Was out on a test drive today with an elderly couple when got blue lighted off a police car. Spoke to the officer and asked what the problem was and he said the number plate flashed up as no insurance. I said it was on my trade plates and I was doing a test drive, he said it only checks the actual number plate on the car. Fortunately he knew me as I had sold his father a VW golf a couple of years ago so he let us carry on without further discussions, even though my trade plates were in the front and rear windows.

I have mentioned this before on here about should I put my entire stock on the MID listing even though my broker states just vehicles that are taxed and in use. My thought now is if I this car   today had been on my MID list would it have flagged as uninsured, presumably not. I suppose the other argument is if you get one stolen its going to flag up as uninsured if seen by the police.  I think all my stock are going on the MID tomorrow taxed or not......All very confusing!

4 minutes ago, Beautiful South Martin said:

I think all my stock are going on the MID tomorrow taxed or not......All very confusing!

DON'T DO THAT!

The police should check your trade plates on the MID and those need to be on it. 

The car can be off MID if untaxed, that's not a huge deal and if you get pulled over so be it. Carry your trade ins certificate with you, they'll look at it, they'll let you go.

BUT

If you put a car on MID and sell it and the new owner has an accident without proper insurance the other insurer will come after YOUR INSURER as the last party that had insured interest in that vehicle. This is my broker's advice and he is very very clued up about trade insurance. 

Edited by Nick M.K.

Seems to be a lot of different advise out there regarding this subject, I am the opposite to Nick I put everything on, the second its sold / collected we remove it and the customer has already signed all the paperwork showing what time they collected the car so even if it takes an hour for it to show live as being removed and an accident happens in the mean time I can easily prove it isn't down to me.

This advise is from our broker who services lots of garages in the area so as nicks guy bit of an expert in his field. 

• Like 2

As above everything is 'on'. I don't like to give the police any opportunity to pull me over thanks. It's no fun having to explain trade insurance to two coppers who got overexcited thinking you're uninsured!

4 minutes ago, tradex said:

As soon as you sell the car, take it off the MID, or have I missed something? 

I used to add everything despite many people's advice on here but since changing to Aviva - they point blank refuse to add anything that isn't taxed - for more or less the reasons Nick states.

Edited by Mark101

I'm with Nick.

We used to add/remove everything when necessary and it was a right pain in the arse. Changed insurer and now it's only taxed vehicles we have to add on MID; the occasional courtesy vehicle or personal/play stuff. 

Your issue i'd guess was having the tradies in the window and not upside down, vertically placed, laminated in glitter, reverse flipped, 72 degree angle on the roof or whatever stupid position they've decided they should be in this month.

10 minutes ago, grant8064 said:

I'm with Nick.

We used to add/remove everything when necessary and it was a right pain in the arse. Changed insurer and now it's only taxed vehicles we have to add on MID; the occasional courtesy vehicle or personal/play stuff. 

Your issue i'd guess was having the tradies in the window and not upside down, vertically placed, laminated in glitter, reverse flipped, 72 degree angle on the roof or whatever stupid position they've decided they should be in this month.

This week it's wedged between the parcel shelf and the hatch half concealed?

Its only taxed cars on MID according to our Insurer and broker . 

Looks like you had a stupid copper :blink: who didn't know left from right , The plonker :huh:

Surely the correct advice is ASK YOUR INSURER?

21 minutes ago, BHM said:

Surely the correct advice is ASK YOUR INSURER?

common sense isnt common would be the answer, but to be fair i often ask what seems like a stupid question just wondering what everyone else does.

Good evening all.

Ex Traffic Inspector here retired after 30 years. 

Lovely forum here you guys have I must say.

This topic on discussion is cut clear: MID.

Motor Insurance Database (the clue to the answer you lot are looking for is in the name)

If a vehicle is NOT on here then it is showing as NOT INSURED and you will be pulled over. You may have insurance that will cover you to drive any vehicle but coppers Dont know this.

The whole issue of trade plates is grey area. For example they could move about and arent clear to read.

Furthermore ANPR cameras are NOT setup to read trade plates. So if there is a roadside check point operation you WILL be pulled in.

And do not listen to your brokers. There job is to make money and tell you whatever sounds easier. They wont defend you if a problem ever arises. 

