Sign in to follow this  
Max Branning

MOT before or after sale ?

I include a full 12 months Mot on all cars sold, i really like it done either the day before or on the day the customer drives away, so i prefer to take a deposit then get Mot done before collection.

I have lost out on 2 sales this month though by customers that simply cannot wait a day or 2 and want to drive away there and then.

So i am thinking of now getting cars Mot'd when they come in to stock so they are in theory ready to drive away but what happens when they sit for 2 or 3 months or longer, i really am not happy sending a car out with only 9 months test even if the customer is !

What do you chaps do ?

Bizarrely I also have come across this obstacle recently where punters are madly impatient. 

For the past 20 odd years I’ve done it the same way you do and it’s worked out well for everyone. 

I’ve not lost a sale (well I do remember one last year but he was an idiot anyway). 

It’s just modern society where everything has to happen ‘now’. So I am going to start mot’ing them first I think on any new stock that comes in from now on.

The other reason why it is a good idea I think is because more and more punters look online at the current and previous mot and get odd about advisories  

If they need doing again then so be it. 

pdi

then if you know you can flip it fast mot it

if you think its going to be a sticker advertise with current mot but offer full mot inclusive, done within 24 hours

doesnt always work but so long as it sells within 4 weeks customers are always happy

just reduced one to clear i tested 6 weeks ago and thought it would fly

so theres NO 100% correct answer

Advertise each car with a new mot once arriving in stock so all are ready to drive away.

Never once been an issue even when sat for a 60/90 day period. Look at the MOT miles,look at the MOT date. 

The modern buyer is impatient.

Always MOT prior to sale so I know exactly where I stand with the car mechanically. I then incorporate the MOT, PDI, history, warranty booklet into its video presentation. This instills confidence into the mechanical preparation and condition of the car.....  It really helps potential customers to make a remote buying decision, when you are upfront about the prep you've done to the car.

Isn't there also an issue trading Standards with advertising cars (prior) to checking its mechanical validity ? I could be very wrong.....  

• Like 1

Always before, sold a car today, customers travelled down from Kent as the one they had seen locally the garage said they would have to wait 2-3 days to get it ready and the customers couldn’t wait! 

Always before. 

Stuff gets picked up that the PDI might've missed. 

The car is ready to drive away with no surprises and even if it stays in stock for 2 months I've never had someone demand a 12 month test. My advert text will be changed at some point from FULL MOT to New (or Recent) MOT to Long MOT. 

• Like 1

always before, people are impatient, more importantly you can underline your costs in the vehicle and trading standards cant say your offering a full mot when its not mot'd. [ misleading].

eleven months sells just as well because it has not done any more miles.

Edited by have a word with the wife

1 minute ago, have a word with the wife said:

and trading standards cant say your offering a full mot when its not mot'd. [ misleading].

Not only that, if they come on the premises and do a spot inspection on a few stock vehicles you'll have better defence if one of them is found unroadworthy. 

6 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

Not only that, if they come on the premises and do a spot inspection on a few stock vehicles you'll have better defence if one of them is found unroadworthy. 

Yep, I think that's where I was going with TS having issues....

Ok thanks all...i would like individually but have no button ?

Seems like everyone is on the Mot once in stock route so i may start doing this as well, maybe just a bit of ocd but i hate selling a car without a full 12 months ticket !

Yep always before , and it's not just that customers are impatient...I dont need to see 'em twice either .

I used to offer full 12 months and sods law it would fail on something stupid pdi missed or gone after a pdi Ford Fiesta coil spring just snapped once customer was a right pain wanted it next day, our workshop tech was on holiday no one local could do it same day so we lost the sale. 

Now we do as nick does fresh mot to long mot ect

14 minutes ago, Anglo9 said:

Yep always before , and it's not just that customers are impatient...I dont need to see 'em twice either .

Very good point....

Interesting to see how you all favour the MOT pre-sale. We do a PDI when stock comes in but fresh MOT/service upon sale. I've been contemplating doing it the other way and putting on a new MOT on everything when it arrives but some of our stock sits around a while which doesn't help and selling something with 7 months ticket just doesn't feel right to me. Thoughts?

