Hi All,

Really struggling this week to buy any worth the money stock, anyone else having the same issue?

We're using A4C, Dealer, Sytner, Local Auctions and trawling through private ad's and I've only managed to buy 1 in the past 10 days, was hoping to buy 4/5! We can stock around 25-28 here and we're currently only holding around 19. The majority, priced between £2500 to £6500.

I work backwards on everything so I've made a spreadsheet where I can input my screen price, prep&collection costs and that will give me my max bid. Not sure if I'm pricing too cheap or trying to be too greedy with my margins but I'm struggling. Watching between 40-60 daily online, probably bid on 10 p day avg but no luck! Anyone else in the same boat or have any guidance?

Thanks

-Kelly-

Welcome to the motor trade I’m afraid! Selling is (often) the easy part. You make your profit buying. 

You can try BCA, Manheim etc obviously but it’s no easier on there I can assure you. 

Snap.

I went to a local auction yesterday & saw much going at retail prices.

As for online bidders, Manheim are going to send a couple of them some right old scrap with knackered engines. Strong bids, but what online can’t hear are knocking engines etc.

Thanks both.

I knew buying would be the hardest part just wasn't expecting it to be this hard. I can't understand how some people can afford to pay the prices they are paying. 

Exactly the same here everything seems to be fetching very strong money and slightly short on stock.

Saying that I would rather hang tight than have overpriced stock I'll still be looking at in 3 months time. 

2 minutes ago, RJEauto said:

Thanks both.

I knew buying would be the hardest part just wasn't expecting it to be this hard. I can't understand how some people can afford to pay the prices they are paying. 

They’re either working for peanuts, have a massive ‘extended family’ if you know what I mean, are not paying VAT or are desperate to buy/have stocking plans that they don’t know how to manage properly and will pop eventually. 

“Many are called, few are chosen Terry”

• Like 3

Yet there are at least two forumites off here that have recently said that buying has been a lot easier lately. 

YMMV!

Plus there are thousands of bored traders in the same boat, and each will bid ‘just that bit more, another fifty quid...’ and repeat. 

I managed to buy some fantastic great value stock at the beginning of the month but just like selling it seems to come in waves. 

Just now, James01 said:

I managed to buy some fantastic great value stock at the beginning of the month but just like selling it seems to come in waves. 

Spot on.

Our local has about 100 in tomorrow, typically we list 15 and end up with 5 of them. We can't even find one car to mark down on the list. Had a busy month so could do with stock but we all know what it's like this time of year.

18 minutes ago, David Ayers said:

Spot on.

+1

100 cars a day? 

And here is me doing 20-30 kilometres of walking on an auction day at Blackbushe. 

1500 average daily entries. Some very expensive, others DIRT cheap. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RJEauto said:

Thanks both.

You wait to see what happens in January. As smashy and nicey once said, you ain't seen nothing yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NOACROSS said:

They’re either working for peanuts, have a massive ‘extended family’ if you know what I mean, are not paying VAT or are desperate to buy/have stocking plans that they don’t know how to manage properly and will pop eventually. 

“Many are called, few are chosen Terry”

Extended family. Haha.

I've got space for 3-4 but not managed to buy anything this week.

Got a reasonably price Qashqai from Sytner last week though.

Bought two today, one for cap clean the other cap average. Assuming they won’t need much other than standard prep I can’t not make a decent profit. There’s bargains about....

Bought 2 out of UKCG trade section today.He who dares etc. 59 XC70 Volvo D5 big miles,nav,leather.good history,44+tip and a cheapie 56 C2 Citroen,30k,one owner,950+tip.( how much !,I can hear)....both of them are OK and ready to go,how lucky was that !

It must be where we are but we get some really strange cars from locals, today a chap rings, would you like to buy my Kia mentor (I’ve never heard of the bloody thing and there’s none on trader) 16k miles, automatic on a 52 plate, he wanted £600......dealer auction that would make a grand at least

1 hour ago, EPV said:

Bought two today, one for cap clean the other cap average. Assuming they won’t need much other than standard prep I can’t not make a decent profit. There’s bargains about....

You're right, just difficult to find them!

I better start looking harder I think :blink:

past year dealers aint sold the  full target new car sales are 20% down........................  thats 20% less used stock so same number of dealers are after smaller numbers of stock, Ad to that larger pitches with stocking plans they are almost forced to pay "whatever" price to keep there business model workable,

Additionally everyone who is not in the trade seems to be in the trade you have a look at the taxis the builders the plumbers down your local auction house, These  guys  work for beer tokens £100-£200 is all they scrap for, no tax no prep no warranty ect, Loads of  eastern Europeans are also there too being  gangster paying  no taxes no VAT its depressing as  Legit businesses  are having to pay more than these undeclared hustlers are paying

The price range you are at is also where mot in trade would be, "price range" cars  get them in and out..............  start again

I have also found is seriously hard the last 4 weeks to buy good stock sensible prices everything is way over  clean and its just suicide to bid against those people, I use the same places as you have mentioned, 

34 minutes ago, Blenheim Car Sales said:

past year dealers aint sold the  full target new car sales are 20% down........................  thats 20% less used stock so same number of dealers are after smaller numbers of stock, Ad to that larger pitches with stocking plans they are almost forced to pay "whatever" price to keep there business model workable,

Additionally everyone who is not in the trade seems to be in the trade you have a look at the taxis the builders the plumbers down your local auction house, These  guys  work for beer tokens £100-£200 is all they scrap for, no tax no prep no warranty ect, Loads of  eastern Europeans are also there too being  gangster paying  no taxes no VAT its depressing as  Legit businesses  are having to pay more than these undeclared hustlers are paying

The price range you are at is also where mot in trade would be, "price range" cars  get them in and out..............  start again

I have also found is seriously hard the last 4 weeks to buy good stock sensible prices everything is way over  clean and its just suicide to bid against those people, I use the same places as you have mentioned, 

Boohoo. Who cares. Seriously. Loads of stuffs unfair I wouldnt waste a single second going on about it just focus on doing what you do and do it to the best of your ability. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rory RSC said:

Boohoo. Who cares. Seriously. Loads of stuffs unfair I wouldnt waste a single second going on about it just focus on doing what you do and do it to the best of your ability. 

:lol:

Image result for shot down in flames

As has been said on here so many times, buying is the hardest part of the job.

I buy quite a few private, have a little ad in the local rag saying i buy cars for cash with full history. Do 3-4 a month from that.

• Like 1

And heres me thinking by following a few videos on YouTube I'd be a successful car trader HAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!! 

• Like 1