Sign in to follow this  
kullboys

Taxing a car with no V5C/2

I've just picked up a C3 bought on DA. I have the V5C but no green slip attached.

Can this be taxed at the Post Office just using the V5C when changing keeper?

Not come across this senario before...

Thanks.

You will be able to tax online or at the Post Office. Just add a random number to the doc ref number on the V5, and you’ll be able to tax online.

19 minutes ago, Blenheim Car Sales said:

Really ????    a random number just created and it gets the right car taxed ???

No. 

A RANDOM FIRST DIGIT in front of the 11 digit doc ref number on the front of the V5 does it IF the part logbook you are holding is the last one issued for the vehicle. 

10 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

A RANDOM FIRST DIGIT in front of the 11 digit doc ref number on the front of the V5 does it IF the part logbook you are holding is the last one issued for the vehicle. 

Ha Ha, I just love this Forum, I never knew that ;)

Just in case you think it might be April fools joke try it with one of your logbooks Dave, without paying in the last screen, works perfectly. 

20 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

Just in case you think it might be April fools joke try it with one of your logbooks Dave, without paying in the last screen, works perfectly. 

^^^ just make sure its not a free road tax car first, as it will go straight through otherwise!!!!

Works fine, have been doing this for ages now and has previously been discussed recently on this forum

Just now, Tony F said:

just make sure its not a free road tax car first

Dave doesn't do "free road tax". Anything smaller than a V6 is of no interest to him :D

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

No. 

Thanks 

I did this last month on a car with no new keeper supplement - straight through by adding (a 9 or a 1) infron of V5 number.

5 hours ago, kullboys said:

I've just picked up a C3 bought on DA. I have the V5C but no green slip attached.

Can this be taxed at the Post Office just using the V5C when changing keeper?

Not come across this senario before...

Thanks.

This was my exact post a few weeks ago....why copy and paste when all answers are there in previous thread? Strange

24 minutes ago, AAM90 said:

This was my exact post a few weeks ago....why copy and paste when all answers are there in previous thread? Strange

maybe hes got a small bot?

5 hours ago, Nick M.K. said:

Dave doesn't do "free road tax". Anything smaller than a V6 is of no interest to him :D

Too right, although the TD5 Defender I had was ex Mountain Rescue, "Ambulance" Tax category, that was free and never sussed, AFAIK the bloke who bought it off me may well still be at that one :ph34r:

Edited by Dave2302

On 01/04/2019 at 9:02 AM, Nick M.K. said:

No. 

Yeah, I missed the words - in front of the doc ref number. And of course I presumed it would have been the latest V5. If it’s an older type, you can still tax at the post office, they input  the reg and validation character and you’re taxed. :)

14 hours ago, MAP said:

If it’s an older type, you can still tax at the post office, they input  the reg and validation character

Fuck me, ????????????????????????

Does anyone still have one of those, I thought DVLA had cancelled and replaced them eons ago, even if it was a Vehicle that had been with same keeper for "Donkeys"

1 hour ago, Dave2302 said:

Does anyone still have one of those, I thought DVLA had cancelled and replaced them eons ago, even if it was a Vehicle that had been with same keeper for "Donkeys"

did one a few weeks ago as computer at work said no

Ahhh yeah, OK, so you had to do it at PO and now you'll get a new V5 yeah ?

Must have been SORN'd for a few years like my "Disabled Tax" one last week, ;)

But that got a new V5 when I got it 3 years ago, I just didn't spot the Tax Class, IIRC the previous owner sent it off to DVLA ;) 

Edited by Dave2302

3 hours ago, Dave2302 said:

Had a 2003 Mini in px a couple of days ago, they could only find the old, old V5! The blue long one, with the green slip at the bottom, still ok to tax at PO, and new keeper will get latest Red V5 in a few weeks. No charge, just a trip to PO is the only inconvenience. My Mum and Dad used to run a PO, taxed many a car with no paperwork at all, just the reg. number on a piece of paper, and my Mum inputting the reg then trying all the different possible validation characters! It was great when they were an A or B, took a while if they were a symbol, as she always started with the alphabet, then numbers and symbols last!! Always got taxed in the end. Any Post Office, that tax cars, can do this, but I doubt many would!!! ;)