I also try to avoid those people that 'wanna take it right now' so the fresh ticket upon sale becomes a good way to discriminate from impatient buyers. I know some will see that as putting in an unnecessary barrier to a transaction but around our way anyone that desperate to jump into a car buying decision usually turns out to be a screamer/buyers remorse/lives with you etc. Those willing to wait a couple of days to collect their new car are a bit more patient if something goes wrong.

My favourite buyers are the ones that want to take the car right now and travel 50+ miles to get to me. 

No one ever complained about the MOT not being for full 12 months. 

22 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

My favourite buyers are the ones that want to take the car right now and travel 50+ miles to get to me. 

No one ever complained about the MOT not being for full 12 months. 

Correct. 

I’m here to sell cars and the fewest barriers you put up the easier it is. 

57 minutes ago, grant8064 said:

Interesting to see how you all favour the MOT pre-sale. We do a PDI when stock comes in but fresh MOT/service upon sale. I've been contemplating doing it the other way and putting on a new MOT on everything when it arrives but some of our stock sits around a while which doesn't help and selling something with 7 months ticket just doesn't feel right to me. Thoughts?

I also try to avoid those people that 'wanna take it right now' so the fresh ticket upon sale becomes a good way to discriminate from impatient buyers. I know some will see that as putting in an unnecessary barrier to a transaction but around our way anyone that desperate to jump into a car buying decision usually turns out to be a screamer/buyers remorse/lives with you etc. Those willing to wait a couple of days to collect their new car are a bit more patient if something goes wrong.

100% how I do it.

Whilst cars sit brake callipers can seize. I’ve even had coil springs break whilst sitting on the forecourt.

Putting the Mot on when it is sold makes sure the car is safe as can be when it drives away.

Always before, If you are doing a  tight deal and you do it your way and the  mot costs £200 you done your tight deal and  it became a  real horrible deal, At least doing it prior t sale you know exactly to the penny where it stands you

3 minutes ago, Blenheim Car Sales said:

Always before, If you are doing a  tight deal and you do it your way and the  mot costs £200 you done your tight deal and  it became a  real horrible deal, At least doing it prior t sale you know exactly to the penny where it stands you

The Pdi my garage does covers virtually everything in an Mot apart from emissions.

5 minutes ago, David Ayers said:

100% how I do it.

Whilst cars sit brake callipers can seize. I’ve even had coil springs break whilst sitting on the forecourt.

Putting the Mot on when it is sold makes sure the car is safe as can be when it drives away.

Exactly how i've always seen it, at least i'm not the only one! 

The problem with an MOT is it's only as good as the day it's done IMO. Springs break (thanks Vauxhall), seat belt stalks fail and wiper linkages fail without a car doing a mile after a MOT. Had plenty this year that if i'd relied on a three week old ticket would've been coming back/seeing me in court.

6 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Always MOT prior to sale so I know exactly where I stand with the car mechanically. I then incorporate the MOT, PDI, history, warranty booklet into its video presentation. This instills confidence into the mechanical preparation and condition of the car.....  It really helps potential customers to make a remote buying decision, when you are upfront about the prep you've done to the car.

Isn't there also an issue trading Standards with advertising cars (prior) to checking its mechanical validity ? I could be very wrong.....  

Hmm yes you're right.

For a £1m If a customer left a deposit and you MOT it afterwards what would you do if there is rust or an oil leak that goes down on the MOT?

A) think fuck it just give billy the car

B ) tell Billy and you know he will be pissed off as you wasted his time

C) get a bodge job done on the rust

D) or pay your MOT tester pal a tenner so he doesn't mention it on the MOT but a year later Billy finds out the car has severe rust which could not have accumulated in a year since he had it

5 hours ago, ExCouncilJobsworth said:

Hmm yes you're right.

For a £1m If a customer left a deposit and you MOT it afterwards what would you do if there is rust or an oil leak that goes down on the MOT?

A) think fuck it just give billy the car

B ) tell Billy and you know he will be pissed off as you wasted his time

C) get a bodge job done on the rust

D) or pay your MOT tester pal a tenner so he doesn't mention it on the MOT but a year later Billy finds out the car has severe rust which could not have accumulated in a year since he had it

I think the issue is actually, advertising for sale a potentially unroadworthy vehicle, TS do spot checks and can turn up and check your stock, blah blah