Sign in to follow this  
friar

Nissan X Trail production to leave UK.

Sad to see production leave UK,but is it because there is little demand for diesel in EU?

It's only built as a diiesel,

Or is it Brexit woes?

The way I read it is there was never a guarantee the new model would of been built in the UK anyway and it won’t affect the Quashqai production.

Downturn in diesel is probably the main reason, same with JLR, but obviously Brexit will be used as an excuse.

Anything unpredictable is not good for a business, so Brexit which of course is extremely unpredictable could have helped sway the decision.

• Like 1

Am I right in seeing they didn’t decide to make it in Europe either but Japan?

So, being mostly owned by Renault, you might have thought otherwise if a Brexit thing.

When I read the article, I thought it was just the usual headline grabbing tabloid sensationalism, but I must admit to not taking much notice now of all the Brexit stuff and scaremongering. 

Just now, Screenman said:

Anything unpredictable is not good for a business, so Brexit which of course is extremely unpredictable could have helped sway the decision.

I agree. Some news of any sort is needed. 

The Nissan Makem factory is the most efficient in Europe.They have already been told that whatever happens with Brexit they will be looked after.This is more about Nissan angling for some sort of disguised government subsidy.Jaguar are doing the same.I think sales are down until the new emission rules are established,they are also down on the £30k Leaf.In the old days at Dagenham ,the way they did it when sales were down and stock was piled up,Ford just upset the unions and they called a strike.A couple of weeks of not paying wages saved them a fortune.

• Like 1

I think it has more to do with carlos ghosn and nissan japan than we will never know,frankly without him i think they are doomed as they were 20 years ago

• Like 1

How many X-Trails Mk2 did you see on the road anyway? 

Ignore, move on.

• Like 1

Nissan quoted lack of appetite for diesel in the EU as the reason for the Xtrail going to Japan .

Not Brexit .

The papers and TV quoted Brexit , Lying beggars :angry:

Its not selling anymore  is it , that's why its going home , two more models are going to be made in the UK instead now .

Suppose they chose not to mention that though :ph34r:.

Propaganda all the way through , TV & Papers can't lay straight in bed 

9 minutes ago, twerp said:

How many X-Trails Mk2 did you see on the road anyway? 

Ignore, move on.

Agreed.. the Nissan CEO has been in jail since before Xmas; he was bringing Renault and Nissan closer to common manufacturer (merger?) had been for years - from stuff I read some time ago. Seems the orientals decided they were too far down the "becoming one" route for their liking, CEO is accused of hiding bonuses.. Maybe Nissan are using this as another reason for switching build out of EU (UK)...

Other reasons being

downturn in SUV sales

downturn in new car sales

downturn in diesel sales

Non are just a UK problem, its global

EU did a trade deal with Japan in late 2018, be interesting to see if they eventually shafts the UK and Nissan presence here.. I dont think for a moment it will have been done in UK interests foremost in their minds

This vehicle was always made it Japan, so not losing anything. However eu and japan have agreed a trade deal to reduce import tax to zero within so many years. So brexit or no Brexit it wouldn't have been manufactured in Sunderland anyway

7 minutes ago, Stephen said:

This vehicle was always made it Japan, so not losing anything. However eu and japan have agreed a trade deal to reduce import tax to zero within so many years. So brexit or no Brexit it wouldn't have been manufactured in Sunderland anyway

Well said that man,

The first X-Trail was popular, the next X-Trail was forgettable & wtf does the current X-Trail look like? One was once pointed out to me - I honestly thought it was a Qashqui. 

It’s an obsolete model in the UK & the  Sunderland plant has other cars. 

Haven’t Nissan lost their way a little? How many of the latest angular (and giant) Micras have you seen? 

6 hours ago, BHM said:

The first X-Trail was popular, the next X-Trail was forgettable & wtf does the current X-Trail look like? One was once pointed out to me - I honestly thought it was a Qashqui. 

It’s an obsolete model in the UK & the  Sunderland plant has other cars. 

Haven’t Nissan lost their way a little? How many of the latest angular (and giant) Micras have you seen? 

Same, thought it was a Qashqai+2, totally pointless