing on the side from home. 

Mate of mine is in the classic world and he’s saying it’s a waste of time now. 

I wonder if that’s true of the antiques business etc. 

10 minutes ago, tradegirl said:

If you look at the places doing well are you doing 50% 20% or 100% of what they are doing and matching them across stock selection, work ethic, set up in terms of contacts to allow efficiency of work ie repairs, paint,  online footprint reviews etc social media content, and just buying in at right price and selling at the right price, again the stock selection. 

If I had double the cars in stock as I have now I would sell twice as many in the month. I believe that but I am also quick to adapt and change when certain models slow  down and try to stay ahead of the curve.

Harsh as it sounds, be really critical of yourself, be honest withyourself and ask yourself are you doing enough. 

Sold 5 this month including a sticker we have had for ages. Not all is good though had one take it for an independent inspection at a garage after the sale and they are now complaining about supposedly 2k worth of work on the car that needs doing (Waiting for the alleged report) another insignia i cant fix for the life of me nicest buyer ever understanding and keeps bringing the car back to me but i think even his patience is wearing thin. Nasty feeling i could be starting next month with one or two buy backs.

10 minutes ago, Rory RSC said:

ask yourself are you doing enough. 

For me personally the answer has always been NO! I can always do more and better. And I keep trying.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rory RSC said:

Harsh as it sounds, be really critical of yourself, be honest withyourself and ask yourself are you doing enough. 

Rory, honestly, not by a long shot.

Barely any online presence, just a Facebook page that gets updated once every 3 months. No reviews, nothing.

As far as prep is concerned, I'm doing more than before. There's no way a customer will come and see a dirty car, whether inside or out. But...do I refurb the alloys if they all have slight kerbing? No. I probably should.

That's not laziness, it's about the profit margin.

So far back in arrears with £1500 going out each month on credit cards, we're constantly playing catch up and never coming close. Those 2-3 months with those crap Japanese purchases of mine didn't do us any favours.

Anyway, I just need to work harder, and make sure all cars are on all sites, good photos and videos. You did say I have to put the hours in, and at the moment there are still hours in the evening I'm not putting to good use.

@NOACROSS, I don't know about necessity. I see trader's pages where they're posing with young lads and girls with Seat FRs or BMWs. Or look at Rory's stock. They're not "necessity" cars at all. Necessity is an SE spec, but it seems everyone wants bells and whistles these days.

I was offered a 118i SE as a non runner with a good profit, but I passed it up because of the SE spec. Who wants plain cloth seats on a 1 series these days? Minimum has to be sports seats.

Anyway, I'm bringing this thread down haha. Just have to work harder and smarter, and do something about the funding situation.