Andy0

Cap black book

3 minutes ago, EPV said:

Ah ok. You’re selling end of life bangers from home. I can see why that would need to be part time. 

We all started somewhere and we all have the option to go back there... sometimes it looks very appealing but there's a reason we changed.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mojo121 said:

We all started somewhere and we all have the option to go back there... sometimes it looks very appealing but there's a reason we changed.

Agreed but I personally have always done the job right and covered my arse. New service, new MOT, PDI and a proper margin. Even when I started out. Buying a car, washing it and putting it up for sale without even having a test done is asking for trouble in my opinion but each to their own. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EPV said:

Agreed but I personally have always done the job right and covered my arse. New service, new MOT, PDI and a proper margin. Even when I started out. Buying a car, washing it and putting it up for sale without even having a test done is asking for trouble in my opinion but each to their own. 

Occasionally if the punter wants a heavy discount or to take it the same day and I want the sale (overage/ unpopular) the MOT can be a negotiating point. PDI, Service, MOT etc are important as normal matter of course I agree. 

There's a chap near me who's knocking out three at a time across his driveway. I've no problem with it apart from the fact he leaves the BCA yellow sticker and barcode on full display. Really makes my blood boil.

1 hour ago, Hargy said:

Sorry. Where did I say I don’t pay taxes. I pay tax on my job and pay tax on the cars I sell. I keep records for everything I do  I’m not ducking anything. 

I don’t have overheads like premises, staff, advertising but I do pay my dues

I don’t buy at auction. The £1000 was the total amount paid from a dealer as a trade in he took. I didn’t have to put a spanner on it. It was sold with 6 months MOT. I’m not VAT registered so what I pay to HMRC is £160. This is a part time role I do so I’m happy

wowsers keep your knickers on, i never said or implied you didnt pay taxes, and i note from your below post your not vat registered so i stand by my comment lucky you.

These kind of posts are what keeps me in the locked forums these days.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hargy said:

I bought 09 Fiesta 1.4diesel 129k but great condition last week. Spent 2 hours cleaning and polishing it. Advertised it at 12pm. Sold it at 2pm. Bought @ 1000 sold @ 1800 so I’m happy with that. I’ve limited space so like to move them quick. 

Have a few at near retail price (Kuga, C Max, C Class  Merc and cant shift them. I’ve dropped price 3 times and it then looks desperate. 

VAT threshold is getting very near then , not many Fiestas Kugas C maxs & Mercs to get to £85 k  Turnover , then your world changes . You have to think like a Business not a little hobby  . 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, EPV said:

Ah ok. You’re selling end of life bangers from home. I can see why that would need to be part time. 

5 hours ago, David Horgan said:

VAT threshold is getting very near then , not many Fiestas Kugas C maxs & Mercs to get to £85 k  Turnover , then your world changes . You have to think like a Business not a little hobby  . 

Yes I’m aware of the threshold. I don’t intend going over it at all as that’ll cost me 17% on top of the 20% to HMRC. 

im happy selling 2-3cars a month and keep things simple. 

I did consider doing this on a bigger scale but then I’d have the pressure of having to sell to make a living. This way i can enjoy it as a sideline and not a necessity 

6 hours ago, EPV said:

Yes mate if that’s the way you want to put it. I’m sorry I don’t have a few wee Ferrari’s sitting out the front but hey I get by. The people I sell to are happy with what I offer and I’m always straight with them. 

12 minutes ago, Hargy said:

Yes I’m aware of the threshold. I don’t intend going over it at all as that’ll cost me 17% on top of the 20% to HMRC. 

im happy selling 2-3cars a month and keep things simple. 

I did consider doing this on a bigger scale but then I’d have the pressure of having to sell to make a living. This way i can enjoy it as a sideline and not a necessity 

Yes mate if that’s the way you want to put it. I’m sorry I don’t have a few wee Ferrari’s sitting out the front but hey I get by. The people I sell to are happy with what I offer and I’m always straight with them. 

Good for you mate, nice hobby you have.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mojo121 said:

Occasionally if the punter wants a heavy discount or to take it the same day and I want the sale (overage/ unpopular) the MOT can be a negotiating point. PDI, Service, MOT etc are important as normal matter of course I agree. 

There's a chap near me who's knocking out three at a time across his driveway. I've no problem with it apart from the fact he leaves the BCA yellow sticker and barcode on full display. Really makes my blood boil.

I live in Northern Ireland so MOTs have to be done by Govt agencies only. We can’t take a car to a garage to get it done. Whatever test is on the car when I get it is what goes to the customer unless it’s below 2 months. I test drive every single car I buy and they are thoroughly checked over so nothing is left to chance. 

I also offer 3rd party warranty if they wish to purchase it. I only advertise on Gumtree or Facebook one car at a time so no advertising charges worth talking about. I source,buy,check,clean & valet, market & advertise & sell them all myself so no wages to pay. 

2 minutes ago, EPV said:

Good for you mate, nice hobby you have.

Works for me mate. I love doing it. If I had to depend on it the pleasure would soon disappear. I only get doing it on a Saturday so that’s my way of going mad lol