Andy0

Cap black book

Hi all. 

I’m getting back into home dealing after a 10 year break. 

I used to buy copies of cap black book on eBay every few months. I don’t turn over enough to justify a new one every month (never did really, but used to subscribe.)

do they not do physical copies anymore?

whats my options? Glass’ from the newsagents?? :(

Work retail backwards

or find similar enough on BCA catalogues

13 hours ago, Andy0 said:

Hi all. 

I’m getting back into home dealing after a 10 year break. 

I used to buy copies of cap black book on eBay every few months. I don’t turn over enough to justify a new one every month (never did really, but used to subscribe.)

do they not do physical copies anymore?

whats my options? Glass’ from the newsagents?? :(

Parkers is what I buy usually from WH smith in train stations, its where all the best dealers get their guides from.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rory RSC said:

Parkers is what I buy usually from WH smith in train stations, its where all the best dealers get their guides from.

Nah!

My mate down the pub knows best.

I use Autotrader part exchange and private sell rates. Always gets a good enough margin

4 hours ago, Hargy said:

I use Autotrader part exchange and private sell rates. Always gets a good enough margin

Why would you sell a retail car at private rates?

1 hour ago, SouthernTrader said:

Bit of as whooshing sound just above your head I'd wager

1 minute ago, EPV said:

Bit of as whooshing sound just above your head I'd wager

Possibly EPV! I recognised most of the responses were taking the mick but I read that as a genuine response. 

I usually see what a similar car retails at on Autotrader and pay exactly that figure at BCA (plus the fees of course) :wacko:

Edited by Brunswick
  • Like 1

If you don't work retail back , your going backwards .

If you believe the trade rags , your going backwards .

If you don't add enough profit your going backwards . 

If you buy Parkers you need to find work elsewhere . 

18 minutes ago, David Horgan said:

If you don't work retail back , your going backwards .

If you believe the trade rags , your going backwards .

If you don't add enough profit your going backwards . 

If you buy Parkers you need to find work elsewhere . 

Bang on

got a pile of old cap & glass guides here if you want them, 20 years worth, they might be out of date though.....

Has anyone ever signed up to WBAC for paid for valuations?

Not sure how much they charge.

1 hour ago, friar said:

Has anyone ever signed up to WBAC for paid for valuations?

Not sure how much they charge.

Why pay them ? 

On 18/06/2019 at 2:46 PM, SouthernTrader said:

Sorry mate only read your post now. I operate from home and don’t have all the dealer facilities like finance etc. So if I can sell at private or slightly above it I’m happy with the margin   I know it doesn’t pay big overheads but I don’t have many. I can hear the booing and hissing now

8 hours ago, Hargy said:

Sorry mate only read your post now. I operate from home and don’t have all the dealer facilities like finance etc. So if I can sell at private or slightly above it I’m happy with the margin   I know it doesn’t pay big overheads but I don’t have many. I can hear the booing and hissing now

@Hargy If you are doing the job right and preparing the cars to a good standard then I think you are under-selling yourself and losing out on profit by doing that, why not try asking for more you can always drop the price? If it’s cheapies I guess the difference isn’t so great.

@EPV No whooshing noise after all! ;)

I bought 09 Fiesta 1.4diesel 129k but great condition last week. Spent 2 hours cleaning and polishing it. Advertised it at 12pm. Sold it at 2pm. Bought @ 1000 sold @ 1800 so I’m happy with that. I’ve limited space so like to move them quick. 

Have a few at near retail price (Kuga, C Max, C Class  Merc and cant shift them. I’ve dropped price 3 times and it then looks desperate. 

23 minutes ago, Hargy said:

I bought 09 Fiesta 1.4diesel 129k but great condition last week. Spent 2 hours cleaning and polishing it. Advertised it at 12pm. Sold it at 2pm. Bought @ 1000 sold @ 1800 so I’m happy with that. I’ve limited space so like to move them quick. 

Have a few at near retail price (Kuga, C Max, C Class  Merc and cant shift them. I’ve dropped price 3 times and it then looks desperate. 

Lucky you being able to make a profit and keeping a profit, not having to share it with the revenue like the rest of us poor sods.  

38 minutes ago, Hargy said:

So i’m assuming the £1000 includes the auction house fees, if so, your VAT liability on that is around £200. Corporation tax or self assessment tax around £160. Advertising costs about £50, a new MOT £50. So around £460. Leaving you with about £340 nett. You’re one set of pads and discs away from working for nothing. 

Good luck with that. 

17 minutes ago, justina3 said:

Lucky you being able to make a profit and keeping a profit, not having to share it with the revenue like the rest of us poor sods.  

Sorry. Where did I say I don’t pay taxes. I pay tax on my job and pay tax on the cars I sell. I keep records for everything I do  I’m not ducking anything. 

I don’t have overheads like premises, staff, advertising but I do pay my dues

2 minutes ago, EPV said:

So i’m assuming the £1000 includes the auction house fees, if so, your VAT liability on that is around £200. Corporation tax or self assessment tax around £160. Advertising costs about £50, a new MOT £50. So around £460. Leaving you with about £340 nett. You’re one set of pads and discs away from working for nothing. 

Good luck with that. 

I don’t buy at auction. The £1000 was the total amount paid from a dealer as a trade in he took. I didn’t have to put a spanner on it. It was sold with 6 months MOT. I’m not VAT registered so what I pay to HMRC is £160. This is a part time role I do so I’m happy

4 minutes ago, Hargy said:

Sorry. Where did I say I don’t pay taxes. I pay tax on my job and pay tax on the cars I sell. I keep records for everything I do  I’m not ducking anything. 

I don’t have overheads like premises, staff, advertising but I do pay my dues

I don’t buy at auction. The £1000 was the total amount paid from a dealer as a trade in he took. I didn’t have to put a spanner on it. It was sold with 6 months MOT. I’m not VAT registered so what I pay to HMRC is £160. This is a part time role I do so I’m happy

Ah ok. You’re selling end of life bangers from home. I can see why that would need to be part time.