Sign in to follow this  
Contracts

Spare Key Game

£752 + VAT.... for a key!

Am going to stand on but I was expecting the normal £300 + VAT.  

Apparently 2017 onwards JLR need a new key control module when you code in a new key.  

Expensive lesson learnt.

11 minutes ago, Contracts said:

£752 + VAT.... for a key!

Am going to stand on but I was expecting the normal £300 + VAT.  

Apparently 2017 onwards JLR need a new key control module when you code in a new key.  

Expensive lesson learnt.

Wow, that’s outrageous daylight robbery. 

I’ve never paid for spare key to be made up, mr billy you only need one key, two is a bonus.....

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Wow, that’s outrageous daylight robbery. 

I’ve never paid for spare key to be made up, mr billy you only need one key, two is a bonus.....

£750 + vat ,that needs to go on Twitter or whatever.

2 minutes ago, Scooby who said:

You could buy an actual whole complete car for that

And it'll probably come with 2 keys as well!! :)

• Like 1

Or you can get the Key Experts "EEPROMER" Man to unlock the Module and a make you a new key at a more sensible price ;)

I'd be interested to know if JLR can do this without needing a new module, if you were nearer me I'd give you a free hour on JLR to see if it's an option ;) 

4 hours ago, Dave2302 said:

I'd be interested to know if JLR can do this without needing a new module, if you were nearer me I'd give you a free hour on JLR to see if it's an option

Similar to my M-B Becker Map Pilot Sat Nav that needed a PIN number. The dealer said new Becker nav module required, £400ish. It actually took 2 minutes on SDS to simply remove the stored PIN from the memory and to make the unit completely functional again. 

Hi all, been reading the posts a while now and keep meaning to get my intro done. Just throwing in on the JLR post. The recent versions of JLR's software won't allow a key to be added to an already used security module. It has to be replaced new and with the latest firmware installed. They had a security breach on the old setup allowing keys to be programmed in. This forces a new module with stronger firmware to be installed...

8 minutes ago, DigitalAutos said:

This forces a new module with stronger firmware to be installed...

Does this mean that you actually need 2 brand new keys plus one new module as the old second key will presumably stop working with a new module?

I'm under the impression that two new keys and controller must be added now, providing your using JLR diagnostic setup. I believe AVDI can get around it but I've not used it and this system is not cheap either. Apparently since 2016 JLR have been updating the software to certain Keyless vehicles before delivery to stop the adaption of new fobs/keys. There's probably other systems out there that can also get round this now but going the JLR route is expensive.

Taken from another site..

bulletin which explains this Q491v5

As of 30th March 2015, and the release of DVD 141 Patch 4 (and later releases), all of the above vehicles have a software update applied to the 'Start Authorisation System' at PDI, which makes their Remote Function Actuator (RFA) 'read only'.
After this point, should an owner require added key fobs (due to loss etc.), the RFA will require replacement. As previously, the customer will still be liable for the key fob, cutting of the mechanical key blade, and programming of the RFA, but not the cost of the new RFA itself. This bulletin therefore exists to cover the cost of procurement and fitting of a new RFA to make sure that customers are not disadvantaged by this product enhancement.
Where a customer requires a replacement key, the affected vehicles will need adding to bulletinQ491.

Thanks for that info ;)

My JLR is very new, so no doubt it will not do the Keys then :(