Sign in to follow this  
CCC

Lawgistics

Hi,

Over the last 12 months we’ve used a mix of paid for warranties (customers not local to us, or riskier cars) and self-warranting. From reading posts here Lawgistics seems a good mid way solution but I can’t quite work out how it works from their website.

Can anyone explain it in simple terms and what are the downsides?

Many Thanks

I may be wrong but from what I've read They basically take a monthly fee from you which goes into your "claims pot" then if you get a claim they will give guidance and representation if required and get it sorted for you

Just search lawgistivs on here there's a few threads about it

Just now, MrV said:

I may be wrong but from what I've read They basically take a monthly fee from you which goes into your "claims pot" then if you get a claim they will give guidance and representation if required and get it sorted for you

Not quite. Actually, not at all.

You have two options, self administrated or administrated.

Self administrated - You pay LG £x per brochure, you give this to your punter and register the warranty on their intranet. In the event of a claim, you sort the warranty claim yourself.

Administrated - As above but they take a fee and manage the claim on your behalf.

In both instances you pay the bills, whether than comes as and when, or you put a bit of money by per sale is up to you. 

From our experience there is no downside to self administering. If you sell lots of stuff to people outside of your local area it might be different.

• Like 1

A self administered warranty will save you money, compared to paying for an insurance backed policy. At the end of the day, if a justifiable CRA problem occurs it’s your responsibility to pay anyway.

I currently believe it’s not in my interest to offer a warranty because on older cars you are just inviting complaints, however that doesn’t mean I might not in the future. 

Thanks. Sounds like lawgistics for local and paid for national is the way to go. The purpose of the warranty is to cover ourselves for CRA level risks within the first 3 months. 

2 hours ago, CCC said:

Thanks. Sounds like lawgistics for local and paid for national is the way to go. The purpose of the warranty is to cover ourselves for CRA level risks within the first 3 months. 

What's the problem with Lawgistics warranty for national customers?  We put Lawgistics warranty on every car we sell. We have very few claims but if there is an issue the customer can take the car to any VAT registered garage in the UK.  We pay the garage directly as necessary as long as the cost is reasonable and what you would expect for the repair, but Lawgistics manage the claim with you anyway. We have never had any issues with customers being unhappy with the service that Lawgistics warranty offer both on a local and national basis.

9 hours ago, MOTORS said:

What's the problem with Lawgistics warranty for national customers?  We put Lawgistics warranty on every car we sell. We have very few claims but if there is an issue the customer can take the car to any VAT registered garage in the UK.  We pay the garage directly as necessary as long as the cost is reasonable and what you would expect for the repair, but Lawgistics manage the claim with you anyway. We have never had any issues with customers being unhappy with the service that Lawgistics warranty offer both on a local and national basis.

Hadn’t understood that bit. In that case will do nationally. It was more about trying to avoid managing the claim remotely. Thanks again 

10 hours ago, MOTORS said:

So do LG simply act for you within the  CRA parameters, or do they advise you on each claim ? How does it specifically work ? 

15 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

So do LG simply act for you within the  CRA parameters, or do they advise you on each claim ? How does it specifically work ? 

Two options: 

1) You buy a £5 warranty booklet, fill it in with customer's details at the time of sale. In the event of a problem the customer contacts YOU directly and you personally handle everything. This is what I have always done. 

2) You buy a £5 warranty booklet, fill it in with customer's details at the time of sale. In the event of a problem the customer contacts a helpline phone number run by Lawgistics. The operators will (try to) check if the claim is valid - within the time, mileage, claims limits specified and for a covered part. If it's not valid they will tell the customer that. If it is valid they will probably get the customer to get in touch with you. 

It gives you a lot of control and a lot of options in the event of a fault AND covers you against claims that you should have no liability for. 

I use the warranty booklets yes. 

If you've never seen one I can send you one in the post. My treat. 

17 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

The customer contacts LG to make a claim. The LG warranty is in addition to CRA parameters. LG warranty admin confirm to the customer whether the claim is valid or not (the part is covered / within mileage parameters etc). Whether the claim is valid or not LG discuss each claim with me and we can authorise the repair up to the claim limit if valid, or agree a gesture of goodwill payment for say 50% of the repair if the part is not covered, if that is appropriate at the time - Or if the claim is so outside the parameters of a valid claim we can agree to decline the claim which LG handle. Out of several hundred warranties issued we have only had a handful of claims for such things as wheel bearing, starter motor and battery. Batteries are not covered by the warranty but we have authorised such claims as gestures of goodwill.

Basically LG will advise you on all claims. On the ones that are not valid it's up to you how you deal with them

1 minute ago, MOTORS said:

Out of several hundred warranties issued we have only had a handful of claims for such things as wheel bearing, starter motor and battery. Batteries are not covered by the warranty but we have authorised such claims as gestures of goodwill.

Exactly the same statistic here, several payouts for starter motors, alternators, water pumps (all on BMWs), a couple of clutches and several batteries out of goodwill. 

Ok guys, but do you think its a good idea on my type of stock, older leggy etc ? or, am I asking for trouble....... 

Some of mine are similar. If you give 3 months / 3000 miles with a claims limit of around £500-£1000 (depending on car value) you still have very limited exposure. If the car has 170000 miles give them 1 month / 1000 miles or even no warranty for example. 

The thing is, you get the comeback in the event of a fault anyway (like the Audi in the other thread). The warranty wouldn't cover that fuel sender unit for example but you are covering it anyway out of goodwill and I think you can at least trial a "warranty scheme" on some of your stock, doesn't have to be across the board. 

We offer 3 months on engine/gearbox for mechanical failure. The reality is we cover lots of things as a goodwill gesture.

It’s a tricky conversation when someone asks about warranty to say it doesn’t come with one - but you have your CRA rights. Stupid really as there CRA rights are much greater in reality - but there’s a danger in highlighting the CRA too much imo.