Sign in to follow this  
Froo1975

Advice needed: driving without insurance

I have just been caught driving without insurance and as I am a newly qualified driver, I think I will receive a driving disqualification. Is there anything that I can do to stop this from happening?

The car that I was driving was a courtesy car and it turns out that the garage that lent it to me had either:
- Insured the car before it showed up on the police system
- Not insured the car at all

I am not trying to shun the responsibility, as ultimately I am responsible for the car that I drive.

It's just annoying that I bought a car, insured it then that car broke down and I lose my license because the Garage hadn't correctly insured the courtesy car. These things happen though of course and I count myself lucky that I was not involved in an accident as an uninsured driver.

My question is, considering these details what will probably happen, and what is the worst case scenario for what could happen?

Thank you

You need to get legal advice if you get a notice of intended prosecution.

”The car that I was driving was a courtesy car and it turns out that the garage that lent it to me had either:
- Insured the car before it showed up on the police system
- Not insured the car at all”

Or they told you to insure it yourself. Because most garages won’t want a newly qualified driver on their insurance.

Did you sign a document when they gave you the car and did you get a copy?

4 hours ago, Froo1975 said:

My question is, considering these details what will probably happen, and what is the worst case scenario for what could happen?

Jail time & you end up being Mr. Big’s bitch :lol:

3 hours ago, BHM said:

Like :)

First of all contact your own insurance company / broker and ask them the question "Was I insured driving a car that I did not own???"

You may be pleasantly surprised if they say yes. 

Second, ask the garage that supplied the vehicle IF it was taxed and then the million dollar question: IF it was indeed taxed why wasn't it on the MID database where it would've shown as insured on their trade / courtesy / demonstration cover. They have responsibility to add it on the MID irrespective if YOU are insured or not. 

8 hours ago, BHM said:

You'll never walk the same again..............

Caught as in stopped by the Police and summoned to court?

A lot more information would be needed, and don't quote me on this, however I believe there is allowance within the law where there are circumstances where you can reasonably expect a car to be insured, these would include amongst other things:

-Hire Cars

-Courtesy Vehicles provided by a garage

-Company owned vehicles such as vans or other commercial or company vehicles

Where you can reasonably expect that the car would have been insured, you would not be guilty of the offence of driving without insurance. For example you would not ask a hire car company to show you their certificate of insurance before you took the hire car away. You would not necessarily ask your employer to show you their certificate of insurance before you drove a company van. A police officer similarly would not ask to see a certificate of insurance from the police service when they take a police vehicle out in the morning for a shift. They assume that it would be insured. 

Obviously this only extends to instances where you can reasonably expect the car to be insured by another, and a courtesy vehicle should fall into this. UNLESS you have signed something or made some other assertion that you have insured the car yourself.

Probably best to seek some legal advice though, and the above is only my understanding of the law. I am happy to be corrected.

There is a trade insurance requirement to add a taxed car to MID. What insurance do car repair garages usually have? 

Hi Froo1975, Didnt you ask the same question at Rac forum january 2018 ? 

19 minutes ago, DPF said:

Hi Froo1975, Didnt you ask the same question at Rac forum january 2018 ? 

The post if clearly copied from elsewhere with that particular formatting.

Also, his username. 1975 implying birthdate but recently passed ? Right...