On 5/7/2019 at 11:39 AM, Rory RSC said:

I usually work to Autotraders suggested profit margin of £150 / £200 per car. Anything else is just greedy to be honest.

:lol:

1 hour ago, Blenheim Car Sales said:

and yet all customers think you still have £2000 margin to allow for there £1000 discount on a £5000-6000 car

An old neighbour of ours used to think if she saw a car with sold on my site we had that whole amount to spend, she just could not understand we only got a small perecentage, most employed people I know do not understand the difference between margin and profit.

• Like 1

/\ /\ /\ agreed :)

Also ................

I cannot believe the number of numpties that are selling Cars these days, and do not realise that the only way to buy a Car for resale is to work backwards from (a sensible) amount that you can Retail it for.

No wonder there are so many noobs on here moaning that they are not getting decent profits.

Edited by Dave2302
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, justina3 said:

I dont work that way happy to be a numptie though.

:lol:

I was really referring to noobie numpties, but as usual I engaged type before brain :rolleyes:

What I was trying to say was that retail back is a good way of learning without too many fuck ups.

I'm fairly sure you have been in this game long enough now to know what you are prepared to pay for a given Automobile, my 43 year apprenticeship can do the math off the cuff without looking at retails, but if it's something oddball, I'll refer to what I think it'll retail for and work back ;)

Like my recent 2007 Doblo Wheelchair Wagon, non runner that I flipped recently. When the owner offered it me I didn't have a clue, but 10 minutes and it was sussed out ;)

It did help that I knew exactly who would buy it once I'd sorted it and prepped it, ;) and they did :D

Basically I wanna nick the "whatever" off it's seller or I can't be arsed, comes back to what I've said before about busy fool syndrome lol :D 

Edited by Dave2302
  • Like 1

On 10/05/2019 at 10:36 AM, Screenman said:

most employed people I know do not understand the difference between margin and profit.

+1. If you’ve got a tyre kicker and/or they then try to kick you in the nuts over money they’ll be PAYE.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BHM said:

+1. If you’ve got a tyre kicker and/or they then try to kick you in the nuts over money they’ll be PAYE.

Agreed on this thought set . 

On 10/05/2019 at 10:36 AM, Screenman said:

An annoying relative  of ours used to think if she saw a car with sold on my site we had that whole amount to spend, she just could not understand we only got a small perecentage, most employed people I know do not understand the difference between margin and profit , "some of them even if they are in business" .

Only one sensible answer to profits isn't there 

As much as possible is the truthful answer .

More on some and less on others is the blinding truth , 

If you get the calculator out , pye charts , graphs and all the rest of the calculations regarding % this and % that , you are doomed I say doomed :(

****eg ******Golf TSI in the block other day , Needed two bumpers painting , 4 tyres , three wheel refurbs , BCA  assured pointed to manifold problem and it rattled on start up , Needs chain then .

Retail it would fetch £8295 tops at age and mileage .

Spend if you do it yourself , is around £600 /£900 depending on what sort of tyres needed ,

Made £7250 OUCH , + fees and report out the door say £7600 ish  

Assume the wheels are not going to be done:( , 2 month MOT left :rolleyes: lets leave that , Switch EML light off "await warranty call " as going to deny manifold and chain was faulty  :ph34r:and Paint is done £200 if cheap   :huh: Tyres have no choice as 2mm only So £200, still makes it £8,000 on the showroom floor + advert , +valet , as a min that takes £200 which now makes £8200 and still a mess really plus it needs chain and manifold :( . saw it up at £8495 

Now thats two months ago , still for sale , but now its £7595 , clearly this so called trader has forgotten what he paid or it . 

****Another last week ***.

Megane , local guy to us paid £16,500 on hammer plus fees , needed MOT , Service and new tyres 3mm rear 1mm front , Its on sale at £17,295 , I wanted to sell it at £16,495 and that was on the high side really plus I like to earn money out of it ,so shows what he paid over book for the bloody thing . Then tries to gross about £300 out of it . Be £99 left after Advert , MOT , VAT , and a wash :o

Funny trade at present 

• Like 1

I find it interesting how little some dealers make margin wise out of the base sale without supells.

