sheffieldboy123

Diesel or Petrol? - Advice please!

Hello,

Due to a change in jobs I will now be doing 1400 miles a month so will be requiring a car to travel to and from work, what would you suggest to buy diesel or petrol? and why..

Thanks,

Sheffieldboy123

5 hours ago, sheffieldboy123 said:

Due to a change in jobs I will now be doing 1400 miles a month

Diesel because they are now MUCH cheaper to buy, more reliable when used on long trips and will give you 50% more fuel economy. Oh, and their road tax is a fraction of the price compared to petrol (BMW 320D £20, Jaguar 2.0 petrol £240)

• Like 2

On 1/23/2019 at 1:05 PM, Nick M.K. said:

Diesel because they are now MUCH cheaper to buy, more reliable when used on long trips and will give you 50% more fuel economy. Oh, and their road tax is a fraction of the price compared to petrol (BMW 320D £20, Jaguar 2.0 petrol £240)

I think there is an additional factor to consider. Diesel fuel is still very polluting, in the coming years there is a real possibility of governmental action to discriminate against diesel private cars, be it via fuel tax or possible restrictions to use, or other means. Not just the UK but elsewhere too, eg France.

• Like 1

That reminds me, I must make an appointment at the dentist.

1 hour ago, BHM said:

That reminds me, I must make an appointment at the dentist.

:lol:

48 minutes ago, Casper said:

Diesel cheaper to run and good for long journeys

......unless the DPF is full, a mega expensive electronic injector buggers up, manifold swirl flaps get jammed etc. etc. then you’ll soon find that there’s more to running costs than what goes in the tank and a few quid on road tax.

Of course, this is assuming the lad from Sheffield is still looking 9 months later! :lol:

On 9/25/2019 at 12:26 PM, BHM said:

......unless the DPF is full, a mega expensive electronic injector buggers up, manifold swirl flaps get jammed etc. etc. then you’ll soon find that there’s more to running costs than what goes in the tank and a few quid on road tax.

Of course, this is assuming the lad from Sheffield is still looking 9 months later! :lol:

I agree bhm as you say about diesel and dpf I've mostly found it cars on short journeys I sooner have a diesel at 3 years old that's run up and down the motorway with 120k than one Mildred has been taking to her local Asda with 20k the old mileage myth when customers think everything self distructs at 100k 

I assumed he would be using the car on longer journeys giving the car time to get up to temperature etc and be able to do the regeneration cycle 

a neighbour had a little diesel clio and only does about 4 k a year miles and asked me the same question when he was replacing it a 4 years I advised him to buy.a small petrol model . Which I noticed he has done with a corsa ..

unrelated but an another neighbour  asked me to find them a small diesel They said they didn't want it coming from auction and as everything in the auction is rubbish so I polity declined they ended up buying from a pretend dealer advertising as private on gumtree car hadn't been taxed for 3 months etc I'll never get some people 

Edited by Casper

On 4/19/2019 at 7:10 AM, Ult1mat3X said:

I think there is an additional factor to consider. Diesel fuel is still very polluting, in the coming years there is a real possibility of governmental action to discriminate against diesel private cars, be it via fuel tax or possible restrictions to use, or other means. Not just the UK but elsewhere too, eg France.

I agree with that. Everyone is fighting against poluation, even the cars manufacturers do it and in a few years we'll have a lot of restriction when it comes to the type of fuel our car uses.

On 4/19/2019 at 5:10 AM, Ult1mat3X said:

think there is an additional factor to consider. Diesel fuel is still very polluting, in the coming years there is a real possibility of governmental action to discriminate against diesel private cars, be it via fuel tax or possible restrictions to use, or other means. Not just the UK but elsewhere too, eg France.

Always get a horse couldn't he or do they fart to much ,as well as cows and sheep . Could walk i suppose , but the lack of cows will delete the amount of leather we use too . Synthetic shoes use oil so they are out , oh well bear skin shoes or reindeer shoes it is then , MMMMMM None of those in the UK . Going to be some weird and wonderful options in a while isn't there .

Meantime he wants a V8 Petrol , turn off the radio and have fun before they TAX laughing too . 

8 hours ago, FlorenceDude said:

agree with that. Everyone is fighting against poluation, even the cars manufacturers do it and in a few years we'll have a lot of restriction when it comes to the type of fuel our car uses

My reply fits this one too :lol:

On 12/9/2019 at 6:29 PM, David Horgan said:

Always get a horse couldn't he or do they fart to much ,as well as cows and sheep . Could walk i suppose , but the lack of cows will delete the amount of leather we use too . Synthetic shoes use oil so they are out , oh well bear skin shoes or reindeer shoes it is then , MMMMMM None of those in the UK . Going to be some weird and wonderful options in a while isn't there .

Meantime he wants a V8 Petrol , turn off the radio and have fun before they TAX laughing too . 

David, if only you had known back in 12/2019 how accurate that was, although like me you probably did know that back then :lol:

I mean ........................

Sure we all knew writing was on the wall, but bugger me for the speed of the outcome .....................................

That was the whole reason for the "invention of covid", just look at how many stupid new laws etc slipped through during the past 2 years because everyone was too busy working out how to get exemptions from wearing their masks, or too scared to set foot outta their house !!

Now no fucker has a choice in anything any more, (well not long term anyhow) ;)

Even those that were not multi millionaires but still pretty well self sufficient financially are now not so sure bearing in mind the current state of the world, it's not just the UK ;)

Even my very successful and good mate in this trade :ph34r: has sold his Helicopter and downgraded to a Plane :wacko:

Call me a conspiricist if you like, but it's all coming true now :rolleyes:

Anyone wanna invest in a Petrol / Diesel zero emissions "replacement Fuel" Mfr Plant ;)

Edited by Dave2302

2 hours ago, Dave2302 said:

David, if only you had known back in 12/2019 how accurate that was, although like me you probably did know that back then :lol:

I mean ........................

Sure we all knew writing was on the wall, but bugger me for the speed of the outcome .....................................

That was the whole reason for the "invention of covid", just look at how many stupid new laws etc slipped through during the past 2 years because everyone was too busy working out how to get exemptions from wearing their masks, or too scared to set foot outta their house !!

Now no fucker has a choice in anything any more, (well not long term anyhow) ;)

Even those that were not multi millionaires but still pretty well self sufficient financially are now not so sure bearing in mind the current state of the world, it's not just the UK ;)

Even my very successful and good mate in this trade :ph34r: has sold his Helicopter and downgraded to a Plane :wacko:

Call me a conspiricist if you like, but it's all coming true now :rolleyes:

Anyone wanna invest in a Petrol / Diesel zero emissions "replacement Fuel" Mfr Plant ;)

I am a sceptic Dave , Saw it coming I did ,  I say I saw it coming :lol: