Times are getting tougher for us smaller dealers and it feels like its hard to keep your head above water. For us our main enquiry's come from Autotrader and a few from other sources like ebay, we have massively seen a decrease in response from Autotrader in the last year and its hard to pay such large bills when it doesn't return great value yet we still need them.  I read their intention to float this morning which was posted in Feb.

I couldn't believe what I read, as dealers we receive a terrible service, over priced products that even if we wanted we couldn't afford. We are all making far less money than we ever have done and its a struggle to compete with the larger groups and continous price increases from suppliers. They are making huge profits at the determent of our business' and are selfish and greedy and now expect to raise our prices AGAIN in these tough times. This is taken from thier own intention In FY16, the Directors expect continuing revenue growth, driven primarily by retailer revenue

For us we can barley afford their bills as it is, if they increase them I don't think we can carry on advertising with them which in return will probably put us out of business. Am I the only one who feels this way? Been in the car trade for years but things have never felt this bad.

http://www.londonstockexchange.com/exchange/news/market-news/market-news-detail/12262135.html

Current Trading and Prospects

Since 28 December 2014, Auto Trader has continued to benefit from favourable market conditions in the UK and broader confidence across the UK automotive industry. For the full year to 29 March 2015, the Directors expect retailer revenue to continue the trend established in YTDQ315.

In FY16, the Directors expect continuing revenue growth, driven primarily by retailer revenue. In addition, the high drop-through of approximately 80% of incremental revenue to incremental EBITDA is expected to lead to a further improvement in Adjusted Underlying EBITDA margin of approximately 1 percentage point.

Couldn't agree more , just loaded up my first twenty cars onto the RAC website , fingers crossed...

Can we please have a list of genuine alternatives to Autotrader. The only other site that i have found to get any traffic from buyers is ebay motors so they must be a close contender. Any others?

Max try AA cars been on for a month getting genuine enquiries and sales. 

Just binned Motors.co.uk so have quite a few dealers near me, ramped thier prices up after all this TV advertising and its backfired! 

Are there any statistics to back up the likes of eBay ? We only advertise our stock on autotrader and it does sell but I would like to eBay but it's not really my place to say where cars are advertised. Does anyone use pistonheads ?

Edited by Steve92

I'm constantly looking for any alternatives, I use autotrader, and I use ebay for anything sub £1000  - you get lots of timewasters and cheeky sods offering peanuts but is worth it if you persevere, dropped motors in April but stock now free of charge on RAC cars, been on 4 weeks now - no leads as yet but fingers crossed and best of all its FREE!

I'm paying £145 per month same as ebay which I also use. 

TML... Sounds like AA cars are worth a shot, is it an annual contract? I can't seem to find anywhere for car dealers on the site, do you have a phone number for a rep or something? 

James 

TML... Sounds like AA cars are worth a shot, is it an annual contract? I can't seem to find anywhere for car dealers on the site, do you have a phone number for a rep or something? 

James 

I'll jump in here if TML doesn't mind. I emailed them yesterday as I couldn't find any other contact details. They called straight back, I was offered a package at £160 p/m on a 6 month contract. I guess it will vary on the number of cars you wish to advertise but they'll be best placed to answer that

I'll jump in here if TML doesn't mind. I emailed them yesterday as I couldn't find any other contact details. They called straight back, I was offered a package at £160 p/m on a 6 month contract. I guess it will vary on the number of cars you wish to advertise but they'll be best placed to answer that

Oh that's quite cool. I will do that and see what happens :) 

Just had a chat with them, is £220 per month for 21-30 cars on a 6 month contract about right ? 

Interesting comments from all, i was just looking at our AT bill and could actually do a SKY AD Smart campaign for similar money

Reference other sites, autotrader has such a strong name for buyers, it will always be used unless one other is used by dealers for many many years, think we are all dabbling here and there, to me a solution would be a "www.website.co.uk" basically offers a strong 5 year deal, no dropping out by dealers at sensible rates but with a gaurantee that they have 5 years tv advertising, i had high hopes for motors as thought they looked good value, but i just never see them on tv etc, thats the power of autotrader they have the name out there already, no idea what it would cost for a tv campaign but to me thats the only way it can ever work

Just had a chat with them, is £220 per month for 21-30 cars on a 6 month contract about right ? 

Yes I don't have that many cars. They also provide a free professional website which they are doing for me at the moment.  

Having the AA brand in your business does help. Ebay is still King but AA is doing very well. 

Just out of interest, what kind of figures are we talking about and what does that give you?

I think most of us on here stock under 40 cars and I've always been intrigued what the big boys with three figure numbers are paying?ying t

Edit. That question was for william whom for some reason I was unable to quote.

Edited by sparky