Sign in to follow this  
P118

M.O.T ADVISORY

So took a 2008 corsa d for M.O.T today still had a ticket valid until march 2019 with no advisories

Car passes with 1 advisory inspection light on?

so the INSP light where the miles show is now an advisory? I am aware this means its due a service or on some newer models you get INSP 2 which means a bulb may be blown ect?

best bit is I just had my mechanic service it and he hadn't reset the light NOT HAPPY and I have let him no, but these things happen what I cant understand how it falls under an advisory trying to explain to a customer what that light was is going to be fun. 

Edited by P118

Don’t see the problem. With explaining to a customer.

It shows the car was due a service and you have now had it serviced.

Im not sure it should have been an advisory though

I know its annoying,However you can expalin to your customer how through the MOT tester is as they picked up on the service light as part of the MOT and of course you've had the car serviced after the MOT etc etc .... The customer will not even question it!. think you're worrying too much in my opinion.

when you guys put it like that it doesn't seem all that bad:lol:

My MOT Guy just called in to get a Code Read on his 4x4, he is pissing himself, "Fucking twat advised that !!" was his comment :rolleyes:

However, he did say since this years new regs came in a lot more is now "In the opinion of the tester" so I'm guessing your guy is a real anal one.

BTW another of my pet hates is Mechanics / Garages who do not reset Service Indicators when they Service a Car, or don't Erase a Fault Code once fixed :(

That is a part of the bloody job !!

And don't get me started on the absolute morons who do "Diagnosis" by pulling Wiring Plugs off while it's running "to see if it makes any difference mate" .......................

Then the Car ends up at a decent Garage with a few hundred Codes and CAN Bus errors in it :angry:

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Dave2302 said:

My MOT Guy just called in to get a Code Read on his 4x4, he is pissing himself, "Fucking twat advised that !!" was his comment :rolleyes:

However, he did say since this years new regs came in a lot more is now "In the opinion of the tester" so I'm guessing your guy is a real anal one.

BTW another of my pet hates is Mechanics / Garages who do not reset Service Indicators when they Service a Car, or don't Erase a Fault Code once fixed :(

That is a part of the bloody job !!

And don't get me started on the absolute morons who do "Diagnosis" by pulling Wiring Plugs off while it's running "to see if it makes any difference mate" .......................

Then the Car ends up at a decent Garage with a few hundred Codes and CAN Bus errors in it :angry:

that is exactly what i thought when i looked at the sheet :lol:  just cant get the staff :lol:

Apparently it’s part of the exam now.... it’s a prerequisite that all mot testers are to be useless on the tools, have a tiny penis, and a huge chip on their shoulder :D

34 minutes ago, Stalker said:

Apparently it’s part of the exam now.... it’s a prerequisite that all mot testers are to be useless on the tools, have a tiny penis, and a huge chip on their shoulder :D

I don’t have a chip on my shoulder but other than that, I would be perfect

I had mondeo mot'd recently ..the mot tester in his infinite wisdom decided to put oil leak in advisody despite the fact the oil leak was fixed and corrosion on front subframe. .The corrosion on front is next to nothing, the back is worse yet not noted. The owner of garage was apologetic, mot tester didn't know it was one of mine! 2 horrible advisories

Oil leak & corrosion - two killers in my experience. 

A customer of mine took his Merc in just after the new rules came in, (I hadn't checked it over), it failed on an oil leak !!

Apparently the tester put some measuring jug under the drip................................................ drip.......................................drip and declared it was over the limits allowed = FAIL :rolleyes:

So how the hell is anyone going to get a pass on a Land Rover :lol:

43 minutes ago, Dave2302 said:

So how the hell is anyone going to get a pass on a Land Rover :lol:

Drain it before test?

3 hours ago, BHM said:

Oil leak & corrosion - two killers in my experience. 

Although if you have a large enough oil leak for long enough it will keep corrosion at bay :D

33 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

Although if you have a large enough oil leak for long enough it will keep corrosion at bay :D

:lol::lol::lol: Try telling that to a punter on a £1295 Astra.

We've had a couple of 'light surface corrosion' advisories all of a sudden.  And one going on about the car being undersealed...so you can't win.

You're right- the word 'corrosion' (even light) is the end of the world to a punter.  

Having said that, I sold a 59 plate very low mileage one owner V70 a few months ago - it came from Manheim Newcastle- and it had one advise for surface corrosion (10k car so I was sure the punter would bail), but he was fine about it. He said 'scottish car'. You can be sure that the cheaper end of the market punter doesn't have the same attitude!

51 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

We've had a couple of 'light surface corrosion' advisories all of a sudden.  And one going on about the car being undersealed...so you can't win.

You're right- the word 'corrosion' (even light) is the end of the world to a punter.  

Having said that, I sold a 59 plate very low mileage one owner V70 a few months ago - it came from Manheim Newcastle- and it had one advise for surface corrosion (10k car so I was sure the punter would bail), but he was fine about it. He said 'scottish car'. You can be sure that the cheaper end of the market punter doesn't have the same attitude!

We used to have a lot of them on Mini's and your right if you underseal it first they then put car has been heavily under sealed almost implying we are hiding something. 

11 minutes ago, AAM90 said:

MOT advises do my head in...pass it or fail it

Arse covering nanny state red tape :(

I think this is a great one, perfect for showing the customer how diligently the MOT testers you use are.  Obvioulsy it's an advisory since rectified with the free included service.  If i was a customer i would love this pointing out to me and it would give me confidence that everything had been done thoroughly... negative to positive.

I’d rather have ‘underseal’ along with undertrays rather than corrosion. It’s the death knell for most car sales.

Yeah we had this once.  Sold a Mazda 6 sharpish after in came into stock and before we had prepped and so the MOT was still to be done. They advised corrosion under side of body.

Decided best thing to do was to tell the customer straight - there is some light corrosion picked up on the MOT and they recommend an underseal. He was fine with it and said if you get it done he will still proceed, which we did and everyones happy.

I wrote in advert that oil leak was addressed, via a new valve cover gasket and pcv valve . I painted rear subframe but left the front as is.. It's obvious by looking at that it's not bad at all.

It's a pure bugger as put so much work in to that car, almost a restoration job and it's now spot on. 83k 57plate mondeo for just over 2k. .Not a single enquiry . Probably get it mot'd again at different garage and word the advert as if it's just come in and company policy to renew mot .