Lazz

Lawgistics Warranty

Just wondering if many of you are using their self administered warranties as i am think of starting to use their booklets and i am not sure if to go down the self administer route and let them take the calls or if i might as well take the calls myself as i would prefer everything to come back to me for any repairs being a trusting sole and all that.

Unless there is an alternative out there that i can't find on the internet.

Yes, definitely deal with anything yourself !!

Always RTB

Edited by Dave2302
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Lazz said:

Just wondering if many of you are using their self administered warranties as i am think of starting to use their booklets and i am not sure if to go down the self administer route and let them take the calls or if i might as well take the calls myself as i would prefer everything to come back to me for any repairs being a trusting sole and all that.

A1 Approved - £20+VAT per warranty.  Your pot, they administer and always ask you where you want the car to go before starting work.

I hold my pot but I give them and maintain a £500 float so they can pay on my behalf.  You can give them it all, part or hold it all yourself.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lazz said:

Hi Lazz,

The fact you mentioned our warranty booklets caught my eye... I don’t like to get involved in selling the product and that is certainly taboo on a forum, however your dilemma ‘run it myself or get someone to administer it’ interested me.

I have not answered that question for a long time, and I think the answer is simple.

If you are mechanically/technically trained, have your own workshop and sell the majority of vehicles locally, run them yourself... you will be wasting your money on administration.

You will find most customers will always contact you in the first instance and if you are one of those people that just can’t help but get involved... again, run them yourself.

However, if you do not have ‘the knowledge’ and you just sell cars, certainly consider the outsourcing the administration.

Also, if you have the knowledge but just don’t want to deal with warranty issues go administered.

And finally, if you are selling cars far and wide, unless you have access to a network of garages, administration would be a good choice.

With the Lawgistics solution you can mix it up, so run your local cars with our standard booklets and the cars at a distance on the administered booklets.

Reference ‘pot’ schemes, we advise you avoid holding large amounts of money in other people’s accounts... most companies can offer you alternative ways of paying for work carried out. The money is safer in your bank!

OTHER POINTS TO CONSIDER

Choose a warranty administrator that understands your liabilities and can give sound advice in awkward situations. Your warranty will only be as good as your warranty administrator. It would be sad to see a good warranty let down by a poor administration service.

Check that the warranty administrator and their warranty booklets comply with the The Consumer Rights Act 2015, The Consumer Contract (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013 and the FCA regulations.

Make sure they have a 24/7 claims helpline and administration service. If they can only answer your customers' queries 9-5 Monday to Friday, you could find you are administering your own warranties while paying someone else to do it.

Your warranty administrator should also have access to technical advice and a good relationship with a reputable network of service and repair garages.

Hope this helps.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Mark101 said:

A1 Approved - £20+VAT per warranty.  Your pot, they administer and always ask you where you want the car to go before starting work.

+1

18 hours ago, LawJaw said:

Hi Lazz,

The fact you mentioned our warranty booklets caught my eye... I don’t like to get involved in selling the product and that is certainly taboo on a forum, however your dilemma ‘run it myself or get someone to administer it’ interested me.

I have not answered that question for a long time, and I think the answer is simple.

If you are mechanically/technically trained, have your own workshop and sell the majority of vehicles locally, run them yourself... you will be wasting your money on administration.

You will find most customers will always contact you in the first instance and if you are one of those people that just can’t help but get involved... again, run them yourself.

However, if you do not have ‘the knowledge’ and you just sell cars, certainly consider the outsourcing the administration.

Also, if you have the knowledge but just don’t want to deal with warranty issues go administered.

And finally, if you are selling cars far and wide, unless you have access to a network of garages, administration would be a good choice.

With the Lawgistics solution you can mix it up, so run your local cars with our standard booklets and the cars at a distance on the administered booklets.

Reference ‘pot’ schemes, we advise you avoid holding large amounts of money in other people’s accounts... most companies can offer you alternative ways of paying for work carried out. The money is safer in your bank!