There are a lot of what ifs:

1) anyone pulled can say they have trade insurance

2) trade plates can be stolen

3) how would you make your insurance claim if a vehicle was vandalised or stolen? Without it being added to the MID your insurer may not accept it is your car and it could be that of a mates (who had no insurance)

I say this because myself and some colleagues have invested in a partnership of vehicle sales 5 years ago and when we renewed our policy at year 1 we was asked "did you not sell any cars last month?"

I asked them what do they mean and they explained in the earlier months we had a lot of stock turn over and in the last month we havent added anything to the MID. They said they usually check as people buy trade insurance as its cheaper to insure their personal cars and dont trade.

Hope this helps.

Edited by TangoVictor32

16 hours ago, TangoVictor32 said:

Good evening all.

Motor Insurance Database (the clue to the answer you lot are looking for is in the name)

If a vehicle is NOT on here then it is showing as NOT INSURED and you will be pulled over. You may have insurance that will cover you to drive any vehicle but coppers Dont know this.

The whole issue of trade plates is grey area. For example they could move about and arent clear to read.

Furthermore ANPR cameras are NOT setup to read trade plates. So if there is a roadside check point operation you WILL be pulled in.

And do not listen to your brokers. There job is to make money and tell you whatever sounds easier. They wont defend you if a problem ever arises. 

3) how would you make your insurance claim if a vehicle was vandalised or stolen? Without it being added to the MID your insurer may not accept it is your car and it could be that of a mates (who had no insurance)

I say this because myself and some colleagues have invested in a partnership of vehicle sales 5 years ago and when we renewed our policy at year 1 we was asked "did you not sell any cars last month?"

I asked them what do they mean and they explained in the earlier months we had a lot of stock turn over and in the last month we havent added anything to the MID. They said they usually check as people buy trade insurance as its cheaper to insure their personal cars and dont trade.

Hope this helps.

16 hours ago, TangoVictor32 said:

Good evening all.

Hope this helps.

Interesting opinion from someone on the force, however you are probably underestimating the quality of some of our brokers and at the end of the day they underwrite us not the police, so as you can imagine they are the ones i take notice of.

Ive been pulled over so many times down the years i must be bugged, ive had everything from pulled for driving shite to auction, been pulled because ive had rare cars on my trailer and they just wanted a look, too being pulled in high end stuff because they thought i looked like a wrong-un lol.

to be fair i did used to / have a test route i did late at night which i used to test high end stuff out which involved a fast A road and return via motorway, some of this gear needs to be tested at a fair rate of knots as that was what ultimately the buyer would be doing, no use having a punter call a week later telling me he has a wheel woble at 120 clicks:(

anyway the route involved pulling into services at the half way point and leaving on idle whilst having a coffee and smoke, usually at 12-2am i would attract plod at this point virtually guaranteed, must admit it could be fun pulling their chain a bit by offering too swap cars up to the next junction:D joking apart met some nice ones who were car usually car buffs.

I think ive perfected it now ref trade plates - customer demo then cover numberplates and display trade plates to best possible view, carry certificate at all times- a decent underwriter gives a pocket sized wallet, always carry your mid login details (ive been sat in plodmobile and told them what i have on mid listed no problems)only put on mid whats taxed or personal use - my broker quotes this and i have a quality underwriter, regarding proof of ownership should an incident happen with a stock car that is not on mid it is irrelative if you have it invoice /dated in, if your broker / underwriter disagrees you have crap cover.

Finally a tip - if your insurer insists on everything listed on mid they basically know how much they can afford to shaft you on your next renewal....

Edited by awc1000

5 hours ago, awc1000 said:

Interesting opinion from someone on the force, however you are probably underestimating the quality of some of our brokers and at the end of the day they underwrite us not the police, so as you can imagine they are the ones i take notice of.

Ive been pulled over so many times down the years i must be bugged, ive had everything from pulled for driving shite to auction, been pulled because ive had rare cars on my trailer and they just wanted a look, too being pulled in high end stuff because they thought i looked like a wrong-un lol.

to be fair i did used to / have a test route i did late at night which i used to test high end stuff out which involved a fast A road and return via motorway, some of this gear needs to be tested at a fair rate of knots as that was what ultimately the buyer would be doing, no use having a punter call a week later telling me he has a wheel woble at 120 clicks:(

anyway the route involved pulling into services at the half way point and leaving on idle whilst having a coffee and smoke, usually at 12-2am i would attract plod at this point virtually guaranteed, must admit it could be fun pulling their chain a bit by offering too swap cars up to the next junction:D joking apart met some nice ones who were car usually car buffs.

