Wheelerdealer1

Closing down my business, sad day

I also think it should be made harder for people to buy from car auctions keeping it TRADE only. I see loads of the bandit traders at the auction house you can spot them a mile away. Unless you are a VAT REGISTERED TRADER you should not be allowed to buy a car at an auction in my opinion, not only to stop the bandit traders but also to stop a private buyer getting an unsafe car that has been unchecked and "sold as seen" quite legally. I still dont see how this can be allowed these days. 

I couldn't agree more, BCA and the like need to be brought bang to rights on this, or at the very least limited a private buyer to one car, at the moment you see these guys buying 5 or 6 in a go and then lining them up in the car park to be illegally driven home later that night.

ok so the stickers isnt the best all round solution but it's a start isn't it ? Gets the attention to the problem we need !

And yes all traders need to start somewhere but if you decide to be a trader I'm sorry but you need to start with premises, vat, insurance, trade plates, and some sort of accountability somewhere, tell me another public facing business taking thousands of pounds from the public that isn't hard to start ? 

Edited by Wheelerdealer1

The truth is you don't need premises, VAT, trade plates etc, insurance is a legal issue and is covered by existing laws, trading standards covers the quality of the vehicle. The issue is twofold that there is very little will to enforce the law and you can't stop stupid people from being stupid when it comes to vehicle's if it moves forward and backward that's all they care about. 

Would it be that hard for the police to organise a 'sting' operation with Trading Standards and VOSA outside an auction on a general sale day? Have they? The fact they haven't shows how much they care about the issue. 

• Like 1

Quite often at bca manchester on sale days they do have vosa, dvla etc waiting but all that happens is legit people pass through and the undesirables leave the vehicles on site and pay the storage charges and come back another day for it. 

I think its a little bit naiive to expect the auction houses to adopt a trade only position when they are making an "absolute fortune" out of those buying as private buiyers! And if they did, who would take up the slack, just watch the buyers premiums go through the roof.

My young nephew has just started out as a plumber and spends an absolute fortune every year being "accredited" for this and "accredited" for that "Corgi" this and "Corgi" that, its all BS. Fact of the matter is,  you are going to ask for help from the great minds that gave us "the scrappage scheme" come on! I can guarantee that in 5yrs time you will all be on here moaning about having to pay £600 a year for a tin plate to put outside your house that says you can sell cars?

• Like 1

I think its a little bit naiive to expect the auction houses to adopt a trade only position when they are making an "absolute fortune" out of those buying as private buiyers! And if they did, who would take up the slack, just watch the buyers premiums go through the roof.

My young nephew has just started out as a plumber and spends an absolute fortune every year being "accredited" for this and "accredited" for that "Corgi" this and "Corgi" that, its all BS. Fact of the matter is,  you are going to ask for help from the great minds that gave us "the scrappage scheme" come on! I can guarantee that in 5yrs time you will all be on here moaning about having to pay £600 a year for a tin plate to put outside your house that says you can sell cars?

I still dont see how they can sell a car on "trade terms" ie "sold as seen" to a private buyer. If i started selling cars out of my place as trade sales to the general public i would be shut down surely.

• Like 1

Yes you would be, and to be honest if I had to pay a few £100s to get become an accredited trader I would, if that meant Del Boy down the road is taken out of the picture 

• Like 1

The online auctions are trade only and as far as i know you must be VAT registered to be a member. Why cant the physical auctions be made to operate like this. I just dont get in this day and age with all the soga rules etc how a private individual can go to a "trade" auction and buy a car. 

Just found out today that an opo of mine who's been in the job for years is closing down next week, really nice bloke would help anyone, but he says he just can't get the stock due to increased prices and ever decreasing margins. Sad day. How big do the big need to get and how much control on us small boys do they really need. 

Just found out today that an opo of mine who's been in the job for years is closing down next week, really nice bloke would help anyone, but he says he just can't get the stock due to increased prices and ever decreasing margins. Sad day. How big do the big need to get and how much control on us small boys do they really need. 

Just out of interest, what sort of stuff does he stock?

He's a van man, would stock anything from £1500 to £10000, used to see him at the block quite regularly until recently when he commented that they where making more money than he's got similar stuff on the pitch advertised for.

this months like pulling teeth seems to be getting worse not better, most of my sales these last 2 months have been distress purchases too due to customers unforeseen circumstances like rear ending the local bin wagon with their normal car :lol:

He's a van man, would stock anything from £1500 to £10000, used to see him at the block quite regularly until recently when he commented that they where making more money than he's got similar stuff on the pitch advertised for.

I must admit, whenever I've watched a few van sales trying to buy a kangoo I'm amazed at what stuff makes. Who the hell is buying it? 

I know of a few big outfits who have an attitude when buying that they will keep bidding to get the stock just to make sure they have it to sell and not their competitors. I've watched poor condition vans make £1000 over book before now. 

Just had a nice chat with the bca partner finance rep about the job in general and he commented about how his dealers who would normally have 40 cars on a stocking plan are now only having a couple as they refuse to pay the dear prices of stock from the block and he knows of at least half a dozen small independents who've been in the  job a long time who have now decided to pack in as they just can't compete with being wedged between the big boys and the roadside sellers. Such a shame all that knowledge gathered over many years in the job now going to waste. 

Just had a nice chat with the bca partner finance rep about the job in general and he commented about how his dealers who would normally have 40 cars on a stocking plan are now only having a couple as they refuse to pay the dear prices of stock from the block and he knows of at least half a dozen small independents who've been in the  job a long time who have now decided to pack in as they just can't compete with being wedged between the big boys and the roadside sellers. Such a shame all that knowledge gathered over many years in the job now going to waste. 

To be fair, I do think there is still some value to be had from the block, certainly in the car job anyway. Ok, it means trawling through catalogue after catalogue, sitting through  sale after  sale, having a large stress ball sat on your desk and many an 'awaiting preparation'  sticker to hand, but with BCA and Manheim having 20000 units on their books surely there has to be some profit out there to be had.

If anything the bigger outfits can swallow the cut in bottom line now, but for how long I wonder ? I think changes are on the way, what changes exactly I'm not sure !

• Like 1