OTHER POINTS TO CONSIDER

Choose a warranty administrator that understands your liabilities and can give sound advice in awkward situations. Your warranty will only be as good as your warranty administrator. It would be sad to see a good warranty let down by a poor administration service.

Check that the warranty administrator and their warranty booklets comply with the The Consumer Rights Act 2015, The Consumer Contract (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013 and the FCA regulations.

Make sure they have a 24/7 claims helpline and administration service. If they can only answer your customers' queries 9-5 Monday to Friday, you could find you are administering your own warranties while paying someone else to do it.

Your warranty administrator should also have access to technical advice and a good relationship with a reputable network of service and repair garages.

Hope this helps.

what an absolutely excellent post

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the input, just that many moons ago i used a company that used to administer warranties for me and you just used to just keep paying in, into there account every time you processed a warranty, you could draw it down if you wanted which i did once a year, i never had a problem with them but it always concerned me that if they went bust it was properly the last i would see of my money and would properly be more comfortable now with it siting in one of my accounts.

I’ve gone with Lawgistics administered warranties, only pay £15 per warranty registered and keep my own pot aside for any issues. You can choose how lawgistics administer your warranties; where customer can take the cars, how much approval level to give Lawgistics etc. To stay in control, I’ve opted to have Lawgistics contact me to approve any spend for now.

On 5/1/2019 at 6:26 PM, Mark101 said:

I hold my pot but I give them and maintain a £500 float so they can pay on my behalf.  You can give them it all, part or hold it all yourself.

On 5/1/2019 at 5:22 PM, Mark101 said:

I think this is interesting, as I guess you are paying 20 per car for someone else to take the call, but the liability is still yours? I pay £55 plus VAT for  3 Month warranty. Horses for courses.

32 minutes ago, MattR said:

I think this is interesting, as I guess you are paying 20 per car for someone else to take the call, but the liability is still yours? I pay £55 plus VAT for  3 Month warranty. Horses for courses.

Can you elaborate Matt?

What cover does this provide, is that a fixed fee per vehicle regardless of age, mileage, engine size etc.

Who's that with?

2 hours ago, Mark101 said:

Can you elaborate Matt?

What cover does this provide, is that a fixed fee per vehicle regardless of age, mileage, engine size etc.

Who's that with?

yes, i can! VGS Warranty, 4 star cover, cars up to 12 years, 120k, costs more for a 4x4 but thats the only limitiation (but then I dont sell fancy stuff, so would imagine a 5 litre bmw would be double too).

£500 claim limit per claim, multiple claims permitted during the warranty period. 

Ive been with them for 7 years and had the same rep for that period too, which helps with grey area claims. I've had a number of 'goodwill gesture' claims paid out too. I think it helps that I put a warranty on all retail cars that I sell - I dont pick and choose which I warrant and then ask them to warrant the potential duffers. 

I'm sure they are 'up' over the last 7 years but I do get my moneys worth in peace of mind and if its only £35 per car more than self warranting thats only one decent claim a month and I'm up.

If you want a bit more info mark, PM me

• Like 1

I’ve used WMS (safe and sound) for many years. Only because the rep. (Peter) is awesome and ‘one of us’. I was with him when he was with the AA. 

However, I only use them if out of the area, German or odd ball /exotic now  

Same as MattR, they are definitely up over the years, but it’s been a good bit of peace of mind and if you don’t take the piss, they will look after you. 

Eventually though, you just use your own pot once you have it. 

Those using Lawgistics booklets, or in any case, their own pot and self administer, do you cover the same things a paid warranty would cover? Or do you pick and choose?

And do you NEED a warranty company? If say A1 or VGS or whoever, cover 30 different components on a car, could you not just cover the 30 components your self, and put even the £20+VAT off each car in a pot? (Since the pot is yours anyway)

Short of an engine or gearbox failure (or expensive injectors), is paying for warranties worth it?

Edited by tradegirl
  • Like 1

I cover far more than any warranty company will.