^This. My guess is that finance makes up a big amount for some of the larger used operations? 

When the core product stops being the profit driver then its a dangerous business model to my mind.

I won’t buy a car unless it has £1500 margin in it minus any prep costs, unless it needs loads of work and I just don’t even bother these days with that sort of stuff.

if I clear £1000 minus any vat then I’m over the moon

• Like 1

5 hours ago, David Horgan said:

Megane , local guy to us paid £16,500 on hammer plus fees , needed MOT , Service and new tyres 3mm rear 1mm front , Its on sale at £17,295 , I wanted to sell it at £16,495 and that was on the high side really plus I like to earn money out of it ,so shows what he paid over book for the bloody thing . Then tries to gross about £300 out of it . Be £99 left after Advert , MOT , VAT , and a wash :o

Funny trade at present 

Presumably an RS ? 

There never seems to be any margin left in them at auction

3 minutes ago, twerp said:

Presumably an RS ? 

probably all about kudos and having it on the pitch

they will probably smoke it for a week too

these guys really are in the wrong business but hey ho:lol:

• Like 2

13 hours ago, twerp said:

Presumably an RS ? 

RS it was , I still cant understand the no profit thing though , 

13 hours ago, jason doyle motor sales said:

these guys really are in the wrong business but hey ho:lol:

That's for sure , 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, premi-motor said:

...Whatever you make has to be worth your outlay, effort and risk.

i see the

the  Going: is Good to Soft (Good in places) at beverley races  this afternoon,now i want to back the sure fire winner so what is the nags name please,PM it if you prefer :lol:

6 minutes ago, jason doyle motor sales said:

i see the

the  Going: is Good to Soft (Good in places) at beverley races  this afternoon,now i want to back the sure fire winner so what is the nags name please,PM it if you prefer :lol:

Having studied the form, I'd avoid Petrol320i as known to fall at the first hurdle, and there's no getting back up from this! Jagg-XF is prone to random issues and becomes twitchy when chased by Gremlins - As for RangeySport, it's looking in fine form although usually under the surface there's usually a good few problems.... Defo a few to avoid if you ask me :lol:...

Hope you pick a winner...!!!!

I definitely know your pain there, mate. I've never had a good past with any landlord in my past. I moved a while back into Washington and I was renting a place there, had a job as a welder in a nearby factory, all was brilliant. I won't go into too much detail but I and my landlord had a bit of a conflict... So I got kicked out, I didn't want anything to do with him. At the time I just wanted to go to my mate's house with all my things, he wasn't in town but he gave me a copy of his key a while back. (we are close and good friends) so I had a look and decided on renting a car at Enterprise car rental DCA which was a lifesaver. I was lucky at the time I got into a hot deal, slightly lower price. Later found out that they have way more special deals. I was glad that I came across their service. Whenever I will be in need of transport for the day I can always book a car online. Such a shame that I wasted so much money on other services that were trying to rip me off my money. All of that is in the past now, I am happy with what I got.

Saber - Do you spout such crap all day long? Or are you ill?

19 minutes ago, Saber said:

I definitely know your pain there, mate. I've never had a good past with any landlord in my past. I moved a while back into Washington and I was renting a place there, had a job as a welder in a nearby factory, all was brilliant. I won't go into too much detail but I and my landlord had a bit of a conflict... So I got kicked out, I didn't want anything to do with him. At the time I just wanted to go to my mate's house with all my things, he wasn't in town but he gave me a copy of his key a while back. (we are close and good friends) so I had a look and decided on renting a car at Enterprise car rental DCA which was a lifesaver. I was lucky at the time I got into a hot deal, slightly lower price. Later found out that they have way more special deals. I was glad that I came across their service. Whenever I will be in need of transport for the day I can always book a car online. Such a shame that I wasted so much money on other services that were trying to rip me off my money. All of that is in the past now, I am happy with what I got.

What !

Basically I think he was doing his landlord and his mate, but other than that not a friggin clue.

27 minutes ago, jason doyle motor sales said:

i reckon its good shit hes taking:D

More like good shite hes talking.

I'm getting really pissed off with the amount of three post wankers on here lately.