Sign in to follow this  
SouthernTrader

Alloy wheel colour

Hi guys,

Ive got a BMW 1 series that I’m looking to make stand out a little by having the alloys refurbished and painted a different colour from the standard silver.

I remember reading a thread a while back where someone put up pictures of an Audi or BMW where they’d had them done in a darker grey colour.

anyone able to point me in the right direction of the thread of any examples of ones you’ve had done with success before? I can’t seem to find the thread

Cheers

What colour is the car? And if you're looking for the BMW colour, it's Ferric Grey. That's the one you want.

That’s the thread. The car is a silver 1 series with bog standard silver 5 spoke bmw alloys. I was thinking a nice dark grey refurb would make the car stand out from the crowd.

Thanks @EPV just googled and the Ferric Grey does look very nice particularly on darker cars. My fault for buying a silver one

@Nick M.K. I've got to ask, I know you edit your photos, has anyone ever come up and said the car doesn't look as good as in the photos? Because your cars look like showroom condition.

44 minutes ago, tradegirl said:

I know you edit your photos, has anyone ever come up and said the car doesn't look as good as in the photos? Because your cars look like showroom condition.

Yes, every now and then a customer will point to a tiny scratch on a sill or a chip in a windscreen or just say something like "It looked a million dollars in your photos". 

I'll tell them something like "It still looks fantastic and it will look a million dollars on someone's driveway after they've personally spent good 3-4 hours to clean, polish and seal it again like I did a couple of weeks ago just before taking the photos in a nice spot from the right angles at the best time of day with a bit of cloud cover" :-)

6 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Nik, is this one of yours........

On my photos the parking sign in the background would've been "digitally removed". 

If you had THESE wheels on your pink Fiat 500 your phones would've melted :-))) 

7 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

On my photos the parking sign in the background would've been "digitally removed". 

If you had THESE wheels on your pink Fiat 500 your phones would've melted :-))) 

But..... I think PINK on Pink would of clashed......

Edited by Arfur Dealy

50 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

Yes, every now and then a customer will point to a tiny scratch on a sill or a chip in a windscreen or just say something like "It looked a million dollars in your photos". 

I'll tell them something like "It still looks fantastic and it will look a million dollars on someone's driveway after they've personally spent good 3-4 hours to clean, polish and seal it again like I did a couple of weeks ago just before taking the photos in a nice spot from the right angles at the best time of day with a bit of cloud cover" :-)

Nice response :)

I assume you use a polisher or by hand? Wish I knew how to do that. Tried it on a black A Class by hand with Meguiar's Ultimate Polish. Thought it looked great. The following morning it rained, and all these white pasty patches came up on the car, which I had to wipe hard with a chammy to get off. 

Got a 120d with Ferric Grey alloys. Had them refurbished (SMART repair)

24 hours later used Autoglym Magma and it's left white spots on them, that almost feel raised. Any ideas? I've used Magma before even on refurbished diamond cut alloys and never had any problems.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, tradex said:

As a smart repair did they finish with a laquer coat, or basecoat n laquer combined, seen this done before? 

...I've always found that smart repair paint to be far more delicate than normal paint, I wonder if it flashes off quicker? 

....if all else fails try flicking a coat of silicon on the wheels, be careful not to get too much on the discs though. 

Thanks Tradex. I don't know how they finished it. Pretty gutted though.

Will try that and see, otherwise it's another £70 lol. Hey ho.

• Sad 1