Sign in to follow this  
tradegirl

Write off for minor damage

16 minutes ago, tradex said:

Also, often the car in question can have had some damage 'repaired' before passing hands down the food line, so what you think was a light n/s/r was originally a hard n/s/r

I've often thought this. In fact didn't someone on here post cars with heavy damage from Copart, part repaired and then posted on eBay as damaged, but with a far lighter fix?

15 minutes ago, TangoVictor32 said:

Unrecorded damage? 

They didn't go through insurer. Under table deal car sold on eBay.

Yeah of course. I don't know why in my mind every accident = dealing with insurance.

Apart from what i shared earlier you can all laugh at me but for the love of god i have never understood the differences between all the cats..  C d n s x etc

There are simply too many categories and how can they determine which car fits where? You can be paid out for all of the cats i believe but if you're paid out then the damage would be similar from one cat to another.

Another confusing aspect of insurance. Confused? Confused.com :lol:

Me and a pal I had from Skye used to go down to Rotherham to buy cat d . He was experienced ,worked in coachworks. trying to repair cars and make profits wasn't as easy as it sounds.

Europeans are either better at it or don't care as much. A 35k 63 plate Clio on fb for the princely sum of 800quid ..it's cheap for a reason.. 

most cars seem to have had some damage in their life i used to buy ex police cars and at least one of them had been a cutnshut and this was in the days when they had their own bodyshops

remember the queen often sits in a cutnshut and a niece of mine went in one to her wedding a few years back and of course we all go in a cut n shut to our maker

just sayin:lol:

Edited by jason doyle motor sales

Judging by the number of straight cars with substantial accident damage coming through the block as p/x's I'd say a lot of people just don't bother involving insurance at all as long as the car still functions. 

On 4/27/2019 at 1:58 PM, tradegirl said:

Hi everyone.

Does anyone know what determines a car being written off? We have bought 3 cars with very minor bumper damage (needed literally just a respray), which were Category N.

On the other hand, we have seen cars of similar value smashed right into the engine, airbags deployed etc, that are unrecorded. Saw a straight Juke a couple of weeks ago that was effed in the wing and wheel arch.

Trying to explain to buyers that I assume comes down to the insurer. Even with before photos, some people can't be convinced. Told a lady today that it was purely cosmetic damage, and she said "seems odd to be written off for cosmetic damage, thanks anyway".

Would she prefer if the car had had rad pack and airbags replaced??

Adding to what others have said, paintwork for these fancy 3 stage colours can be very expensive these days. A wing on it's own could well end up with the door, bonnet and bumper being painted to blend it all in.

I don't think assessors get sent out like they used to with many being written off remotely via body shop reports.

5 hours ago, sparky said:

I don't think assessors get sent out like they used to with many being written off remotely via body shop reports.

That's certainly the case where we are, several bodyshops do the photies and Email 'em to Ins Co, then get paid for repair or car gets written off ;)

On 28/04/2019 at 10:47 AM, Dave2302 said:

As far as I know there are only 3 basic reasons a Car with damage will be un recorded ................

1)   It was 3rd party insured, or owner didn't want to claim......... Perhaps hit something pissed and drove off, young driver doesn't want a claim etc this sort of thing.

2)   Has been through Insurance Claim, but not yet entered on register, (it will be tho)

3)   Someone entered wrong details at time of registering and so the seller got very lucky (likely very rare).  

That would be interesting read for you as it looks like there are many more of those unrecorded ones than you would think ;)

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/106336/the-great-british-car-insurance-write-off-scandal

1 hour ago, Josh Lambert said:

That would be interesting read for you as it looks like there are many more of those unrecorded ones than you would think ;)

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/106336/the-great-british-car-insurance-write-off-scandal

I don't know why I'd need to read that, just another load of gutter press "Scandal" to sell their stupid rag :(

I am under no illusion about "Write Off" Vehicles, whether recorded or not, and as has been said before, there is no reason a properly repaired one should not go back on the road ....................

The problems are all the hackers and bodgers that don't repair them properly, and that your average Joe Billy Bunter Public hears all the tales form the bar stool mechanics and know it all relatives, which scares the crap out of the vast majority of them and thus it is harder for dealers to sell them ..............

Or selling without disclosure will give you grief if they find out they have bought an un registered scrappy doo salvage !!

I wouldn't buy to sell one.

I have bought to repair, then keep, then sold, fully disclosed years later, my re shelled EsCos for example.

Stupid scaremongering articles like that do us all no favours. I'd have no problem with a repaired Car especially one that has been done correctly as so many are just very light damage, Wing / Bumper / Door etc etc

My problem would be that anything that needs to go on a jig for realignment should be never allowed back !!

Melt the c*nt down and make it into biscuit tins !!

Re shell it yes, but that is rarely economical unless it is something valuable, and you can get a cheap shell, and do it properly!!

Edited by Dave2302