Sign in to follow this  
Lazz

Mileage descrepancies

Was just woundering what you do about mileage descrepancies showing on hpi checks, mot's etc.

i have had a few recently where it looks like when someone has sent of v5for change of ownership they have perhaps rounded up the mileage because they can't be arsed to get the exact mileage car then recently mot'd  which correct mileage then throws up the descrepancies, but mot history, service history tells you everything is write.

is there a legal requirement to chase this down when it is obviously an admin error and if you do how long has it taken to get to the bottom of it.

Its a night mare no matter how you try and explain to a customer its clearly an error they never really listen. 

I know it's another story you have to tell the customer.

had it once on a Picasso where a mot chap must of had fat fingers and put in the wrong mileage and it looked like the car had done approx 400k in one year part way through its life fortunetly the customer who brought it was sensible and could see the error.

do any of you get the nmr to investigate it and if so how long did it take to put right?

Tbh I’ve had a few & if it’s written clearly in the advert it’s not been a bar to a sale - mind you, it’s always been on cheap shit where the price is all that matters.

Was looking at a car today, FSH, but failed the MOT at 30k (wrong mileage) and passed at 50k the same day. Something as cut and dry as that, I don't mind. Anything harder to explain, is just too much of a headache.

If we see a mileage discrepancy of any sort, pre p/x or purchase, we just leave it be. It takes up too much time 'explaining'. 

Plenty of cars out there without, so why bother. 

Motorcheck advertise that they quickly and easily correct genuine mileage discrepancies, anyone tried that?

1 hour ago, JDM1983 said:

Motorcheck advertise that they quickly and easily correct genuine mileage discrepancies, anyone tried that?

Be interested to hear how

I'm finding no one checks hpi's before buying, ever, they are also clueless about the CRA15

Do you mean the ones with no previous owners details? If so been having them for a while Mark. 

59 minutes ago, MrV said:

I'm finding no one checks hpi's before buying, ever, they are also clueless about the CRA15

Wait until you sell a few “prestige” cars you’ll soon come across a few know it alls 

10 hours ago, MrV said:

You will find they do it after and then ring you with issues like that private plate one you had where they think its a cat d or  something else untoward. Always found it weird doing the check after purchase but tends to happen quite a lot.

9 hours ago, EPV said:

Wait until you sell a few “prestige” cars you’ll soon come across a few know it alls 

I'm assuming jaguar buyers would be complete know it alls ;)

On 4/20/2019 at 9:04 AM, MrV said:

I'm assuming jaguar buyers would be complete know it alls ;)

Proper Jaguar buyers are ok...its the x type buyers you have to watch, buying a posh mondeo makes them feel very special !

On 18/04/2019 at 5:13 PM, Lazz said:

I know it's another story you have to tell the customer.

had it once on a Picasso where a mot chap must of had fat fingers and put in the wrong mileage and it looked like the car had done approx 400k in one year part way through its life fortunetly the customer who brought it was sensible and could see the error.

do any of you get the nmr to investigate it and if so how long did it take to put right?

Great example of this EJ59ESY, it's a howler!

EJ59ESY Fiesta.

Comes back all clear on Autotrader/Experian. No mileage  history recorded.

Edited by David Ayers

LOL, that's just Stevie Wonder tester, who is also retarded, who in their right mind wouldn't take 2 minutes to walk outside and double check that, especially on a 59 fezza !!

3 hours ago, tradex said:

I had a 3rd gen Firebird that did over 700k in one year, busy fella:D

It would of sucked the oil wells dry doing 700K in one of those :lol:

I've had a few nightmares with mileage discrepancies over the years. It's really annoying when you buy a car at the block, do an HPi check and it comes up with some daft discrepancy where someone has put in 24000 miles instead of 24 when the car was a week old for example! It can often take ages to get these discrepancies removed and I've had a few where HPI/NMR refuse to remove them even if they are obvious if the car doesn't have a full service history.

I've even started HPi-ing cars I'm really interested in before a sale so I can go for them in confidence that I won't have any discrepancy trouble. 

From a buyer's point of view, I can totally understand how they would be massively put off if a car comes up with a discrepancy. I've lost a few sales this way as years ago I assumed all BCA/Manheim cars were pre-sale HPi/NMR checked so I never used to check them.