Sign in to follow this  
Raj M

Workshop symbol on dash BMW 320D

Hi,

What does workshop/ car over ramp symbol on dash means in Bmw 320D 2011 model. Is this a remainder for service or service overdue???

Thanks,

:rolleyes:

errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrm let me see, I'll have to go and google that one 

:lol:

You will need to see if its a Condition Based Service reminder?

We occasionally get them for EGR or DPF faults too (Without EML on dash too)

8 minutes ago, Raj M said:

OK then battery needs replacing

No! 

When the car is standing around the voltage drops. The ECU sees this is flashes a reminder. When the car is driven longer or when the battery is charged with a charger the warning will not appear. 

Is it on all the time or just briefly when you start the car? 

1 hour ago, Stalker said:

You will need to see if its a Condition Based Service reminder?

We occasionally get them for EGR or DPF faults too (Without EML on dash too)

Absolutely, it's like "Visit Workshop" message on an MB, it could be a whole heap of things, including service or a low battery ;) 

The more intelligent Mercs actually say "Coolant Visit Workshop" / "ABS Visit Workshop" / "Battery Visit Workshop" / "Airmatic Visit Workshop" etc etc etc

The New MB's actually send a message to MB and they can access the Fault Codes Data etc via "The Cloud" wherever the fuck "The Cloud" may be, usually over the owners head :lol: 

• Like 2

talking of clouds i was once walking down the street and it started to chuck it down i crossed the street and it was still sunshining

never found a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow though:wacko:

lol :lol:

It often rains at the back of our house and the sun is shining, bone dry at the front of the house

8 minutes ago, boring dave said:

my lada just gave a nice red glow from the dash when the dynamo packed in

My Range Rover gave a nice warm red glow from the whole Car when it accidentally caught fire many moons ago

I have a 2009 1 series in the corner of my unit, where it has been for about 10 days since it was moved in. I went round starting all the cars yesterday for 10 mins to top up the batteries and the same light came on. As said, it's probably a drop in voltage and a run and charge will sort it.

23 minutes ago, EPV said:

I have a 2009 1 series in the corner of my unit, where it has been for about 10 days since it was moved in. I went round starting all the cars yesterday for 10 mins to top up the batteries and the same light came on. As said, it's probably a drop in voltage and a run and charge will sort it.

I used to be keen like that.

31 minutes ago, EPV said:

I moved two Bmw’s This morning both with car on ramp message, it’s the lack of use charge battery message....

See, on any BM's I have had with a battery voltage issue due to being stood, it puts an amber battery symbol up.  I am sure the ramp is just a service indicator, either due or overdue.

I am happy to be corrected of course as I may be confusing my cars.  If the symbol turns red then it requires immediate attention.

Edited by Mark101

Thanks guys for the tips, though the real culprit was ''brake pad sensor'',  the car on ramp symbol has now disappeared :rolleyes:

5 hours ago, Rory RSC said:

I used to be keen like that.

More like now you have someone to do it for you, King fkin Rory. Must be nice...

Everyone has given a correct answer, like I said earlier it can mean any number of things, it is just telling you to "Visit Workshop", which means to be certain what it is lit up for you get it scanned and fix whatever is wrong, be that due for service, battery voltage low, brake pad wear, turd on the back seat ;) etc etc etc :lol:

This means when it is on and the owner heeds it the main Stealers and the likes of me can sell a 1hr Diagnostiactionmabob :D