Sign in to follow this  
MarkTVS

Do you have a personal car?

Just curious as to who owns a personal car and who just uses stock cars? I do have a personal car but only really use it on days off, I take fresh stock cars home most nights as I find it helps me spot any hidden issues and underlying problems.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MarkTVS said:

Just curious as to who owns a personal car and who just uses stock cars? I do have a personal car but only really use it on days off, I take fresh stock cars home most nights as I find it helps me spot any hidden issues and underlying problems.

Same here my friend . Got three cars at home including the dog car, the car park shopping car ,and the going out for dinner car .

Drive a different stock car home every night to keep things moving , Battery , brake discs etc 

We have a family vehicle for the wife and children.....I get bored with the same car, so normally I tax the lumpiest piece of stock I have and smoke it until it sells :ph34r:

5 MB's on my personal fleet now since just punting the E Class, plus my Workshop Expert Van, and yeah, I also drive all the stock at least 120 miles before selling (Inverness and back, Portree and back etc).

Every vehicle here gets at least 30 miles a week, Brakes etc just go on shite if left standing around ;)

Will probably sell the Ambiente bussie when I've fitted the Engine I keep tripping over in my workshop, that's not needed any more since Mels Bro and the old fella carked it, also it is the only one we aren't using right now as its currently a 3 cylinder CDI cos I blew it up on it's last 'mercy dash' south :lol:

It will fetch way more than it owes me now, and I've had it 6 years now ;)

Edited by Dave2302

Clio 1.5 Diesel & Caterham for the weekend.

Love my Clio, leave it anywhere, £30 a year tax and 60 + to the gallon...

Edited by DBDlloyds
Spellings

If your business is incorporated you have to be very carefull about using stock,there are pitfalls which can prove to be very expensive if you are assessed by HMRC.....However having limited liability is a good thing for our job.Our home ‘ fleet ‘is personally owned,I use a Rav cheapie,my wife has a descent CClass,daughter has a late upmarket Wrangler ( looks good drives crap ) and we also have a Merc SL ( wife’s old car which I use in the summer to pose in the golf club car park.) I do prefer the Rav which was a swapper.

Disco as a daily driver bought 7 years ago and it is a goodun.  Of course it is for sale as well, at MY price or I will keep it another 7 years.

I drive all the stock home and back once but only to test them as they are all transported to me.

Old Saab estate for the short commute and tip runs/b&q on the weekend. Missus gets the bus or bikes to work and we usually use trains for long journeys and taxis in the evenings...i'll do pretty much anything to avoid driving

• Like 1

Knackered Subaru Legacy estate 2.5i, 140k, drinks as much oil as it does petrol, but I can throw anything in the back including wheels, gearboxes, dogs, children etc and not give a hoot!

Very aged, trusty MK1 CRV.  I do sometimes take a swapper home if I can get the dog in it.  Mrs has a new Sportage.

5.0 V8 Supercharged RR. Stupid car. 

I’m flirting between keeping it and taking the next banger that comes into stock as my daily, or selling the idiotic thing and getting a diesel E Class. So much car for your money. 

When I bought the RR I did about 3,000 a year. Now it feels like I do that a week. 

2014 C Class diesel estate bought for around £13K from BCA Leeds 13 months and 17500 miles ago. Still worth that to retail and will probably be advertised shortly before the mileage creeps up to 100K. 

If you are self employed and do lots of business miles it is worthwhile becoming a ltd company.For example I know one sole  trader who does nearly 1000 miles per week,so he incorporated.He has a nice car which he purchased himself and it costs him nothing to run because he is allowed to charge his company 40/45p per mile to cover fuel,maintenance etc.It must be like earning £10k tax free.

I'm still loving my old diesel focus! Looks like i'm going to be putting my daughter in a car very soon though, although she's not very materialistic same as me so probably another banger!

Edited by met

Wife has a 12 plate e class convertible the past 4 years, privately owned. I am nearly always driving a grands worth of something diesel that has come in p/ex, which I tax and use for 6 mths, and can dump anywhere, throw the dog in the back, go to rubbish tip etc. I did treat myself to a Cayenne diesel, which I kept for a year and sold over xmas. But i was totally underwhelmed by it and got bored driving it around after a month. Give me an old banger anytime. Oh and I have a mint Boxster 3.4S that I keep telling myself is the weekend car, (but it is really a stock car that I cant shift)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, met said:

I'm still loving my old diesel focus! Looks like i'm going to be putting my daughter in a car very soon though, although she's not very materialistic same as me so probably another banger!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Blenheim Car Sales said:

Lamborghini owners are quiet today................HMRC must monitor this forum

There was an interesting tax case in the news years back.A guy had a cigarette vending business in London and his company car was a Lamborghini which he said he only used for 100% business use which would mean he was not liable to pay company car tax.HMRC were wanting to charge company car tax which is based on the list price when new and they argued that the car was clearly availible for personal and non business use.In effect if you make one journey in the tax year which includes an element of private use you are liable for company car tax.Incredibly,HMRC lost the case because the guy successfully argued that he supplied up market London clubs and he had to have this car to operate his business efficiently and on security grounds.It apparently was the only way the doorman would allow him to park directly outside club premises to deliver cigarettes late at night !

2 hours ago, NOACROSS said:

Very aged, trusty MK1 CRV.  I do sometimes take a swapper home if I can get the dog in it.  Mrs has a new Sportage.

good cars the mk1 i had one ,crap seats though so i changed them

5 minutes ago, justina3 said:

Smoking around in a sq7 vorsprung edition pool car of course. 

Absolutely,availible to all members of staff and as a reserve vehicle in case you are called out ‘outside working hours’.

5 hours ago, trade vet said:

If your business is incorporated you have to be very carefull about using stock,there are pitfalls which can prove to be very expensive if you are assessed by HMRC.....However having limited liability is a good thing for our job.Our home ‘ fleet ‘is personally owned,I use a Rav cheapie,my wife has a descent CClass,daughter has a late upmarket Wrangler ( looks good drives crap ) and we also have a Merc SL ( wife’s old car which I use in the summer to pose in the golf club car park.) I do prefer the Rav which was a swapper.

As I found out in a recent inspection. They class it as a benefit in kind. 

Edited by James01

I get a choice of company car which is declared on my P11d as my company car but colleagues enjoy trying to sell them.  

BMW 330e is current car of choice as 49 co2 for my daily plus a toy for the summer