Sign in to follow this  
Mojo121

BCA fees

Anyone else noticed they've had a hike in fees?

£1800 bid now comes out the door at £2003. Absolutely disgraceful and will only result in lower results for their vendors. Apparently staff aren't meant to highlight it. My question is how are they allowed to increase them like this and not announce them?

I agree.I think a large PLC service company like BCA have a duty to inform all their customers including buyers account card holders of any changes to their fees.You could always complain to the London Stock Exchange just incase BCA have broken any of their rules.I think they may have been warned recently by the authorities about hidden charges with WBAC.

Price hike with immediate effect on 28th Nov.

In Preston they have both the old and new pricing sign up so I will take a picture on Monday and post it here for you guys to compare.

Amazing how BCA and Manhiem seem to have got away with this over the years, yet we all know what happens when AT do the same thing.

We could all do something about it, but nah, we all just bend over a little further.

• Like 1

fattening up company to sell it? Fees were piss taking before, who’ll cough up in a tighter market? Or do they expect it to feed through to higher used values?

It's simply not worth buying from the auction anymore, especially when you pay for the extra AA mechanical report and it's got a rattling flywheel and bca simply try to weasel out of the complaint. 

24 minutes ago, Tanna said:

It's simply not worth buying from the auction anymore, especially when you pay for the extra AA mechanical report and it's got a rattling flywheel and bca simply try to weasel out of the complaint. 

To be fair I had a flywheel issue this week and the car is now on it's way back. Not the first time this has happened.  Surecheck on the other hand, the words chocolate and fireguard spring to mind.

It annoyed me at first when they wouldn't have fees on display except the public fees ...

It would be better business practice if they had fees up so buyers had an incentive to purchase more cars if they could see fee difference from card to card.

Sly and cunning

• Like 1

I started not that long ago, almost 14 years (others here have been around much longer). 

A £2500 car at BCA had a Gold buyers fee of £70-£80. A £3995 sale in those days had a reasonable margin. 

8 hours ago, ExCouncilJobsworth said:

It annoyed me at first when they wouldn't have fees on display except the public fees ...

It would be better business practice if they had fees up so buyers had an incentive to purchase more cars if they could see fee difference from card to card.

Sly and cunning

I agree.Someone I know was going to bid over C/clean for a late Range Rover.He thought he better check the fees first,I think he has a platinum card.It was nearly £900 !

1 hour ago, Nick M.K. said:

I started not that long ago, almost 14 years (others here have been around much longer). 

A £2500 car at BCA had a Gold buyers fee of £70-£80. A £3995 sale in those days had a reasonable margin. 

Absolutely. I was looking at old purchase invoices earlier in the year and it's eye watering how these fees have gone up, and because the big boys have put them up the little boys have followed. I imagine DA fees will be into three figures soon enough.

Nick, out of interest what type of fees are you paying at your price level?

4 minutes ago, trade vet said:

I agree.Someone I know was going to bid over C/clean for a late Range Rover.He thought he better check the fees first,I think he has a platinum card.It was nearly £900 !

And for that pleasure he's not actually guaranteed that the vehicle will be free of finance at the time of purchase.

4 minutes ago, sparky said:

Nick, out of interest what type of fees are you paying at your price level?

on BCA Gold: 

£327 on £13800 for example and £384 on £18000. On the £18K car it is actually £320 + VAT on the invoice as the car was VAT Qualifying. Very reasonable comparing it to £2K cars!

10 hours ago, ExCouncilJobsworth said:

Sly and cunning

When we first got our trade card we asked bca if they could give us a list of buyers fees between levels of cards and they refused. All they said to us was “the more you spend the more you save”

11 hours ago, ExCouncilJobsworth said:

Sly and cunning

Yep they only have the tariff visible for private buyers to comply with consumer laws. 

Outrageous that they hold such contempt for the trade who make up 99.9% of sales. 

Edited by twerp

This is exactly why as a newbie it makes more financial sense to use an "auction buying service" with someone who is a black etc card holder

I still think that you should be buying privately mostly.  Less chance of catching a cold. Especially as you only need a couple at a time

2 hours ago, Nick M.K. said:

on BCA Gold: 

£327 on £13800 for example and £384 on £18000. On the £18K car it is actually £320 + VAT on the invoice as the car was VAT Qualifying. Very reasonable comparing it to £2K cars!

My last purchase was £3850, on that the fee was £250 (platinum). The sliding scale with fees has always been odd, but the increases in fees we have seen really highlight this.

Do we have a car dealer association? If yes, we probably can do something with this.  For example, in the USA, the car dealer association even makes the law prohibited manufacturers sale car. All cars must be sold by the car dealer! This is the power of the industry association.

If we could have an association, so we can challenge some company like BCA, AT, etc. Regarding in price, terms, etc. We can make the best deal for our car dealer member.

Edited by Lucas

3 hours ago, Lucas said:

Do we have a car dealer association? If yes, we probably can do something with this.  For example, in the USA, the car dealer association even makes the law prohibited manufacturers sale car. All cars must be sold by the car dealer! This is the power of the industry association.

If we could have an association, so we can challenge some company like BCA, AT, etc. Regarding in price, terms, etc. We can make the best deal for our car dealer member.

Free market economy?

The auction houses make huge amounts of money out of 'private/small timers', they know what side their bread is buttered.

Edited by met

If anyone has purchased vans... You'd know the fees are even more for the same bracket!

Why? Most vans come without service...

The only plus side is most vans come with additional pics showing damage

Plus the rip off online fee...if anything people should be charged attending the auction. Not using the live online service!

In the future you could have an online only auction... And you wouldn't need to pay an auctioneer a salary.

Edited by ExCouncilJobsworth

9 minutes ago, ExCouncilJobsworth said:

Plus the rip off online fee...if anything people should be charged attending the auction. Not using the live online service!

I also think online should be a discount. 

Still, could be much worse...

Imagine if Ryanair did car auctions....

5 minutes ago, ExCouncilJobsworth said:

If anyone has purchased vans... You'd know the fees are even more for the same bracket!

Why? Most vans come without service...

The only plus side is most vans come with additional pics showing damage

In the future you could have an online only auction... And you wouldn't need to pay an auctioneer a salary.

Yes, I've always thought the online fee thing is strange. They are charging you for saving them money?

I remember years ago when manheim introduced online buying. I think it was at Knottingley (a smaller auction if you don’t know it), but wherever it was, the online was being trialled.

I honestly overheard the ‘I.T. woman’ say something along the lines of “We’ll introduce a charge cos they’re in the comfort of their home & we’ll get away with an additional fee” - I remember looking at another trader :rolleyes:. Anyway I don’t know which auction house introduced online bidding, or fees, first but that’s the attitude & tbh they do get away with it.

If I’m reincarnated I’ll open my own auction house.