Chris Fenoulhet

Traders insurance

Hi everyone I retired just over 2 years ago but before retiring I had been in the trade in one form or another most of my life when I retired I moved my motor trade insurance to private and also changed companies who were happy to use my motor trade 10 year plus NCB on my private policy I have now decided I would like to come out of retirement (bored out of my brains) and have made enquiries about going back to a motor trade policy and have been told they can only mirror my NCB for one year and then I would be starting again with only 1 year's NCB is this correct or am I being taken for a ride here after all NCB is exactly what it says and I have not had any, opinions and advice welcomed many thanks Chris

1 hour ago, Chris Fenoulhet said:

and advice welcomed many thanks Chris

the only thing you can do is keep shopping around

this market seems to get more niche every year and more hoops to jump before you are accepted

my advice would be dip your toe in for a year and see how you go

maybe limiting what you want might help ie large excess /no social and domestic/part time etc 

possible moral here, having taken a break from the trade myself,I  have never given up my trade policy had one since I was 21 and that was a long time ago, such a usefull thing to have, just a thought.

Interesting to hear Chris managed to use his motor trade NCB to transfer to a private policy. I'm only part time now and I have considered retiring from the trade fully within the next few years. I always assumed that if I got private insurance, I'd have to start off with a zero NCB as all my NCB is on a trade policy. 

Does anyone know of any insurers who are willing to use motor trade NCB for a private policy?

I guess one reason for me staying in the trade longer is to retain the trade policy - I'd imagine that if I retire and then decide I want to go back into the trade, it could be quite difficult to get a new trade policy.

On 2/14/2019 at 0:44 PM, Beechwood said:

possible moral here, having taken a break from the trade myself,I  have never given up my trade policy had one since I was 21 and that was a long time ago, such a usefull thing to have, just a thought.

You can only have a trade policy if you are actually involved in the motor trade. It is not a choice.

I think motor trade policies are cheaper than a private policy which are based on the car and its popularity as well ie a Golf R type will be expensive to insure as they are known to be stolen. 

So i would keep a trade policy and sell the minimum of cars You're supposed to sell as a trade policy holder from home. So if its 12 cars a year that's one a month. 

Alternatively you can speak to a mate who trades and stick some vehicles of his vehicles on your policy from time to time. 

Gosh i hate the days of a private policy and the stupid the then £30 admin fee to amend vehicle details. Must be a lot more now

Some Trade insurance companies do take private NCB over to trade , Someone i know has just started and done it with Covea I think the company is , took his NCB from his private policy and lumped across his new trader policy  .

They only deal with a broker i reckon too , so may need to ask your broker . 

It's good to hear some trade insurance companies take private NCB over to trade, I was just wondering if any take trade NCB into a private policy?

a good broker is the person to advise

when you find one keep them

i took the mistake of going online last month for a better quote for mine and i never stopped getting sms messages and emails asking for my business

a nightmare....

On 14/02/2019 at 0:44 PM, Beechwood said:

I did exactly that when I first moved to N/W, works fine until a pissed drunk woman who's old man owns a huge farm in Inverness reverses into your Car, whilst it is parked outside a local shop.......................... BAM !!

Husband starts off being an arse because she tells him you hit her, he want's to claim off your Insurance, I tell him to fuck off and won't give details, he rings Ecilop and says I'm uninsured, I get a visit, the next step is insurers ask for proof of trading, purchase and sale receipts, adverts etc etc .................

I did get out of it by being a bit sharp right from the off, cops were satisfied I was insured, my Insurers were happy there was only very minor damage on my vehicle, and in the end he agreed it wasn't worth either of us losing NCD's for a few hundred quids damage to her Car, so an actual claim was never submitted, no loss of NCB, after 3 months Insurers cancelled the incident report etc :ph34r:

However I was sweating for a while and I fear it could have been a whole different ball game if I had hit someone and there were injuries !!

1) tell him how can you go into her from the damage caused ie a dent in door...

2) tell him you'll get nicked for threatening behavior and public order

3) she should have got done from dd if over limit

4) my insurers have always asked for proof of trading at start of policy. They shouldn't ask you again unless it's a twatty company like bollingtons who are robotic 

It's all long gone, done and dusted now, this was 5 or 6 years ago before I started properly Trading again up here ;)

1)   Broken Tail Lamp on my Vito, and a polishable light scuff on her Caddy Van Bumper. I fitted a good used Tail Lamp that I had from an old spares Vito I'd broke up the very next day to keep mine legal.

2)    He was initially arsey because he believed his wife, and he thought me suggesting neither of us should claim was because I was uninsured, hence he rang the Cops.

Cops visited, took details, told him I was Insured end of. Cop, at my request did not give him my Insurance details after hearing exactly what happened, and seeing no damage to my vehicle :) (I'd fixed the lamp the day after incident) so I played it all down and said there was no need for Ins Claim etc etc, which of course there wasn't.

3)   I was in a hurry and couldn't be bothered to call the Cops for what seemed like it would be an "I'll sort mine you sort yours" issue, so I gave her my Phone Number Address etc, and she did same. I told her to get hubby to ring me. 

She verbally admitted to me that it was her fault ................. but she was acting strange, later conversations with locals revealed she is a proper alky. Of course when she got home and hubby quizzed her about the damage she told him a pack of lies.

Anyway, I managed to find a witness, (girl in shop), who remebered me and that i was still inside the shop when the Caddy reversed into my Vito.

I went and and paid hubby a visit, told him I knew she was likely pissed, told him if he persisted we'd both lose NCD's, and I'd be asking the Cops to look out for her, etc etc etc

He then changed his tune and did fuck off.

4)   Yes I am with Bollingtons, agree they can be a bit robotic, but I have never had a problem with them, other than asking for Trading Proof !!

I had a big claim many many years ago and was my fault, I hit and demolished a Micra up the arse with my Discovery, they paid the guy out, (didn't ask for proof of trading back then, which of course I had), and I only lost a percentage of NCD. Been with them for many years now.

Edited by Dave2302