Sign in to follow this  
Glevum

Mini Gearbox broken - warranty claim ??

I sold a part exchange 2005/05 mini cooper 1.6 manual that had 100,044 miles on it. It was extremely clean and had excellent service history. I explained to the customer that we give a 3 month breakdown mechanical warranty for the major mechanical items. 4 month's and 3700 miles later the gearbox has broken and the customer limped it into her local garage. She then phoned us up hysterically "ranting on" that we had sold her a faulty car and demanded that we speak to her garage and pay for the repair. I spoke to that garage and the gearbox casing was smashed with oil leaking and it needed a replacement. I told her that she's unfortunatley out of warranty but she then started ranting her 6 month's "fit for purpose" statutory rights as a consumer and said that unless we collect, repair and return it to her at no cost to herself then she will go to trading standards. Where do I stand because if it goes to court as we all know that I will be judged as one of those foul cheating car dealers that we are percieved as and I will obviously lose. I have suggested that she could contributr something and she basically spat in my face. Shall I just tell her to "bring it on" ??

Four months and nearly 4000 miles .... pretty obvious fault wasn't there at point of sale , don't roll over to easy .