Sign in to follow this  
Dealer

June Trading Activity

Been a while since we have had a thread like this, thought I'd start it off as I'm having such a torrid time at the moment. Despite our stock levels actually increasing we are selling less. 

How's others finding it, do you ensure that you have the "good price" or "low price" and if so does this tend to make your sales go quicker in terms of turn days. 

Don't think we are doing anything differently it's just blooming dead! 

Edited by Dealer

If only autotrader would use "best last lowest price"!

People I know who have never been quiet are quiet. We just had a really good week which was much needed. Hoping for some strong action right through to Mid November from now because for me it never felt like 2019 really started.

Felt some sense of relief wash over me having read your replies. Thanks, as it makes me not feel so bad about it. I know it'll always pick up at some point but when it's like this you can't see the end of the barren spell. 

Edited by Dealer

1 minute ago, Dealer said:

Felt some sense of relief wash over me having read your replies. Thanks as it makes me not feel so bad about it. I know it'll always pick up at some point but when it's like this you can't see the end of the barren spell. 

I am glad you find some sort of solace in the fact others are struggling as well but i’ve personally never understood that mentality. If i’m quiet for a week or two or even three I can’t say I think about it too much, three months is the timeframe to observe performance in my opinion. But anyway, so what if others are doing well or bad or average etc? There are people out there doing well, month on month, so i’d rather focus on that and aim to be one of them, than think “well that’s a relief, i’m not the only one who’s quiet” I mean, that doesn’t pay your bills does it?

If I were quiet, and nothing to do (prep, paperwork, price adjustments etc) i’d welcome it, go fishing or horse racing and enjoy it! But if it was raining and there was no racing and i’d been quiet for several weeks, i’d start looking at myself, what can I do differently? Could I rephotograph that car? Should I just cut it’s legs off and buy something else? 

I’m doing “ok” this month and another two deals (highly likely) this month and i’ll do “very well” but if they don’t come and instead 4 deals come in the first week of July does that make June a failure, or is it just a month is too short to worry about performance?

Anyway, I hope you get a few more in the bag and in the meanwhile just find some joy in life. It’s too short. 

Hadn't sold a car since the 28th of May until yesterday, during this month I've only a couple of half arsed viewings.

That was until yesterday, phone hasn't stopped ringing, even for ones that arent ready yet (ie prepping for sale adverts).

Sold one that had only been advertised since Monday late yesterday afternoon, really strong money, got another good viewing tommorow on a merc with a 58k 11 plate meriva comming in part ex and then 4 in a queue for a 320d touring that's having the timing chain replaced as we speak. 

I was like everyone else, sweating like a pedo in a candy store, questioning all my pictures, videos, prices and what not, so glad its actually picked up!

Edited by Mikey360

Case in point. Three weeks is nothing, really. I’m not saying it’s easy to just forget it. But as BHM recently said, you cannot force punters through the door. When it’s quiet it’s quiet and if you are doing what you have always done and that worked last month, then you’re doing nothing wrong. It’s just business. Any business. Peaks and troughs. I’ve lost count the amount of times i’m quiet and Mark101 is flying. A month later and he can’t give his away and i’m doing well. 

Sometimes it’s best not to talk to anyone. Misery loves company as tradex sagely reminded me some months ago.  

11 minutes ago, EPV said:

I am glad you find some sort of solace in the fact others are struggling as well but i’ve personally never understood that mentality. If i’m quiet for a week or two or even three I can’t say I think about it too much, three months is the timeframe to observe performance in my opinion. But anyway, so what if others are doing well or bad or average etc? There are people out there doing well, month on month, so i’d rather focus on that and aim to be one of them, than think “well that’s a relief, i’m not the only one who’s quiet” I mean, that doesn’t pay your bills does it?

If I were quiet, and nothing to do (prep, paperwork, price adjustments etc) i’d welcome it, go fishing or horse racing and enjoy it! But if it was raining and there was no racing and i’d been quiet for several weeks, i’d start looking at myself, what can I do differently? Could I rephotograph that car? Should I just cut it’s legs off and buy something else? 

I’m doing “ok” this month and another two deals (highly likely) this month and i’ll do “very well” but if they don’t come and instead 4 deals come in the first week of July does that make June a failure, or is it just a month is too short to worry about performance?

Anyway, I hope you get a few more in the bag and in the meanwhile just find some joy in life. It’s too short. 

5 minutes ago, EPV said:

Case in point. Three weeks is nothing, really. I’m not saying it’s easy to just forget it. But as BHM recently said, you cannot force punters through the door. When it’s quiet it’s quiet and if you are doing what you have always done and that worked last month, then you’re doing nothing wrong. It’s just business. Any business. Peaks and troughs. I’ve lost count the amount of times i’m quiet and Mark101 is flying. A month later and he can’t give his away and i’m doing well. 

Sometimes it’s best not to talk to anyone. Misery loves company as tradex sagely reminded me some months ago.  

Great point James, I tried to enjoy spending some time with the kids when it was raining non stop for a week and I couldn't get any detailing done. I think alot of us forget that this is a 24/7 kind of business. Best to take the opportunity for some time off whilst you can.

Edited by Mikey360

It's steady on but every where is quiet go down to your local building merchants even they are struggling. Bills are getting paid and we still alive so enjoy it whilst it lasts

Only 1 sold this month.

I passed up a "just coming to view" viewing on Father's Day, and asked them to arrange for another day.

Then I had a "I might buy, or I might view and come again with my mate to double check it" viewing. I asked him to arrange with his mate and they can check the car together and save the back and forth.

Neither party called to arrange another day, so I've lost those potential sales, and I know it's my fault.

Had a viewing today, but customer cancelled as we're still awaiting a logbook on the car.