I think ive perfected it now ref trade plates - customer demo then cover numberplates and display trade plates to best possible view, carry certificate at all times- a decent underwriter gives a pocket sized wallet, always carry your mid login details (ive been sat in plodmobile and told them what i have on mid listed no problems)only put on mid whats taxed or personal use - my broker quotes this and i have a quality underwriter, regarding proof of ownership should an incident happen with a stock car that is not on mid it is irrelative if you have it invoice /dated in, if your broker / underwriter disagrees you have crap cover.

Finally a tip - if your insurer insists on everything listed on mid they basically know how much they can afford to shaft you on your next renewal....

Are you in a rural area? Sounds like some cops which dont have real work on haha!

We always shop around annually and then we know we aren't being ripped off. Just to get a price indication if that's all. 

It just saves time not being pulled.

19 minutes ago, TangoVictor32 said:

Are you in a rural area? Sounds like some cops which dont have real work on haha!

We always shop around annually and then we know we aren't being ripped off. Just to get a price indication if that's all. 

It just saves time not being pulled.

rural - yes and no, worcestershire, we have in the area a police legend who is always on one of those motorway cop tv shows, cant remember his name but a scottish fella with a very hard reputation, you may have seen him, he always comes down hard on motorists, i have a friend who works internally on the police cars and they tell me he has been known to nick his own colleagues in the area - i kid you not, nice eh:(

2 minutes ago, awc1000 said:

rural - yes and no, worcestershire, we have in the area a police legend who is always on one of those motorway cop tv shows, cant remember his name but a scottish fella with a very hard reputation, you may have seen him, he always comes down hard on motorists, i have a friend who works internally on the police cars and they tell me he has been known to nick his own colleagues in the area - i kid you not, nice eh:(

The Scottish fella - Do you mean the twins. They're both bald and they are identical and both are cops?

In one episode both went out together in the bad weather in a 4x4 at 3am and am sure people would have been spooked bit like the fat cop in Terminator 2 who gets cloned by T1000 

2 minutes ago, TangoVictor32 said:

The Scottish fella - Do you mean the twins. They're both bald and they are identical and both are cops?

In one episode both went out together in the bad weather in a 4x4 at 3am and am sure people would have been spooked bit like the fat cop in Terminator 2 who gets cloned by T1000 

yes bold head rings a bell. i think you might be right, if they are twins it will explain how he get's about a lot:D:D

4 minutes ago, awc1000 said:

yes bold head rings a bell. i think you might be right, if they are twins it will explain how he get's about a lot:D:D

Is it that fella? 

12 minutes ago, awc1000 said:

His name is Angus Nairn - He had me on the M50 at 86mph.

He is a nice guy actually and he did say I was the freindliest person he has ever pulled over.  I couldn't argue, I was bang to rights.

Where are you awc - I'm in Worcester itself, just off J6

2 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

He is a nice guy actually and he did say I was the freindliest person he has ever pulled over.  I couldn't argue, I was bang to rights.

http://www.trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=81516

Pc Angus Nairn

Pc Bob Nairn

4 minutes ago, TangoVictor32 said:

Is it that fella? 

ah yes thats the fella.

He's an alright cop actually, no chip on his shoulder.

When he asked me why I was so happy to be pulled, I said "I'm just glad you weren't behind me last week when I was on my R1."

5 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

he had an audi rs4 at one point which i was asked too underwrite but he was on another planet, well he is scottish....

9 minutes ago, awc1000 said:

he had an audi rs4 at one point which i was asked too underwrite but he was on another planet, well he is scottish....

15 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

10 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

He's an alright cop actually, no chip on his shoulder.

When he asked me why I was so happy to be pulled, I said "I'm just glad you weren't behind me last week when I was on my R1."

i'm located worcester - malvern area, i think i know where you are, think you maybe in a unit through someone i know? r....y??

23 hours ago, TangoVictor32 said:

Good evening all.

Hope this helps.

21 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

I am worcester - malvern area, i think i know where you are. think you maybe in a unit through someone i know? r....y??