Hi all,

I've recently returned from 20 years living abroad, and wish to return to selling used cars.I was working from home 40 years ago and have been out of the trade that long.I am currently living in a small house with no drive but outside street parking.Selling from home is a no no? If i have to tax and re register very vehicle before sale thats not going to work really is it? I have seen a 100 sq metre warehouse on an industrial estate 5 minutes from home with outside parking for 4 cars.Rent 8k a year plus usuall expenses.I guess i could get at least 15 cars overall on the site.In your opinion is this a viable business model? Really appreciate any input,thanks........

Yeah, I think if you don't have a large detached place these days, a unit is way to go !!

Also stops all the pondlife banging at your door at 8pm because a sidelight bulb has blown 6 months after they bought from you ;)

I'm sure you already know this, but look at yr business plan, then double the ex's and halve the income, if it still stands up, go for it ;)

• Like 2

Welcome. 

The fundamentals are the same (buy a car and sell it) but the “game” has seemingly changed a lot from what the elder statesmen on here say. 

Speaking from personal experience, i’m perhaps fortunate that I didn’t experience “the good old days” and there is just “days” to me. 

Either way, doorstepper or unit (i’ve done the former, i’m doing the latter) you need to be switched on about digital marketing and how to sell cars on t’internet. 

So, that all said, if I were in your shoes and i was confident I knew what I was doing with online car sales, i’d take the doorstepper option for 6 months and keep the overheads down whilst I was getting things set up, relationships with suppliers/trades, refining adverts, working out what I was selling etc. Once I had things running in a fairly straight line and I had a little system set up i’d take on the unit and upscale the operation. 

Trading from home is fine, it’s doable. It’s not ideal, it needs a degree of patience, reasonable neighbours, heavy vetting of punters on the phone so you minimise the risk of a lunatic turning up on your door wanting to spend 3 hours crawling over the stock with his Halfords torch and diagnostics machine etc but it’s a perfectly acceptable starting point. I could never go back now I don’t think unless I had a detached property with land to build facilities but it gave me a chance to build what I have now and I am grateful I managed to do that. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EPV said:

Welcome. 

The fundamentals are the same (buy a car and sell it) but the “game” has seemingly changed a lot from what the elder statesmen on here say. 

Speaking from personal experience, i’m perhaps fortunate that I didn’t experience “the good old days” and there is just “days” to me. 

Either way, doorstepper or unit (i’ve done the former, i’m doing the latter) you need to be switched on about digital marketing and how to sell cars on t’internet. 

So, that all said, if I were in your shoes and i was confident I knew what I was doing with online car sales, i’d take the doorstepper option for 6 months and keep the overheads down whilst I was getting things set up, relationships with suppliers/trades, refining adverts, working out what I was selling etc. Once I had things running in a fairly straight line and I had a little system set up i’d take on the unit and upscale the operation. 

Trading from home is fine, it’s doable. It’s not ideal, it needs a degree of patience, reasonable neighbours, heavy vetting of punters on the phone so you minimise the risk of a lunatic turning up on your door wanting to spend 3 hours crawling over the stock with his Halfords torch and diagnostics machine etc but it’s a perfectly acceptable starting point. I could never go back now I don’t think unless I had a detached property with land to build facilities but it gave me a chance to build what I have now and I am grateful I managed to do that. 

Absolutely!

hi

epv

youve forgotten the most important thing

they have found a unit within 5 mins big enough and only £21.97 a day

units like this are gold dust, so sometimes you have to go with your gut wallet

• Like 1

Agreed, however I'm not convinced you can shoe-horn 11 cars into 100m2 so I suppose "big enough" is subjective!

I have 2200 sq ft and I can squeeze 14 in at a push, with my offices and toilets taking up 200sq ft. 

1 hour ago, EPV said:

Agreed, however I'm not convinced you can shoe-horn 11 cars into 100m2 so I suppose "big enough" is subjective!

I have 2200 sq ft and I can squeeze 14 in at a push, with my offices and toilets taking up 200sq ft. 

Hi,

your absolutely right, been to see the unit again and not possible 11 cars, but there is a slightly larger one for not much more money, by the way thanks for the input....

3 hours ago, EPV said:

Are you getting 14 cars into a 2000sqft unit? 

15 minutes ago, Del Boy said:

Are you getting 14 cars into a 2000sqft unit? 

I’m not but I could. I have 12 in at the moment and can see that i’d get another 2 in. 

I have just taken a 2000 sq ft floor area unit plus office/toilet/kitchen, I can get 11/12 in and it's costing 490 per month Inc buildings insurance.

5 minutes ago, Row said:

I have just taken a 2000 sq ft floor area unit plus office/toilet/kitchen, I can get 11/12 in and it's costing 490 per month Inc buildings insurance.

Wow, that’s cheap! Where abouts in the country are you?

1 minute ago, Ocsltd said:

Wow, that’s cheap! Where abouts in the country are you?

next to dave 303243

outer mongolia

emocicon emocicon emocicon

• Like 1

I thought it was to cheap to miss, I'm in west Yorkshire between Doncaster and Wakefield.

I’m fortunate that I have 3500 and can get 20 in with a squeeze.  I also have plenty of space outside so do not need to stuff them in... rents also cheap down here with no rates but it’s that commitment to a 4/5k break even point each month.. you need balls to commit.

OP, hold back until you are confident you can make the sales... if you are confident, it looks like good value to me... Btw welcome AD

• Like 1

Hi Beckly,

Sounds good,small unit nearbye ( no business rates ?) to get you back in to the trade.Things have changed a lot in 40 years,you will be shocked.If you can remember what to do !!   you only need to stock 10 cars to make a living.The guys on here are very helpfull.  Good luck

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, trade vet said:

Hi Beckly,

Sounds good,small unit nearbye ( no business rates ?) to get you back in to the trade.Things have changed a lot in 40 years,you will be shocked.If you can remember what to do !!   you only need to stock 10 cars to make a living.The guys on here are very helpfull.  Good luck

no rates but

SMALL BUSINESS BONUS SCHEME Businesses need to apply directly to their local council for relief under the Small Business Bonus Scheme

i plagiarised that but its the trutht

emonicon emobnicon emonicorn............