I just use A1 to administer it and they are pretty good at telling me whether someone is trying it on or not and great at located garages further afield.

Now, this week I have a Qashqai with a timing belt issue (apparently it has jumped?).  I have told the customer to contact A1 tomorrow and they will advise me if that is likely, possible or impossible. Either way, I am on the hook as it is only 2 weeks sold and I don't know of any warranty company that would cover that as the belt has not been changed (or there is no evidence of it).

It was an interseting conversation yesterday.  

Customer "garage reckon it will cost about £700 to fix."

Me "great, a little but less than changing the turbo on the PX Astra you stuffed me with"

Customer "I honestly didn't know"

Me "Of course"

:rolleyes:

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

I cover far more than any warranty company will.

I just use A1 to administer it and they are pretty good at telling me whether someone is trying it on or not and great at located garages further afield.

Now, this week I have a Qashqai with a timing belt issue (apparently it has jumped?).  I have told the customer to contact A1 tomorrow and they will advise me if that is likely, possible or impossible. Either way, I am on the hook as it is only 2 weeks sold and I don't know of any warranty company that would cover that as the belt has not been changed (or there is no evidence of it).

It was an interseting conversation yesterday.  

Customer "garage reckon it will cost about £700 to fix."

Me "great, a little but less than changing the turbo on the PX Astra you stuffed me with"

Customer "I honestly didn't know"

Me "Of course"

:rolleyes:

Ok I understand now thanks Mark. Mark, a question specific to you, as I know you stand by your cars, and if I've understood what you've said correctly.

If it's unlikely the belt has jumped, how do you approach it?

For your sake I hope you don't have to pay out for the Qashqai on top of the Astra. That's a painful double whammy...

7 minutes ago, tradegirl said:

Ok I understand now thanks Mark. Mark, a question specific to you, as I know you stand by your cars, and if I've understood what you've said correctly.

If it's unlikely the belt has jumped, how do you approach it?

For your sake I hope you don't have to pay out for the Qashqai on top of the Astra. That's a painful double whammy...

I consider it fair game (I am a trader and expect to be had over by some buyers) and I will always take the moral high ground.

I shall fix his Qashqai at my expense but I will not be able to resist mentioning the loss on the Astra PX (I hate Vauxhall).

If it is too expensive, I shall offer to unwind the deal, give him his heap back, fix and resell (at a loss).

My belief has and will always be the same - What goes around, comes around and over all, I will win and be appreciated by many future customers for being "one of the good guys."

Edited by Mark101
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

I consider it fair game (I am a trader and expect to be had over by some buyers) and I will always take the moral high ground.

I shall fix his Qashqai at my expense but I will not be able to resist mentioning the loss on the Astra PX (I hate Vauxhall).

If it is too expensive, I shall offer to unwind the deal, give him his heap back, fix and resell (at a loss).

My belief has and will always be the same - What goes around, comes around and over all, I will win and be appreciated by many future customers for being "one of the good guys."

Truer words...in this industry, be it traders, mechanics or bodyworkers, there's a lot to be said for recommendations and peace of mind (and the money you make from that peace of mind)

I hate Vauxhalls too.

I tried A1 on Mark101's recommendation, but wasn't called back after two people took messages for my area manager to contact me, and was concerned that the freefone number on their own website wasn't working as of about 3 weeks ago. Ended up going with Lawgistics self-administered as everything seems fairly self explanatory. 

I'm putting between 150 and 200 aside for each warranty and am leaving it in a separate business account for one year on a rolling basis.

1 hour ago, Axiom said:

I tried A1 on Mark101's recommendation, but wasn't called back after two people took messages for my area manager to contact me, and was concerned that the freefone number on their own website wasn't working as of about 3 weeks ago. Ended up going with Lawgistics self-administered as everything seems fairly self explanatory. 

I'm putting between 150 and 200 aside for each warranty and am leaving it in a separate business account for one year on a rolling basis.