Generally dead as a dodo.

Edited by tradegirl

18 minutes ago, tradegirl said:

I passed up a "just coming to view" viewing on Father's Day, and asked them to arrange for another day.

Then I had a "I might buy, or I might view and come again with my mate to double check it" viewing. I asked him to arrange with his mate and they can check the car together and save the back and forth.

Neither party called to arrange another day, so I've lost those potential sales, and I know it's my fault.

Neither  of those are your fault, if someone really wants a car they will come another day, as those did not come back they probably wouldn't of bought any way 

This week has been good for us in a strange up and down month. 

First week was busy, since then not much activity but still a few going out every week. I would like to be busy all the time but after 9 or so years of running around relentlessly working 7 days a week, I've learnt to enjoy these quiet times now like tradex says.

We're not doing anything different and last month was probably not far off from being our best month ever. It will pick up again, it always does.

35 minutes ago, tradegirl said:

Only 1 sold this month.

Had a viewing today, but customer cancelled as we're still awaiting a logbook on the car.

Generally dead as a dodo.

You haven’t lost a sale there. They may not have turned up. If they did they may not have bought it. Glass half full at all times in my eyes. 

I just took a call from a chap who wanted to buy a car from me today. I’m not at the unit, nor will I be as I have my boy and i’m enjoying a day off as i’ve been flat out with prep all week. He claims to have spent 4 days looking at these particular cars, took time off work etc. I asked him why he hadn't found one yet and he said “cos they’ve all been rubbish” 

Have I missed a sale? Possibly. But equally I could have abandoned my plans, gone down to my unit only for him to have got stuck in traffic or changed his mind and even then, if he did arrive, maybe he would have found every chip and scratch to sigh about and maybe he would have arsed about and squabbled over the price or maybe he is a serial car tester. Who knows. All I know is I haven’t lost a sale, i’ve missed an opportunity to sell but at what cost? As I said life’s too short. 

16 minutes ago, EPV said:

Have I missed a sale? Possibly.

We don't need to sell to every punter. We just to sell EVERY car. 

33 minutes ago, EPV said:

You haven’t lost a sale there. They may not have turned up. If they did they may not have bought it. Glass half full at all times in my eyes. 

I just took a call from a chap who wanted to buy a car from me today. I’m not at the unit, nor will I be as I have my boy and i’m enjoying a day off as i’ve been flat out with prep all week. He claims to have spent 4 days looking at these particular cars, took time off work etc. I asked him why he hadn't found one yet and he said “cos they’ve all been rubbish” 

Have I missed a sale? Possibly. But equally I could have abandoned my plans, gone down to my unit only for him to have got stuck in traffic or changed his mind and even then, if he did arrive, maybe he would have found every chip and scratch to sigh about and maybe he would have arsed about and squabbled over the price or maybe he is a serial car tester. Who knows. All I know is I haven’t lost a sale, i’ve missed an opportunity to sell but at what cost? As I said life’s too short. 

You're right, life is too short.

You mentioned your boy, and it's always extra frustrating when we change the kid's plans, for a sale. Even more so when it's a time waster. I think JB said he skipped his kids' karate lesson for a viewing that never showed.

Being self-employed can be all-consuming, and you're right, life is too short, and there has to be a balance. In slow times it's easy to lose sight of that though.

54 minutes ago, Tom said:

Neither  of those are your fault, if someone really wants a car they will come another day, as those did not come back they probably wouldn't of bought any way 

This week has been good for us in a strange up and down month. 

You're right, Tom. You just never know if people get offended. But who wants those kind of customers anyway?

Only done 8. Would have been nine (Clio moron who I decided not to let him buy). 

Quiet times happen. Never makes it any easier though no matter how long you’ve been doing it. The months aren’t long enough. 

1 hour ago, NOACROSS said:

Only done 8. Would have been nine (Clio moron who I decided not to let him buy). 

Quiet times happen. Never makes it any easier though no matter how long you’ve been doing it. The months aren’t long enough. 

I would possibly stab someone to do 8 in a month (and to consider that a quiet month). But then I don't have your stock level or overheads.

3 hours ago, EPV said:

LIKE. 

Plodding along over here, not great, but seen a lot worse in recent times, so I'll take it

I'm only on 4 sold for the month, worst month ever but I couldn't care a bit.

I have some decent stock and come Thusday night, I am away for about 10 days.

Bought another boat for our holiday (another one yesterday, not the one I bought a few weeks ago) and am going to be busy sorting that out this week, changing for a bigger fuel tank,mop and polish, fit the new canvass and chart plotter etc.  You watch the phone ring off the hook, so I don't get a minute plus it is currently in the unit blocking all the stock in, so someone is bound to want whatever is tucked in the corner.

It’s always nice to cover the overhead( however big that may be) by, say 20th of each month, then anything else is for us. I’ve no chance this month, but pissed it last month! 

In all last 6 months only 2 show profit. Previous 6 months all profit! 

I think it must be tough at the minute. 

• Like 1

It’s months like this I’m glad I have another business to back me up. Sold one so far and not even any calls or viewings on the others, oh apart from one guy that rang me on a Tuesday evening trying to make me promise not to sell it to anyone else as he couldn’t view until the following afternoon. I’m definitely coming he said, I’m not a time waster he also said. Guess what? Never showed up.

Edited by Lakeside

On 11 so far.. With an AT average at 9, I can't get them listed quick enough  :)

Edited by Arfur Dealy
  • Like 1

On 23/06/2019 at 10:28 AM, EPV said:

This is spot on. It has always been feast or famine in this job but as long as the sales come it doesn’t matter when or where from. 

I also enjoy the odd quiet week, I can get out on the golf course without the Mrs chewing my ear off! 

Edited by James01