Read an interesting article about a BMW which was refused warranty work as the vehicle had not been serviced using genuine BMW Parts

It seems they paid out in the end. I get the feeling some dealer don't like doing warranty work because it doesn't pay as well as retail work. Also the dealer can get stung badly if they don't follow the exact process laid down by the manufacturer. I've heard countless stories of my customers getting treated very badly in relation to cars under manufactures warranty with some of the excuses given to try and charge them are laughable. Ford seems very good at offering bad service local to myself. I get the feeling it's sometimes internal politics which are causing the customer to get ripped off, dealer doesn't follow the process for warranty work, manufacture refuses to pay the dealer, dealer tries to charge customer. 

I guess the reason to refuse the work initially was that they felt the oil filter caused the issue rather than the fact non-OE parts had been fitted to the car in itself.

I've seen a few instances of warranty claims being turned down when cars have been serviced outside the dealer network,  but usually they focus on oil specifications rather than the parts themselves.  If the owner or servicing garage can't prove that they used an oil with the correct OEM approvals then they can technically invalidate most engine related claims, but if you make enough of a fuss they will often reverse the decision where it isn't totally black and white because of the risk of bad PR and reputation damage among their big fleet customers.

lot of politics involved with claims, we tend to use genuine parts to avoid any issues later on - just in case [ Also found in majority of cases the genuine parts are actually cheaper than non genuine anyway] 

I do find it quite strange that some customers spend £30/35k on a new car then take it to Kwik fit [ Nothing against Kwik fit ] But why would you ? 

I do find it quite strange that some customers spend £30/35k on a new car then take it to Kwik fit [ Nothing against Kwik fit ] But why would you ? 

​Because, as always, they know best and we're just after their wallets, Umesh.

Don't get me started on warranty companies. I've just changed companies because the firm I was using was refusing claims on named components, citing wear & tear. The new company probably won't be much better but I don't have a lot of options until I build up a warranty pot & self insure.