So you are going to have thousand in the bank without using it for stock?

5 hours ago, MSP Motors said:

So you are going to have thousand in the bank without using it for stock?

yep

On 5/12/2019 at 8:54 AM, tradegirl said:

Those using Lawgistics booklets, or in any case, their own pot and self administer, do you cover the same things a paid warranty would cover? Or do you pick and choose?

And do you NEED a warranty company? If say A1 or VGS or whoever, cover 30 different components on a car, could you not just cover the 30 components your self, and put even the £20+VAT off each car in a pot? (Since the pot is yours anyway)

Short of an engine or gearbox failure (or expensive injectors), is paying for warranties worth it?

Is paying for warranties worth it?

Sadly, many used car warranties do not live up to the 'peace of mind' they first promised. And unfortunately, when your customer becomes dissatisfied with their warranty it reflects badly on you and your car sales business.

As a vehicle retailer you have Consumer Rights Act duties and the warranty, which should enhance basic customer rights, often has less customer rights than are automatically there when a vehicle is sold.

We talk to car dealers every week that view warranties as their ‘own protection’ and often turn customers with problems away, hiding behind the warranty and refusing a customer claim.

Your customers' legal rights cannot be restricted by the warranty and they can always potentially claim for compensation arising from the breakdown of a component that has failed. For instance, a failed timing belt often leads to a serious engine failure and a failed cylinder head gasket can lead to a 'cooked' engine. There may be a charge for recovery or vehicle hire and, in some cases, the consequential loss may extend to an overnight stay in a hotel.

Unfortunately, you could be liable for all of this and much more!

So, are warranties worth it?

Sell 100 quality used cars to 100 customers and include a six month warranty. 90% of your customers will probably never have an issue with the car. They will be pleased with their purchase and happy with the warranty.

However, the remaining 10% will probably have an issue and try to make a claim under the warranty.

The challenge is to make these 10 customers very happy with the warranty.

Warranty claims are all about customer issues. If a warranty claim is handled incorrectly the customers issue can quickly develop into a complaint.

If your warranty fails to deal with a customer’s issue then it is not worth the paper it is written on!

Of course, not every claim will be valid, and many customer demands can be unreasonable.

The warranty should offer an alternative solution and help your customer understand what is legally reasonable... which does not mean paying out on every claim.

Unfortunately making a claim under a warranty can be frustrating for a customer and feel like they are hitting a brick wall. With so many exclusions, terms and conditions the customer will have no other option but to call you (the supplying dealer).

If customers' issues are landing on your doorstep then your warranty is not worth the paper it is written on!

At Lawgistics we regard warranties as a defence mechanism not 'customer peace of mind'.

The customer has peace of mind under the Consumer Rights Act and the warranty simply provides a set of instructions on how to make a claim if there is a problem.

So, in theory, if the warranty deals with your customer issues successfully you should end up with 100% customer satisfaction.

It does not matter if you use insurance warranties, a pot scheme or your own booklets, if your warranty deals with your customer issues at a cost you are happy with, then it is worth every penny.

Edited by LawJaw
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, LawJaw said:

At Lawgistics we regard warranties as a defence mechanism not 'customer peace of mind'.

Me too

As you say an unhappy customer is one that is likely to take you to court therefore offering a warranty to reasonably cover eventualities that a court of law would find against the dealer it makes sense to offer the warranty but with reasonable exclusions

Its win win for the dealer if you self warrant because this way you can control the situation

I delivered a car 100 miles last week but the customer signed to say the warranty they got was back to base at their expense,this will obviously cut out silly claims too and my own warranty specifically excludes consequential losses like hotel bills,fares taxis recovery etc

This isnt denying consumer rights its enhancing their basic rights but ring fencing all possible problems to your advantage for any possible future claim

thanks for taking the time Law Jaw appreciate it

• Like 2

Nothing worse then paying to put a warranty on a car and then having to pay again when they turn down the customers claim.

100 percent agree on the rtb